Russel Brand seems to have an situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Brand is innocent.
We saw this on the news yesterday, and my better half who is a lawyer was bothered by cancellations starting before this has gone to court. The legal assumption of innocence is worth protecting.

Instead of 'believing women' it would be wiser to take such allegations seriously. The allegation itself is not evidence of its truthfulness. They may be true, they may be post sex withdrawal of consent they may be false.

It seems to me you are with your statement above (except in a legal sense) making the same mistake as those who take to social media and assume guilt, in that your statement doesn't take the allegations seriously but effectively dismisses them.

This needs to be settled in a court of law based on evidence and not emotion.

Milzy

We saw this on the news yesterday, and my better half who is a lawyer was bothered by cancellations starting before this has gone to court. The legal assumption of innocence is worth protecting.

Instead of 'believing women' it would be wiser to take such allegations seriously. The allegation itself is not evidence of its truthfulness. They may be true, they may be post sex withdrawal of consent they may be false.

It seems to me you are with your statement above (except in a legal sense) making the same mistake as those who take to social media and assume guilt, in that your statement doesn't take the allegations seriously but effectively dismisses them.

This needs to be settled in a court of law based on evidence and not emotion.

It’s wrong on so many levels. He’s losing money because in this age of cancel culture you’re guilty until proven innocent. When football players are found innocent their club still wants rid because it’s bad PR still.

icowden

Legendary Member
This thread is wild. Dismissing this story as "hearsay" is demeaning to everyone involved, and I include Brand in that. You don't just accuse someone of sexually assaulting you without a reason.
But it is still hearsay unless it can be corroborated. You can't just redefine language because you don't like it.

icowden

Legendary Member
Interesting update from Rumble following the Government's attempts to interfere in the freedom to publish based on rumours and hearsay:-

'Defending a free internet'​

"While Rumble obviously deplores sexual assault, rape, and all serious crimes, and believes that both alleged victims and the accused are entitled to a full and serious investigation, it is vital to note that recent allegations against Russell Brand have nothing to do with content on Rumble's platform," it said.
Noting YouTube's move, it said Rumble "stands for very different values".
"We have devoted ourselves to the vital cause of defending a free internet - meaning an internet where no one arbitrarily dictates which ideas can or cannot be heard, or which citizens may or may not be entitled to a platform.
"We regard it as deeply inappropriate and dangerous that the UK Parliament would attempt to control who is allowed to speak on our platform or to earn a living from doing so.
"Singling out an individual and demanding his ban is even more disturbing given the absence of any connection between the allegations and his content on Rumble. We don't agree with the behavior of many Rumble creators, but we refuse to penalize them for actions that have nothing to do with our platform.
"Although it may be politically and socially easier for Rumble to join a cancel culture mob, doing so would be a violation of our company's values and mission. We emphatically reject the UK Parliament's demands."

glasgowcyclist

Ăœber Member
It looks like the newspapers have been coercing these people into pay and tell stories.

None of the complainers was paid for their involvement.

Three of the alleged victims have spent hours being interviewed by our journalists, both in person and during extensive phone conversations.
They have also provided substantial information to corroborate their allegations.
None of the women whose stories we are telling know each other.
No one involved was paid to contribute to our reporting.

Source : https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...unday-times-video-watch-latest-news-x33ss0kmk

Just look at the statistics of the situation, he claims to have had many many women. If he was habitually abusing/raping women, wouldn't there be dozens upon dozens of complainants?

As has already been pointed out, the legal system does not treat rape complainers well.

If you want to argue rape statistics, look at the government’s own ‘scorecard’ data.

In England and Wales, more than 99% of rapes reported to police do not end in a conviction. This is the result of a criminal justice system that makes prosecuting rape extremely rare, lengthy and difficult.
At present, charge rates for rape vary wildly between regions, from 1.3% in Surrey to 8.2% in Durham. Cases take, on average, 817 days to reach court, and 63% of cases are closed because the victim has given up on the process and withdrawn from it.

Source : https://www.city.ac.uk/news-and-eve...why-englands-justice-system-continues-to-fail

Consider also the recent Scottish case of the serial rapist Logan Doig.
Three women he raped said they felt ’battered and bruised’ by their treatment when they were called to give evidence at his trial.

They added that their experience of the justice system was so damaging they would think twice about reporting an attack again. That’s how bad it is for sex crime victims. As bad as the original crime was, they would view entering the justice process with such fear and anxiety that they may not report a future assault.

Hundreds of police officers are currently under investigation over sexual assault allegations. Throw in the high profile cases of a Met police officer being a serial rapist, another who kidnapped, raped and murdered Sarah Everard, and the numerous officers engaging in vile WhatsApp exchanges and it is amazing that anyone would ever report a rape.

There have been numerous high profile cases where the accused was found not guilty. The accusers where not telling the truth.

You are confusing the truth with sufficiency of evidence. An acquittal does not mean the complainer lied.

mudsticks

Squire
In case anyone needs more convincing about how much the system deters victims from coming forwards

https://www.theguardian.com/society...y-police-response-damaged-their-mental-health

icowden

Legendary Member
Its not 'hearsay' when the person who experienced the crime talks about the crime.
It's hearsay when I tell you that the person who experienced the crime told me about it.
Yes, apologies. I misinterpreted. However the accusation in itself isn't a statement of fact necessarily. Hence the need for proper proceedings.
I also agree with you that reporting crimes of this sort is not dealt with well at all.

icowden

Legendary Member
They added that their experience of the justice system was so damaging they would think twice about reporting an attack again. That’s how bad it is for sex crime victims. As bad as the original crime was, they would view entering the justice process with such fear and anxiety that they may not report a future assault.
Yes, it is a genuine problem with the adversarial system that the victim is often treated as if they were the criminal.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, apologies. I misinterpreted. However the accusation in itself isn't a statement of fact necessarily. Hence the need for proper proceedings.
I also agree with you that reporting crimes of this sort is not dealt with well at all.

I agree the need for 'proper' proceedings.

And those proceedings includes properly educating and reinforcing around things like consent.

Opposing the attitudes rife in our 'culture' that lead to women and girls feeling and being unsafe.

And yes changing polices and societies response to victims of such crimes.
So that reporting is the first thing they feel like doing - not the very last.

I don't think it's too outlandish a thing to say that many people prefer that victims are too scared / ashamed / wary to come forward.
And that they'd like things to stay that way.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Culture head of government had the audacity to demand that Russel Brand be de-monitised from Rumble and other platforms.

So the government is ignoring the rule of law and going with the baying mob.

Rumble told her to sling her hook and wait for due process

https://news.sky.com/story/russell-...ing-revenue-disturbing-and-dangerous-12966160

What's more disturbing is Google's removing ad revenue from his channel without any shred of police charges. They did it on a whim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom