Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup. Until we invest a *lot* more money in education we will continue to have a two tier education system. My older daughter isn't that keen on maths but she is lucky to be at a school where she can be in a class of 11 other girls all of whom have Dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties, has extra support available when needed and excellent teachers. As a result she was able to help her younger sister extrapolate and convert algebra to make X the subject of an equation whilst her parents were struggling a bit.

We need to learn from Finland where they invest hugely in education, have small class sizes and excellent resources.

I agree. I lived in Finland (Helsinki and Oulu) for a few years before heading to Asia.

There are two issues with that which'll annoy people in the UK. One, there's no private education system. That means that well of parents, who in the UK would send their kids to private schools, will insist that state schools are up to high standards which then benefits all kids. Two, Finland has much higher rates of taxation and the UK is populated by too many people who want this kind of education system, as well as a fully funtioning NHS, but only want to pay Asian rates of tax.

You could add a third and that's the British Establishment, who the UK is run purely for their interests, will never allow private education to be scrapped.

albion

Veteran
They might 'want' but in fact the masses nearly end up footing the bills.
Those Tory peer type scams run into billions, whilst the Brexit scam is certainly 100s of billions.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I agree. I lived in Finland (Helsinki and Oulu) for a few years before heading to Asia.

There are two issues with that which'll annoy people in the UK. One, there's no private education system. That means that well of parents, who in the UK would send their kids to private schools, will insist that state schools are up to high standards which then benefits all kids. Two, Finland has much higher rates of taxation and the UK is populated by too many people who want this kind of education system, as well as a fully funtioning NHS, but only want to pay Asian rates of tax.

You could add a third and that's the British Establishment, who the UK is run purely for their interests, will never allow private education to be scrapped.

Gut feeling is, this is correct, but, looking it up, it is, to me, difficult to "prove". Income tax rates rise more rapidly, than UK figures, but, Municipal Taxes (ie Council Tax?) are lower. The nearest I can see to NI Contributions, is the various compulsory insurance they pay, which come to approx 10%, so, similar to UK (from an Employee viewpoint). It would be interesting to see some comparative figures for "typical" situations. It is interesting that Health, Pension, Unemployment Benefit appear to be funded by Insurance, unlike here. Perhaps, provision is more "efficient" that the UK model?

Tanis8472

Regular
I'm very pro-Europe but I voted to keep my ex-wife's family out of the country...

View: https://youtu.be/-0ltABgXimo

I live in this racist/xenophobic town of Boston.
30+ years ago, they were still moaning about travelling workers. Mostly from sunny scunny.

It's disgusted me for many years.

I know of business owners, who voted for brexit, but relies on immigrants to pay their bills. They really don't get it. :rolleyes:

And the public gets what the public wants....

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ars-research-finds?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Even with the onslaught of evidence to the contrary, Sunak yesterday was still banging-on about having taken back control of our borders (as a backbencher banged-on about 'illegals') and the freedom to make all those great trade deals.
Meanwhile Starmer can't or more precisely won't grasp the opportunity.....

We're farked.

Last edited:

albion

Veteran
And the public gets what the public wants....

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ars-research-finds?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Even with the onslaught of evidence to the contrary, Sunak yesterday was still banging-on about having taken back control of our borders (as a backbencher banged-on about 'illegals') and the freedom to make all those great trade deals.
Meanwhile Starmer can't or more precisely won't grasp the opportunity.....

We're farked.

Any speech on Brexit and its benefit is now one big own goal. It deservedly got spontaneous laughter in the commons.

Mugshot

Über Member

Brexit added £210 to household food bills, LSE says (BBC link)

Brexit hasn't affected me or anyone I know, everybody has forgotten about it and moved on, no one cares anymore :okay:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
How farked are you feeling right now?

Potentially quite a lot. At the end of the year the financial passporting arrangements run out. This incompetent government has not got round to negotiating a replacement arrangement. The result of this for me personally is that my bank in the UK is threatening to close down the accounts of all ex pats. That would be pretty catastrophic as I need a bank account in the UK. International accounts are possible but you have to be stinking rich. It was already extremely difficult to manage finances in the UK from here, but Brexit has made everything worse.

Visiting the country is much harder now inasmuch as you have to queue for an eternity at the port to show your passport, as in you arrive well in time as requested and still miss the train or boat. They take ages doing this, I can only assume being under instructions to make it look as though Britain really has taken back control of the borders.

You also cannot bring things back into the EU from the UK as the UK is no longer willing to guarantee minimum standards. It is not, however, clear exactly what you may or may not actually bring with you. For an individual that may be more annoying than important, but for companies trading and who have deadlines to meet it could entail loss of business due to red tape.

What adds insult to injury is that no-one so far can really say in concrete terms what the country has gained from all this.

D

Deleted member 28

Potentially quite a lot. At the end of the year the financial passporting arrangements run out. This incompetent government has not got round to negotiating a replacement arrangement. The result of this for me personally is that my bank in the UK is threatening to close down the accounts of all ex pats. That would be pretty catastrophic as I need a bank account in the UK. International accounts are possible but you have to be stinking rich. It was already extremely difficult to manage finances in the UK from here, but Brexit has made everything worse.

Visiting the country is much harder now inasmuch as you have to queue for an eternity at the port to show your passport, as in you arrive well in time as requested and still miss the train or boat. They take ages doing this, I can only assume being under instructions to make it look as though Britain really has taken back control of the borders.

You also cannot bring things back into the EU from the UK as the UK is no longer willing to guarantee minimum standards. It is not, however, clear exactly what you may or may not actually bring with you. For an individual that may be more annoying than important, but for companies trading and who have deadlines to meet it could entail loss of business due to red tape.

What adds insult to injury is that no-one so far can really say in concrete terms what the country has gained from all this.

I was asking the whippet chaser but cheers anyway.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I was asking the whippet chaser but cheers anyway.
You're welcome.
I might start posting links highlighting the hardship felt by some whilst not experiencing it myself in order to make me look sympathetic.
The not 'experiencing hardship myself' was one of the reasons for posting above. You do tend to have an I'm alright Jacques when it comes to Brexit.

I might not be facing a choice of eating or heating, but in a country where many have been left behind and not seen much if anything of increased prosperity pre-covid it's no joke. The point is not moaning about the result 6 years ago, but rather to stop pretending everything is OK, look at the real damage and try to do something about it. That does not necessarily mean rejoining, but a change in direction to limit damage is more than overdue.

The notion/fantasy of Britain being a re-born world power is about as accurate as the statement 'Britannia rules the waves'.

Top Bottom