Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
"I didn't get where I am today by supplying less greenery"

What's the matter with you man??
Chlorophyll averse??
Scurvy curious??

πŸ™„πŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ±

I'm not as green as I'm cabbage-looking.

the snail

No shortage of veg here..

But yes we have no tomatoes..
Only just sowing them now.

It's unlikely that totally normal service will resume.
Whenever there are shortages of our of season veg we (the UK) will have less available , because of the extra hassle to importers caused by brexit.
We will have to pay more for it.

There will also be fewer pickers available for larger farms.
Already large growers' are planting less, of certain crops because if that.
So costs will rise - something will have to give.
Again because of brexit.
All this is was wholly predicted by us 'project fear' 'remoaners' and no contingencies were put in place for increasing homegrown supplies.

Of course there are other factors at play , but I think the whole 'bad weather in Morocco and Southern Spain' as a cause was / is a bit of a red herring.
Or basically a lie.

However, climate change and more extreme weather events are increasingly going to affect us as farmers and growers, globally..

The true cost and impacts of food production hasn't really been accounted for for decades.

That's going to have to change if we're going to eat well in the future.

A big part of it is energy prices that make it uneconomic to grow salad crops in heated greenhouses. Add in bad weather elsewhere, and there is a serious shortage. Brexit has made importing into the UK a pita, so we go to the back of the queue.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
A big part of it is energy prices that make it uneconomic to grow salad crops in heated greenhouses. Add in bad weather elsewhere, and there is a serious shortage. Brexit has made importing into the UK a pita, so we go to the back of the queue.

Combined with a shortage of labour to grow and harvest crops in this country.

We're back to the op again - why would those skilled workers want to bring their industry and expertise here under present circumstances.??

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

So Brexit is only making it a pain in the ar*e to import and the weather and cost of growing is the main problem?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I've had people say to me that getting my veg boxes makes it "Like Christmas every week!!"

Which leads me to wonder what their 'actual' Christmasses are like ... πŸ€”

View attachment 3195

Oooh look, I spy some 'golden' turnips πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

He's been, he's been!

Actually to be honest ours is mostly staples. Spuds, onions, carrots, eggs and milk, that sort of thing. When we had more time and energy we would get more interesting things and try to figure out new recipes, but having a kid with specific needs can be quite limiting and you have to fall back on what you know.

I think the most interesting thing today was a fresh mango which these days seems less exotic than some of our more traditionally grown foods.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
He's been, he's been!

Actually to be honest ours is mostly staples. Spuds, onions, carrots, eggs and milk, that sort of thing. When we had more time and energy we would get more interesting things and try to figure out new recipes, but having a kid with specific needs can be quite limiting and you have to fall back on what you know.

I think the most interesting thing today was a fresh mango which these days seems less exotic than some of our more traditionally grown foods.

Yup I get it..
The gap between how you'd like to feed your kids and reality can be quite wide
I used to get all kinds of 'unmentionables' down my kids..

Celeriac, leeks, squash, courgettes,chard etc by sauteeing all the roots etc , steaming a shed load of greens, adding veg stock, whizzed it up with a blender to a thick sludge know as 'green soup*' and put lots of cheese on top.

They'd just spoon it down unaware, and now regard it as their go to comfort food

*Youngest asked me to recreate it when I was visiting him in Glasgow a couple of weeks back

There seemed to be a fair amount of seasonal roots and greens in his local Lidl then - enough to effect a reasonable imitation at least.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It is a sad state of affairs when it's too expensive to grow our own healthy supplies of food, and cheaper to import it

It's not 'too expensive' it's just the way that the supermarkets operate mean that it's uneconomical for many growers in this country to continue.

The multiple buyers control the price, and extract most of the profit.

Consumers don't really care to know the realities, they demand and buy 'cheap' and 'convenient' unseasonal food without considering what has to happen to effect that.

Labour conditions, and environmental consequences are often very bad on larger farms, here and elsewhere.

Foodworkers generally get a very poor deal.

winjim

Yup I get it..
The gap between how you'd like to feed your kids and reality can be quite wide
I used to get all kinds of 'unmentionables' down my kids..

Celeriac, leeks, squash, courgettes,chard etc by sauteeing all the roots etc , steaming a shed load of greens, adding veg stock, whizzed it up with a blender to a thick sludge know as 'green soup*' and put lots of cheese on top.

They'd just spoon it down unaware, and now regard it as their go to comfort food

*Youngest asked me to recreate it when I was visiting him in Glasgow a couple of weeks back

There seemed to be a fair amount of seasonal roots and greens in his local Lidl then - enough to effect a reasonable imitation at least.

The 3yo won't eat anything I cook but will grab a head of broccoli out of the veg box when nobody's looking and happily munch on it, so when I do come to cook, it's covered in little nibbles. He also got snotty with me the other day because I cooked his cavolo nero and he prefers it raw.

He basically survives on a diet of plain cheese sandwiches and illicitly acquired raw vegetables.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
The 3yo won't eat anything I cook but will grab a head of broccoli out of the veg box when nobody's looking and happily munch on it, so when I do come to cook, it's covered in little nibbles. He also got snotty with me the other day because I cooked his cavolo nero and he prefers it raw.

He basically survives on a diet of plain cheese sandwiches and illicitly acquired raw vegetables.

Sounds perfectly reasonable diet to me..
I guess if you cut up same veg raw and put a nice dressing on it , it will be refused.??

Just keep 'hiding' the brassicas, I'd say πŸ˜‡πŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ±

winjim

Sounds perfectly reasonable diet to me..
I guess if you cut up same veg raw and put a nice dressing on it , it will be refused.??

Just keep 'hiding' the brassicas, I'd say πŸ˜‡πŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ±

The only dressing he likes is soy sauce on rice. He won't even have pasta with sauce on, he only eats it plain. He also likes plain dry cereal and dry oats. He'll eat the butter off a scone without touching the scone itself, and the icing off a cake without eating the cake. Weirdo.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
The only dressing he likes is soy sauce on rice. He won't even have pasta with sauce on, he only eats it plain. He also likes plain dry cereal and dry oats. He'll eat the butter off a scone without touching the scone itself, and the icing off a cake without eating the cake. Weirdo.

I really wouldn't worry, I've met lots of kids with far 'stranger' and more restrictive eating habits.
And they've been fine.

Keep your cool and he'll grow up into a perfectly 'normal' adult πŸ‘πŸΌ

Top Bottom