Rishi - be a Robin Hood, Tax the richer and give to the poorer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Über Member
I think @winjim has already given you an answer, although it's nice to see you acknowledge that what's being stated is "the obvious".

It's like me coming on here ranting and raving about something, stating the obvious but having zero idea about how to address it.

According to the Iceland boss, food banks are currently refusing fresh veg because people are not taking it because they can't afford to cook it. We have a situation where people can neither afford to buy food or prepare it, while at the same time, as @theclaud points out, the chancellor is almost at the point where he can have dinner in a different house, every night, for a fortnight.
Something's not right, but the chances that you'll get detailed taxation and spending plans from a bunch of, I assume, non-economists on here, are likely pretty slim.

Last edited:
Or is it simply the fact that when calls for 'tax the wealthy' 'hammer the rich' it might just be you that gets charged for it.
I have already indicated how I feel about that.
What does 'taxes that have already been invested' mean?
It means the societal structures, notably education and health services, that have provided you with an environment in which to progress. They were all paid for from taxation or borrowing (which is future taxation).
What does 'ability' to pay mean?
Roughly it means disposable income.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
What has taxation ever done for us?

1648121319514.png

Mugshot

Über Member
For balance I don't think I should pay any more because I think I contribute a fair amount already
This is a revealing response.
I seem to recall you saying on more than one occasion that you couldn't care less about prices increasing as a result of Brexit, potentially making things more difficult for those already finding things tough, as it wouldn't matter to you if things cost more.
Yet, when it comes to the possibility of paying a bit more to help out your fellow countrymen, who may be struggling for one reason or another, well, that's a different story isn't it?

D

Deleted member 28

This is a revealing response.
I seem to recall you saying on more than one occasion that you couldn't care less about prices increasing as a result of Brexit, potentially making things more difficult for those already finding things tough, as it wouldn't matter to you if things cost more.
Yet, when it comes to the possibility of paying a bit more to help out your fellow countrymen, who may be struggling for one reason or another, well, that's a different story isn't it?
So how much should people be paying in your 'sophisticated' system then, or is it too sophisticated to be able to put a figure on it?

Or putting it simply, do you think that YOU should be paying more on the amount YOU earn?

For balance I don't think I should pay any more because I think I contribute a fair amount already, If however the rates went up the odd couple of percent I wouldn't moan about it because as already said I doubt I'll be going to a food bank any time soon.
How convenient you should miss the second half of my comment off, must try harder.

D

Deleted member 28

I have already indicated how I feel about that.

It means the societal structures, notably education and health services, that have provided you with an environment in which to progress. They were all paid for from taxation or borrowing (which is future taxation).

Roughly it means disposable income.
Brilliant we're getting somewhere, what if I earn 80k per year but choose to spend it all on a big house, nice holidays and expensive cars yet you earn the same and choose to be frugal, who has the most disposable income?

I have already asked this though.

Mugshot

Über Member
How convenient you should miss the second half of my comment off, must try harder.
Not convenient, deliberate.
I wasn't convinced by your mealy mouthed, breakfast time shrug of the shoulders and would you pass the marmalade Susan, as your pored over your copy of the FT. I think you meant what I quoted.

D

Deleted member 28

Not convenient, deliberate.
I wasn't convinced by your mealy mouthed, breakfast time shrug of the shoulders and would you pass the marmalade Susan, as your pored over your copy of the FT. I think you meant what I quoted.
As I thought, but it's believable when other people say the opposite yet still do nothing but not for me?

You can all say you would pay X amount extra when you clearly can't and then go around high fiving each other across said breakfast table but the outcome is the same.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Brilliant we're getting somewhere, what if I earn 80k per year but choose to spend it all on a big house, nice holidays and expensive cars yet you earn the same and choose to be frugal, who has the most disposable income?

I have already asked this though.
Do you understand what disposable income is? Here is one definition, there are others very similar:
"income remaining after deduction of taxes and social security charges, available to be spent or saved as one wishes"
The money spent on big house, nice holidays and expensive cars by the person in your example is part of their disposable income. So the two people may have roughly the same disposable income but choose to spend it differently.
You are confusing disposable income with discretionary income.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
As I thought, but it's believable when other people say the opposite yet still do nothing but not for me?

You can all say you would pay X amount extra when you clearly can't and then go around high fiving each other across said breakfast table but the outcome is the same.
You say you don't consider yourself to we wealthy but your second paragraph suggests that you seem to take some sort of pleasure in thinking yourself better off than other posters in the thread.

Also, one contributor has suggested complete reform of the tax system while on another thread I have called for the overthrow of our entire patriarchal society, by which I mean reorganisation of our economy, our system of government, our taxes, everything. I'm not sure how this fits with your notion of 'you all... would pay extra' but I can assure you that the forum membership is not as you seem to think, a homogenous entity with you as the single outlier.

PaulB

You have any thought's on a fairer Tax system and the wealthy/rich conundrum?
Well the thought's (sic) I have on that are that for someone who loves to blow his own trumpet about just how fantastically well he's doing, he seems to be fortunate in being able to spend FAR too long posting what effectively amounts to trying to tell us how fantastically well he's doing. Did you have any 'thought's' on the matter?

Top Bottom