Racist Politician

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
I am aware of their different heritages, and of the fact that racism is not a uniquely white phenomenon. But what she seemed to be implying is that he as an individual wasn't respecting his ethnic heritage. So my question isn't whether it was right or wrong, but whether the term 'racist' is entirely appropriate in this case. I worry that words lose their meaning when used too loosely.

I think that is actually a good point. (and seems totally different to your last post! But anyway, bygones ... )

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It is interesting. The focus on identity politics in recent years seems very divisive to me. Noone would accuse a white person of not respecting their white-based heritage. It would be considered quite right wing to say it, I think. I suppose you get people called a traitor to their class, which is similar. Gay people get similar admonishments if they fall out of line with what is considered the gay community group think too.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I have nothing against Tory leaning people pointing out racism, sexism, homophobia or any other injustice too

But when the OP is an unwarranted attack on what left leaning members may or may not be thinking, then this thread deserves to be put in the lame bin.

I mean it's almost like spen has used a real life example of alleged racism to try to score a political point.

I agree that the apparent motivation of the post was to cause a bit of mischief, but it does seem to have prompted some pertinent comments about the use of the term "racist" and the different emphasis on the words of politicians by people of differing political persuasions, especially on social media.

I have no issues with anyone using examples of alleged racism to score political points e.g. Johnson/letter boxes, Nadine Dorries/Chuka Umunna.

Beebo

Veteran
Given that this was a BAME person commenting on the behaviour of another BAME person, it might be interesting to hear your definition of racism.
Could a white person commenting on the behaviour of another white person ever be seen as racist?
To be clear, I'm not condoning her remarks, merely wondering whether calling them racist is a little lazy.

Of course a white person can be racist to white people.
See UKIPs seance on Romanians and Poles.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I remember a senior member of British sport being sacked for failing to use "people of colour" correctly in an interview*. There was no forgiveness on Cyclechat for him!

*IIRC he called them black. Not sure.
Sometimes, if you're not sure about something or don't really remember what was said, it's best not to fill it in with made-up stuff.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Of course a white person can be racist to white people.
See UKIPs seance on Romanians and Poles.

Closer to home, all that mithering about "gammon".

matticus

Guru
Sometimes, if you're not sure about something or don't really remember what was said, it's best not to fill it in with made-up stuff.

My post was pretty clear about which bit I was sure of [which happened to be the important bit], and what I wasn't [the less important bit]. But thanks for the tip all the same . x

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

I see Kier has no problem in calling out racism

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/28/keir...mments-about-chancellor-were-racist-17463900/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/starmer-labour-rupa-huq-kwarteng-racist-b2177042.html

He puts others who try to avoid calling out racism to shame.

On a slightly different tact, are our MPs not aware that remarks they make are likely to be repeated? It was very naive of this lady to say what she did in public. Politicians of all sides do it repeatedly, and they are supposedly leading us

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
On a slightly different tact, are our MPs not aware that remarks they make are likely to be repeated? It was very naive of this lady to say what she did in public. Politicians of all sides do it repeatedly, and they are supposedly leading us

Indeed. It does rather make me wonder about their (lack) of intelligence.

Top Bottom