P&O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Now then, how do you think the union got to the £1.40 figure they tweeted?
I'm guessing because that's what it is ? Paying a salary is different if that's what your referring to.
"The Dubai-owned company, said Indian ratings brought in by offshore agencies to operate on the Dover-Calais route were being paid $2.38 (£1.80) an hour.
It is understood that P&O Ferries disputes the figures, but it declined to discuss the rates or give alternative rates as the crew are employed by a third-party agency."
So I'll refer you to my initial post I think everyone should be on 15 quid per hour min wage, with a secure contract.
I don't think you should be able to sack staff to bring in agency workers on the equivalent of 1,80 a hour.
Clear enough.

Salty seadog

Now then, how do you think the union got to the £1.40 figure they tweeted?

By sighting the contracts from men on the inside.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
How much extra would you pay to not use P&O? If the difference was £10, £20, £100, £200, where would you draw the line?
My boycott of P&O wasn't particularly noble as iirc they were often (though not always) more expensive than their competitors, but I would have been prepared to pay a reasonable premium not to use them. The Channel crossing routes are so competitive that I doubt if the difference would likely be more than £30 to £40 and often less.

You can always opt to use a cheaper but less convenient time.
As much as it upsets those of you on here who are so right on with all this, the reality in life is that their business models work, and most people will huff and puff about the scandal, then bob across the ocean to France on a P&O ferry
I think you are missing the point somewhat. Unless large numbers refuse to use a service it will continue with those who don't care about the workforce. What matters personally is not to be party to the actions of corporate cowboy outfits who treat their staff like dirt. Something of a conscience issue where you can avoid 'blessing' bad employers with your hard-earned ready cash.

When these big companies such as P&O find it cheaper to break the law and fire and rehire at cheaper rates it just shows how fecked our employment laws are ! More laws to restrict unions in the past 40yrs than to protect employees....
But yea we all want cheap 🙄 but at what cost ?

View: https://twitter.com/The_TUC/status/1505880068651982848?t=i24dD2AfkvgS8ygV5s9J8A&s=19

It's worth delving a little into the employments practices of Dubai itself, effectively the captive slave-labour of migrant workers. Dreadful place.

mudsticks

Squire
It's worth delving a little into the employments practices of Dubai itself, effectively the captive slave-labour of migrant workers. Dreadful place.
It's the same old same old outsourcing of our dirty , or hard work onto the shoulders of those least able to object, while we turn varying degrees of blind eye because we like cheapness.

Race to the bottom in workers , human rights, and environmental consequences

If you 'take a stand' as and when you can you're immediately accused of being a 'middle class do gooder'

But if we don't show solidarity with our fellow humans we end up with horrible abuses and exploitation.

I can take being accused of 'virtue signalling' if it means issues that have been conveniently brushed under the carpet are tackled

It's like anything... If it seems unbelievably cheap, it's because someone or something else is paying the true cost, hidden from view, overseas or behind closed doors.

Of course those at the bottom of the heap , economically speaking are forced to exploit others to source their needs, as very often that's all they can afford to do.

Meanwhile the very rich get even richer on the backs of the majority..

It's the same old same old outsourcing of our dirty , or hard work onto the shoulders of those least able to object, while we turn varying degrees of blind eye because we like cheapness.

Race to the bottom in workers , human rights, and environmental consequences

If you 'take a stand' as and when you can you're immediately accused of being a 'middle class do gooder'

But if we don't show solidarity with our fellow humans we end up with horrible abuses and exploitation.

I can take being accused of 'virtue signalling' if it means issues that have been conveniently brushed under the carpet are tackled

It's like anything... If it seems unbelievably cheap, it's because someone or something else is paying the true cost, hidden from view, overseas or behind closed doors.

Of course those at the bottom of the heap , economically speaking are forced to exploit others to source their needs, as very often that's all they can afford to do.

Meanwhile the very rich get even richer on the backs of the majority..
But removing migrants passports so they're effectively trapped is another layer of human degredation....
Still, Oil, money etc.

mudsticks

Squire
But removing migrants passports so they're effectively trapped is another layer of human degredation....
Still, Oil, money etc.
Of course it is, but that doesn't make the 'other' levels of degredation any less bad..

Sometimes I think that people / companies / governments actively welcome other people / companies / governments being even worse than them, just so that they don't look 'quite so awful' by comparison..

"You can't complain about your troubles - cos that lot over there have it far worse - so you have to shut up because you're still better of than them"

If some of this is true, then it's good news....

From https://kent999.co.uk/

We have been informed that large numbers of agency crew brought in by P&O Ferries to replace the 800 British seafarers the company sacked have already walked off the job.
The Union has been informed that on one vessel there is now only a single replacement engineer remaining. The other five all left the ship after discovering that they had been hired to take the jobs of P&O crew who were thrown off the vessel last week.
A Source believes that this vessel is now breaching regulations by burning heavy fuel oil in port, as the crew are unfamiliar with the vessel’s operation.
Deck officers are also leaving, the Union has been informed, and the company is being forced to try recruiting from further afield to fill the gaps.
'The company has been producing crew lists and having to revise them immediately to strike off workers who have left the job,' Nautilus executive officer Martyn Gray said.
'The company are saying it will restart sailings from Dover on Thursday but we are sceptical that it will be able to do so. These actions by agency crew, acting in solidarity with the fired workers, are hindering the company. P&O must find a completely new crew for each vessel, and the people they do manage to recruit are leaving straightaway.'
P&O Ferries has claimed that having the vessels inactive is costing the company £1 million per day.
Recruiting an entirely new crew that can operate the vessel in a safe manner is almost impossible in the timescales proposed by P&O, Mr Gray added.
'For a single deck officer, familiarisation would normally take 5-7 days. Replacing the entire crew, though, is like taking a ship out of the yard for the first time – normally you would have a handover of 4-6 weeks, and that is with a yard team teaching you the ropes on a brand new ship. P&O Ferries is proposing to bring these vessels – which are all more than 10 years old – back into operation within just a week.
'Replying to enquiries by Nautilus, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) confirmed that it would carry out inspections of all eight vessels before they return to service, focusing on safety drills. For the Dover ferries in particular this is vital, as crossing the Channel is like trying to drive a bus across the M25 at rush hour – it is not a place for a crew with no experience of the vessel. We call on the MCA to honour the pledge it has made and to release all inspection reports to the public.'

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Not from a business continuity point of view, surely it makes it better? There will be barely a hiccup in the sailings.

It all seems completely legal, neatly planned and carried out with ruthless efficiency!

Now how many of you are going to cancel your trips and crossings that rely on P&O ferries? The reality of course is that the ferries will be rammed at the Easter holidays as really, like so much, no-one really gives a toss about 800 P&O workers.
That lasted well!

You were sort of right about that last bit but it is nothing to be proud of.

Top Bottom