Russel Brand seems to have an situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
What has that got to do with evolution?
You can't evolve without making more offspring. It's the genetic variation in the offspring that becomes evolution. The ones that survive the best pass their traits onto the next generation.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
There is no biological imperative for evolution. Evolution is driven by random mutation and genetic drift.

But, only "successful" mutations thrive, and, part of "success" must surely be reproduction (by whatever means applicable to the organism), otherwise, by definition, they would die out.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Any chance we could have a few more 'evolved' men??

It currently feels as if things are going backwards in attitudes and behaviours.

That includes attitudes such a 'not all men' and those who pretend they don't see or hear things happening.

Mr Celine

But if we start with Brand, where do we stop? What happens when it's your turn?

We haven't started with Brand.

We didn't even start with Goodwillie, though he's probably the most recent high profile case.

I suppose you'd be happy with Goodwillie taking football training at your daughter's school, after all he hasn't been convicted of anything.

icowden

Legendary Member
I suppose you'd be happy with Goodwillie taking football training at your daughter's school, after all he hasn't been convicted of anything.
He wouldn't pass a DBS check due to multiple convictions for assault. He also has a civil conviction for rape which I think would count against him. He was never tried in the criminal court for rape as the Crown Office decided they did not have sufficient evidence of wrongdoing.

Any more silly examples?

icowden

Legendary Member
Any chance we could have a few more 'evolved' men??
I like to think I'm evolved :-)
That includes attitudes such as 'not all men'
I'm not sure that "not all men" is an invalid argument. Many of us are not rapey and gropey. It doesn't mean that if a man who is a sexual predator is accused of something he is automatically guilty. I just think he should have a fair trial, rather than us regressing back to pitchforks or the Sun's anti-paedo gangs who beat up a paediatrician.

Mr Celine

He wouldn't pass a DBS check due to multiple convictions for assault. He also has a civil conviction for rape which I think would count against him. He was never tried in the criminal court for rape as the Crown Office decided they did not have sufficient evidence of wrongdoing.

Any more silly examples?

So you do think Goodwillie is a rapist, despite the lack of a conviction.

icowden

Legendary Member
Well 'splained. So, in the heat of passion you're ejaculating "must evolve!"
Very graphic but obviously not. However evolution is happening - hence we see differently evolved humans on different parts of the planet.

The Crofted Crest

You can't evolve without making more offspring. It's the genetic variation in the offspring that becomes evolution. The ones that survive the best pass their traits onto the next generation.

There might be a biological imperative to breed/engage in sex (which does not include reproduction) but it is doubtful whether the imperative is to hope your reverse transcriptases make an error when translating your and your partner's RNA into DNA. Your mileage may vary of course.

Mr Celine

I think he is a rapist based on the fact that he has a civil conviction for rape upheld by the appeals court.

Civil cases in Scotland are decided on a balance of probabilities.

Given the number of similar allegations made against Brand do you think it more likely than not that he is a rapist?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I find it much more credible that the women are telling the truth rather than making it up. What would they have to gain by fabricating these accusations*? And would Dispatches and the Times have reported on them in such a way? I'm not sure they'd go for publish and be damned in the way that a tabloid might.

*Leaving aside Brand's claim that 'they' are 'coming for him' which is deluded conspiracy nonsense and to my mind does nothing to help his case, quite the opposite in fact.

Top Bottom