Rishi - be a Robin Hood, Tax the richer and give to the poorer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
At what level do you stop as there will be no incentive to get a job if not working makes life comfortable enough.
#AccidentallyLeftWing

D

Deleted member 28

Is money the only reason people go to work?
I do, to enable me the luxuries in life money allows.

I had 6mths off a few years ago following a knee replacement and not once did I think to myself " jeez I miss going to work ".

I went back when my full pay dropped to half, I'll never be bored when I finish as I have plenty to occupy me.

Others are different I know and I suppose it depends what you do for a living as I can understand some jobs are far more rewarding than others but I'm sure If I never install another antenna or fix another microwave link fault I'll cope.

I enjoy the craic with the lads and the moneys half decent but I've never been a 'live to work ' kind of bloke.

I've never felt the need to feel 'important ' either so I'll have no hesitation on knocking it on the head when the time's right.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is money the only reason people go to work?
Can’t speak for anyone else, but, once I retired, and, had pension, strangely, I had no inclination to go to work. I did, to my surprise, miss the people interaction, but, I soon made new “mates”.

So, in my case, I think that is a “yes”.

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Can’t speak for anyone else, but, once I retired, and, had pension, strangely, I had no inclination to go to work. I did, to my surprise, miss the people interaction, but, I soon made new “mates”.

So, in my case, I think that is a “yes”.
I retired at 50. It was far too young and permanent holidays soon get boring, so within six months was working again 2/3 days a week self-employed. I enjoyed the part-time life for 14 years, but one day, when doing my tax return I decided it would be the last. In the ten years since then I have enjoyed retirement plus volunteering one day a week.

I quite like the idea of a universal basic wage but would definitely want to work as well, although I was lucky in that I had challenging and interesting jobs.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I retired at 50. It was far too young and permanent holidays soon get boring, so within six months was working again 2/3 days a week self-employed. I enjoyed the part-time life for 14 years, but one day, when doing my tax return I decided it would be the last. In the ten years since then I have enjoyed retirement plus volunteering one day a week.

I quite like the idea of a universal basic wage but would definitely want to work as well, although I was lucky in that I had challenging and interesting jobs.

Yes, I did a bit of voluntary stuff too. I also had an interesting and challenging job (lots of travel, lots of problem solving), but, not as interesting as doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. Each to their own. ;)

D

Deleted member 49

Must be pretty poor kings, if they are living below my standard (not that I am complaining about my standard). ;)
Royal family seem to do pretty well of their universal basic income...like I say there's plenty to go round.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Imagine a society where every single person was 'comfortable enough'.
But I don't want to be 'comfortable enough'. I have worked hard, done lots of learning, courses, progressed and now I am 'very comfortable' for my standards, but still extremely poor compared to others.

I don't want to drop my standards though thanks.

D

Deleted member 49

But I don't want to be 'comfortable enough'. I have worked hard, done lots of learning, courses, progressed and now I am 'very comfortable' for my standards, but still extremely poor compared to others.

I don't want to drop my standards though thanks.
You dropped your standards when you voted....

Top Bottom