Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member

multitool

Alternatively, the French try to follow the same flawed system as the UK instead of addressing the actual issue.

They think they are addressing the issue. Obviously you, random Internet guy, knows better than them.

If it was true that uniforms improved behaviour you should be able to provide actual data.

In order for there to be actual data there would have to be actual research.

Can you imagine trying to design that research?

As counterexamples to the positive impact of uniforms in educational settings I posit Eton and the Bullingdon club.

Do you think, for one second, that lessons in Eton are disrupted by poor behaviour?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
So the rich should have more of an advantage over the poor who should lose out?
Odd set of priorities you have.

Poor?

Like “rich” or “wealthy”, this clearly means different things to different people. Personally, I wouldn’t have thought “poor” people would be showing concern about inheritance tax?

BoldonLad

BULL SHIÏTE

There's enough empirical evidence from our European neighbours to prove that not wearing a uniform doesn't cause bad behaviour or lack of self respect.

Strict uniform rules just cause a set of conflicts that wouldn't exist otherwise.

If only it were so simple.

The uniform debate is a distraction from the real problems within our education system..and it’s clearly working.

Why don't we stop pretending that it reduces the symptoms, let alone the underlying causes, of the real problems and get rid of the source of the distraction? It's papering over the cracked mirror, to introduce another mixaphor.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
For those of us with kids we know consistency is vital.

Multz going full Andrea Leadsom, I see!

19265706-7534853-image-m-7_1570126082431.jpg

They think they are addressing the issue. Obviously you, random Internet guy, knows better than them.

In order for there to be actual data there would have to be actual research.

Can you imagine trying to design that research?

Do you think, for one second, that lessons in Eton are disrupted by poor behaviour?
The research is there. However even the researchers of the piece linked admit that it's "limited, dated, and largely focus on academic outcomes"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8775910/

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Why don't we stop pretending that it reduces the symptoms, let alone the underlying causes, of the real problems and get rid of the source of the distraction? It's papering over the cracked mirror, to introduce another mixaphor.

Please, enlighten us, and tell us what the real problems are.

Last edited:

multitool

You can stop pretending whenever you want, newf.

Me? I'm more interested in whether these systems work, and I won't find that out by listening to you and CR because you are coming at this with zero knowledge. No offence, but you can't 'think' your way into knowledge about the external world, and your school experience half a century ago is irrelevant.

I'm off out for a pint with some mates, one of whom is highly experienced within secondary education. I'll get her view and let you know

lazybloke

Regular
A further remark about dress code. We observe it elsewhere without question. For example, you probably wouldn't turn up to a funeral in beach shorts and a bare belly. Why? Because it might be viewed as being disrespectful to the recently deceased.
There's a tradition of wearing black/dark at a funeral, and to be smart/ clean.
No-one would mind school uniform if it was that relaxed, but it's always far more prescriptive.

And far more expensive, particularly if there is an insistence on using a particular supplier at elevated costs (in contravention of Dept of Education guidance). And if there's any truth in the rumour of school getting a cut of uniform costs... well, that's indefensible.

Not that I mind schools having a uniform policy. It just needs to be reasonable and have some flexibility.

For example, our local school insists on skirts being knee length, yet the regulation PE skorts is ridiculously brief; they subsequently permitted leggings for PE, which many girls were happier with.

Maybe schools should focus more on educating children according to their individual requirements instead of hammering all the differently shaped pegs into the same shaped holes.

[edited]

Top Bottom