Poppies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No issue with anyone having opinions...or people questioning those opinions. This forum would mostly consist of one post threads otherwise.

Opinions are...well I'm sure you know the rest.

Odd that you invoke the ghost of the blessed Mary but I’m sure you have your reasons.

Is it safe to assume that you don’t share my take on the war diorama and its architects?

Odd that you invoke the ghost of the blessed Mary but I’m sure you have your reasons.

Is it safe to assume that you don’t share my take on the war diorama and its architects?

@Rusty Nails can speak for himself but your post resuscitating this thread looks like feishisation to me.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

I'm sure you know what I meant with my comments about Mary Whitehouse.

If by diorama you are talking about the pillar box and the poppy construction, you are right.

I have family (now dead) who fought in the war in Burma and Europe, including one who was a pow in Burma. Some of those never said a word about the war and some went to the Remembrance day parades. To each his (or her) own and not a hint of fetishisation.

P.S. I don't own a poppy, or stand in silence on Remembrance Day.

All uphill

It's difficult to grasp the reality of war for those of us who have not experienced it; too easy to think it is like watching a war film while sitting on the couch in our safe homes.

I can't remember who it was that said he didn't understand what war was until he realised the enemy soldier in front of him fully intended ripping his guts out.

I've recently come back from the WW1 battlefields of Belgium. Moving, beautiful and terribly sad, but could I begin to understand the fear and pain? Not really.

I was shocked to see a group of middle-aged Englishmen in camouflage gear excitedly identifying each ridge and trenchline.

It seems to me we have to be very careful to avoid glorifying war if we want to protect the next generations.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
@Rusty Nails can speak for himself but your post resuscitating this thread looks like feishisation to me.

Beauty (or ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder.

Since it was specific to the RAF I can understand why they put models of aeroplanes as a clearly recognisable symbol of that organisation. It may have been simplistic, designed by a committee, and lacked a certain amount of artistic style, but luckily that is not a punishable offence.

I agree fully with the last sentence of @All uphill but there can be a fine line between glorifying War and ceremonially recognising those who fought and died in it. Opinions may vary on where this line is set.

Incidentally, the Blessed Mary of the Whitehouse would have had apoplexy if she had been aware of the fetishism around Remembrance Day.

D

Deleted member 121

I have a great deal of interest in history and war. Nothing is glorious about it. I, like many others i suspect, have family who fought and died. I have family buried in what was then Mesopotamia and is now situated in Iraq and another who was shot, gassed and was a prisoner of war in the Dietkirchen-Limburg POW camp and who lived until he was 90 having died on new years day in 1977. Our leaders glorify war but then they would, they need fresh blood when it suits them and not theirs, even with the historic consequences for all to see...

"Join the army and see the world...."

Views from the MOL comment section...

"I'm not buying a poppy this year now they've gone all woke"

"I'm not wasting my money on a paper one. I'll just wear the plastic one that I've been wearing for the past ten years"

"Next they'll be forcing us to wear rainbow poppies"

mudsticks

Squire

"I'm not wasting my money on a paper one. I'll just wear the plastic one that I've been wearing for the past ten years"

It's almost, but not quite ceased to amaze me, how much people love telling on themselves in these situations of anonymity 🙄

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Veteran

Not sure if I can link to what I wrote in the other place last week. But it was very easy to predict what would happen.

“I await the calls from the usual parts of the Press about the British Legion going woke with their new plastic free poppy.”

multitool

Shaman
Photo_talks_1699008551917.jpg

multitool

Shaman
Massive potential for an unholy confluence of Poppy and Statue wankêrs this weekend, with a Palestine peace march (on Saturday) and Remembrance Sunday.

Top Bottom