P&O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

what actual cash price are you willing to pay to support the sacked workers?
What as in for a sailing or wages ? Everyone should be on 15 quid a hour with a secure contract as far as I'm concerned.If you on about the Ferry price whatever that is....meaning feck P&0 whatever there price is.I don't drink in Wetherspoons because it's cheap,I avoid big buisness wherever I can and try and use someone local.In the bigger picture does it matter ? Probally not...but it makes me feel a little better.
Try it...you might feel a difference.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
What as in for a sailing or wages ? Everyone should be on 15 quid a hour with a secure contract as far as I'm concerned.If you on about the Ferry price whatever that is....meaning feck P&0 whatever there price is.I don't drink in Wetherspoons because it's cheap,I avoid big buisness wherever I can and try and use someone local.In the bigger picture does it matter ? Probally not...but it makes me feel a little better.
Try it...you might feel a difference.
Very good, now at what point does 'backing the workers' become uneconomic?

How much extra would you pay to not use P&O? If the difference was £10, £20, £100, £200, where would you draw the line?

Ian H

Guru
Very good, now at what point does 'backing the workers' become uneconomic?

How much extra would you pay to not use P&O? If the difference was £10, £20, £100, £200, where would you draw the line?
He was suggesting those wages for everyone, not just P&O employees.

P&O seem already to have reached the point where paying millions in dividends has become uneconomic. But they still pay them.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
There are currently, I think, only two companies that I boycott; one is Evans Cycles and the other is Ryan Air. The latter I have blacklisted for many years now, even when they were doing flights for around £1. They could drop their price to a penny each way with free luggage allowance and I'd still not use them. Whether that means paying £300 to a competitor or not taking that holiday in Italy after all, I will never use them.

I suspect there will be people who feel just as strongly about P&O now.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
There are currently, I think, only two companies that I boycott; one is Evans Cycles and the other is Ryan Air. The latter I have blacklisted for many years now, even when they were doing flights for around £1. They could drop their price to a penny each way with free luggage allowance and I'd still not use them. Whether that means paying £300 to a competitor or not taking that holiday in Italy after all, I will never use them.

I suspect there will be people who feel just as strongly about P&O now.
^^^^^

This for Ryanair, even though it has cost me money over the years. I can't boycott P&O because I don't use the ferries.
Sadly, I suspect CtC may be right about boycotts having a limited effect because not everyone can afford to do what they would lpossibly like to, and many people don't give a toss about the situation of the staff when they can save a few quid.
I hope I am wrong, but only time will tell.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Perhaps a silly question, but could the government not legislate that all ships using British Ports have to pay their staff the UK minimum wage for at least the periods they are in UK waters?

Or that they have to pay UK minimum wage Period.
The risk there though is that when they go to other ports, they pay their minimum wage too. I wouldn't have thought the minimum wage in ports in some parts of the world is that attractive, if they even have one!

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
But yea we all want cheap 🙄 but at what cost ?
This is my point exactly, the very point you have spent pages telling me I am wrong about.

If RyanAir is so dreadful, how come their flights are full? If Weatherspoons is awful, how come their pubs are full? If P&O are so crap, how come their ferries are full?

As much as it upsets those of you on here who are so right on with all this, the reality in life is that their business models work, and most people will huff and puff about the scandal, then bob across the ocean to France on a P&O ferry or have a couple of pints in Weatherspoons before getting on a RyanAir flight to the sun.

It's a head on clash between how you would wish to things to be and the real world. The real world wins.

D

Deleted member 49

This is my point exactly, the very point you have spent pages telling me I am wrong about.

If RyanAir is so dreadful, how come their flights are full? If Weatherspoons is awful, how come their pubs are full? If P&O are so crap, how come their ferries are full?

As much as it upsets those of you on here who are so right on with all this, the reality in life is that their business models work, and most people will huff and puff about the scandal, then bob across the ocean to France on a P&O ferry or have a couple of pints in Weatherspoons before getting on a RyanAir flight to the sun.

It's a head on clash between how you would wish to things to be and the real world. The real world wins.
As I've said before....don't judge me by your standards.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
If RyanAir is so dreadful, how come their flights are full?

Because they do cheap flights, obviously.

I used to fly with them but a particularly bad experience with them, and their refusal to even acknowledge their mistakes let alone reimburse my additional costs, meant I did the only thing I could and withdrew my future custom. Their competitors now get my money. Oh, I'm sure Mr O'Leary won't give a hoot or even notice my absence but he's never getting a penny from me again. Nothing to do with whatever right on is. I hold companies to certain standards and if they can't or won't meet them then I take my business elsewhere. Other people have different standards and that's fine.

As for Wetherspoons, I used to attend a monthly social group meeting at one of their places until that nugget Martin started spouting bollox about Brexit so I stopped going. A few others did the same, so the organiser chose a different venue for the meetings.

People will choose to use businesses, or not, based on their own values; these vary a lot but you can't, with any credibility, push the notion that *nobody* will boycott P&O.

D

Deleted member 49

P&O sailors work a week on board at a go. So as they are always 'at work', they can't go home if their shift finishes 250 miles off of Hull can they, then they should be paid all the time shouldn't they?
Doesn't work like that....as someone who's worked on them and other cruise ships let me tell you a secret.You don't actually get paid for your hours on board lol.
Do you think there all sailors 😂 I'm gonna let you into another secret,there's loads of workers behind the scenes.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Doesn't work like that....as someone who's worked on them and other cruise ships let me tell you a secret.You don't actually get paid for your hours on board lol.
Do you think there all sailors 😂 I'm gonna let you into another secret,there's loads of workers behind the scenes.
Now then, how do you think the union got to the £1.40 figure they tweeted?

Top Bottom