Russel Brand seems to have an situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

What should happen, a complaint is received, school would suspend the teacher with pay. Not publicise the situation. If the investigation from police resulted in a charge. Then soon as the persons name is placed on the court date register. Then the press can run a basic story awaiting the trail outcome

That's not really going to work. As soon as the teacher is suspended, the story will be all round the school and social media.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Very graphic but obviously not. However evolution is happening - hence we see differently evolved humans on different parts of the planet.

Do we?

icowden

Legendary Member
Yes. You will note that some humans have different skin colour where evolution has turned on different genes. You will also notice that some humans have epicanthic folds on their eyes, usually far more densely in populations exposed to greater concentrations of ultraviolet light in high altitude countries or desert countries.

icowden

Legendary Member
I find it much more credible that the women are telling the truth rather than making it up. What would they have to gain by fabricating these accusations*? And would Dispatches and the Times have reported on them in such a way? I'm not sure they'd go for publish and be damned in the way that a tabloid might.
As do I. However just like every other individual, Brand deserves to be treated fairly. Until the accusations are proven either via criminal charges or civil charges we should refrain from judging via media and wielding pitchforks.

CXRAndy

Guru
That's not really going to work. As soon as the teacher is suspended, the story will be all round the school and social media.

But it's not publicised world wide on every media outlet.

He has been dropped by every commercial connection without any (at this moment) shred of evidence.

There has been quite a few celebrities that have been through these accusations, gone through court process and won. But before they even got into court have had their careers destroyed by media guilty before conviction approach

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
But it's not publicised world wide on every media outlet.

He has been dropped by every commercial connection without any (at this moment) shred of evidence.

There has been quite a few celebrities that have been through these accusations, gone through court process and won. But before they even got into court have had their careers destroyed by media guilty before conviction approach

There is evidence and it has been presented to the public.

CXRAndy

Guru
There is evidence and it has been presented to the public.

It's hearsay currently. He said, she said etc

mudsticks

Squire
I like to think I'm evolved :-)

I'm not sure that "not all men" is an invalid argument. Many of us are not rapey and gropey. It doesn't mean that if a man who is a sexual predator is accused of something he is automatically guilty. I just think he should have a fair trial, rather than us regressing back to pitchforks or the Sun's anti-paedo gangs who beat up a paediatrician.

The point is no one ever said "all men"

But "not all men" is routinely trotted out whenever women complain about the behaviour of a not inconsiderable number of men.

Behaviours that limit, diminish, and even threaten women's lives.

But the focus instead of being "Yes it's awful we really need to tackle those behaviours"

The airy reply is "Not all men".

How is anyone supposed to discern between the dangerous and non dangerous ones..
They don't come in breed types like dogs.

Is never really explained.

And we're not even allowed to believe the testimony of so many women saying the same thing..

They're all unreliable witnesses.??

Why should we have to expend energy cautiously navigating the world so as not to be at risk.? Taking precautions, staying small and all the rest of it??

Just not being rapey or gropey yourself, is the absolute bare minimum.
How low that bar really is..

To be 'evolved' you've got to be actively engaged in tackling the problem - challenging attitudes - not just avoiding it for yourself, and you probably hope for your loved ones.

Pale Rider

Veteran
There are two courts, the court of public opinion and the criminal court.

Only one is currently sitting, but those contributing are entitled to air their view.

There is no reason to suspend comments due to a criminal case that may, or may not come to pass.

Brand, particularly recently, makes his living from public opinion.

It's a career built on nothing, but he can't complain if the likes and positive comments he was previously able to profit from turn against him.

OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
As do I. However just like every other individual, Brand deserves to be treated fairly. Until the accusations are proven either via criminal charges or civil charges we should refrain from judging via media and wielding pitchforks.
The point is, this is nothing new, it's just that media lost control over the media. So we used to have either a newspaper or television, we now have the internet, which lead to the fact that any accusation will lead to said pitchforks, there isn't much we can do about it anymore.

However i'm pretty sure that the normal John Doe would have much more issues earlier in if he was ''dating'' an 16 year old even if it is legal in some states of the US.
The point is no one ever said "all men"

But "not all men" is routinely trotted out whenever women complain about the behaviour of a not inconsiderable number of men.

Behaviours that limit, diminish, and even threaten women's lives.
One of the girls/victims reporting this to his then employer (could be BBC/channel4 and a whole load of others) was told ''that is just Brand'' i think above all that mentality is wrong.(the documentary doesn't state the gender of the person saying that.)
Just as his manager allegedly said ''it doesn't look good that he would date an 16 year old'' instead off something like ''stay a way from farking little girls or find a other manager'' having standards in that job is apparently overrated.
He allergy even used a BBC paid car to pick a 16 year old up from her school. (multiple times documentary doesn't tell if it's the 16yo or that he ''dated'' multiple )
But the focus instead of being "Yes it's awful we really need to tackle those behaviours"

The airy reply is "Not all men".

How is anyone supposed to discern between the dangerous and non dangerous ones..
They don't come in breed types like dogs.

Is never really explained.
Well i said before and i will say it again, in a proper working environment things like that would not have been able or enabled to happen.
It is possible to do that, it takes principles and telling your star comedians, reporters etc. they might think they are a very special snowflake but they are just like anyone else in terms of setting rules to protect all employees.

And we're not even allowed to believe the testimony of so many women saying the same thing..

They're all unreliable witnesses.??
That is not true, the point being made is that procecution should be a job of the police, cps etc. and not of social media, youtube and so further and so forth.
That does not say or imply nobody believes the victims involved.
Why should we have to expend energy cautiously navigating the world so as not to be at risk.? Taking precautions, staying small and all the rest of it??

Just not being rapey or gropey yourself, is the absolute bare minimum.
Sadly we all have to do that in more or less ways and women indeed need to do more to protect themselves. It would indeed much more simplier if all rapey or gropey persons would put themselves off from doing that but sadly it's also not that simple.
How low that bar really is..

To be 'evolved' you've got to be actively engaged in tackling the problem - challenging attitudes - not just avoiding it for yourself, and you probably hope for your loved ones.
I think in the last 5/10 years a lot has been done, but you don't fix these kind of things overnight, also worth mentioning that a lot of these complaints are from 15/20 years back.
Not to say that they won't happen now but it does have to be kept into consideration, procedures methods of working could have changes in between. not to say that it once again doesn't look good to say the least.

OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
"The media lost control over the media"?

I gave up after that.
Might sounds silly but it isn't it used to be the case that if it wasn't either in the newspapers or on the big channels before internet it was very hard to reach a public. These days there are tons of media companies with lots of different ways to reach people whether is is niche social media, big social media, tradition television youtube or anything else.

Top Bottom