P&O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
That lasted well!

You were sort of right about that last bit but it is nothing to be proud of.
I didn't say they should be proud, I said they carried it out efficiently.

I also didn't say it was legal, I said it seems completely legal at the time it happened. That has changed, but they have avoided months of strikes and pointless negotiations and can seemingly afford the fine.

Life will move on and P&O will survive this storm is my prediction.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I didn't say they should be proud, I said they carried it out efficiently.

I also didn't say it was legal, I said it seems completely legal at the time it happened. That has changed, but they have avoided months of strikes and pointless negotiations and can seemingly afford the fine.

It wasn't legal, completely or otherwise, at the time it happened or now. The law hasn't changed since then. I would have hoped you based your comment on some knowledge of employment law, but apparently not.

Predictions are glorified, often biased, guesswork, unlike legal facts.

https://apple.news/AaXLsTenqT8-9ILMNQUybbA
A P&O Ferries ship has been detained in Larne, Northern Ireland, according to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

The agency said the ship, the European Causeway, was held "due to failures on crew familiarisation, vessel documentation and crew training".

It added: "The vessel will remain under detention until all these issues are resolved by P&O Ferries.

"Only then will it be reinspected."

Well colour me surprised.

lazybloke

Regular
I've been wondering how close P&O are to going under. The current situation is an existential threat, they are possibly already past the point of no return. It would be interesting to see their financial data.

Most of the following is necessary if P&O to survive;

Improve working conditions and payscales (legislation needed??)​
Develop a viable business model that doesn't prioritise dividends over all else​
New management team that isn't tarnished by predecessors​
Sell-off (ie change of ownership)​
And ideally, reinstate the sacked staff (which would also address the current safety concerns)​

Do all of the above, and I wouldn't see a reason for passengers or freight companies to boycott P&O any longer.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
It wasn't legal, completely or otherwise, at the time it happened or now. The law hasn't changed since then. I would have hoped you based your comment on some knowledge of employment law, but apparently not.
But they are going to change to make it illegal and make them reinstate the staff.
If the law already exists, why do they need to change it?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
But they are going to change to make it illegal and make them reinstate the staff.
If the law already exists, why do they need to change it?
Like you I am not an employment law expert so, unlike you, I won't pretend to know the answer.

It could possibly be that they intend to not change the law making it illegal but the penalties or reparation steps available once the law is broken.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I see that P&O Cruises has started a big advertising campaign to distance themselves from P&O Ferries. I caught a bit of it on YouTube and it was basically pleading with the viewer to understand that they're different companies and not to cancel their holiday plans...

Top Bottom