Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not 'too expensive' it's just the way that the supermarkets operate

yeah that's what I meant. I wonder if Labour have any policies on how to get British farmers and producers a better deal, so we can buy stuff here that was grown here? Tomatoes for example, I don't mind paying extra for the "on the vine" ones which actually have flavour. I'd pay even more if good British tomatoes were on sale

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
yeah that's what I meant. I wonder if Labour have any policies on how to get British farmers and producers a better deal, so we can buy stuff here that was grown here? Tomatoes for example, I don't mind paying extra for the "on the vine" ones which actually have flavour. I'd pay even more if good British tomatoes were on sale

Labour have been a bit more in interested in food and farming and its impact, and importance since they cottoned onto the fact that not all country dwellers, and nor landworkers are Tory voting, tweed wearing pheasant blasters.

It's the Tories who are (unsurprisingly) less interested in market regulation or protecting workers rights.

Unfortunately brexitting although a labour policy partly because of the desire for renationalisation has played thoroughly into the 'anti protection' 'free marketeers' hands particularly when it comes to farm gate prices.

The CAP although imperfect in many ways, did give some protection against shocks in the system, protected against the very worst labour conditions, and of course encouraged (generally) better environmental practices.

In short - we're worse off, as an industry outside of the CAP, than inside it

You can of course as a consumer seek out the produce of more ethically run businesses, and buy via the shorter supply chain .

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

Screenshot_20230228-122840.png

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
The UK voted for Brexit, though, Northern Ireland didn't.

And as a recent Supreme Court ruling informs us - Scotland's votes are worthless, so what North Britain voted for doesn't count! 👍

I can totally see why neither the Scots nor NI wanted to brexit.

What still mystifies me is why the Welsh - who got a lot of easily seen help - direct from the EU voted for it 🤔

matticus

Guru

What still mystifies me is why the Welsh - who got a lot of easily seen help - direct from the EU voted for it 🤔

Its very misleading to make these sweeping generalisation/comparisons - NI and Scot both had around 40% Leave voters.[44% and 38% respectively]. So perhaps many Welsh are asking: "Why on earth did all those scots - especially N of Perth - want to Leave???"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_...d_Kingdom_EU_referendum_2016_area_results.svg

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Its very misleading to make these sweeping generalisation/comparisons - NI and Scot both had around 40% Leave voters.[44% and 38% respectively]. So perhaps many Welsh are asking: "Why on earth did all those scots - especially N of Perth - want to Leave???"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_...d_Kingdom_EU_referendum_2016_area_results.svg

Well Matt, for the avoidance of doubt

(which I assumed wouldn't have arisen, except amongst perhaps the very hard of thinking)

I wasn't implying that no Scots, nor Northern Irish had voted for brexit.

Merely that fewer of them had done that, than had voted to remain.

🙄

Rusty Nails

Country Member

Like England there were parts of Wales that did not vote to Leave, and in England the number of people voting Leave was much greater in the poorer areas, and higher in percentage terms than Wales.

Disaffection with the governing classes/establishment of the UK was possibly the biggest factor of all.

matticus

Guru
Like England there were parts of Wales that did not vote to Leave, and in England the number of people voting Leave was much greater in the poorer areas, and higher in percentage terms than Wales.

Yup. Seems simple enough.

But I hear that some of the very hard of thinking are just mystified by the situation. Hey ho ...

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

Disaffection with the governing classes/establishment of the UK was possibly the biggest factor of all.

Yeah I know.

It does seem that those people who were directly receiving help from the EU in designated 'less favoured areas'
eg Wales, parts of the southwest, and northeast

Deliberately voted to leave the very institution that was taking at least some notice of them, and their plight, and investing in jobs and infrastructure..

Did they imagine that after brexitting those lovely Tories were suddenly going to swoop in and take over doing these helpful things - only do them thricefold, and far more vigorously??? .

And that the only reason that the UK government hadn't been helping so far was because those nasty nasty Eurocrats wouldn't let UK gov do a better job of it themselves. ??

Last edited:
Top Bottom