Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is not the figure you quoted in your original "wealthy" assertion, it is also qualified with the words "take home pay", "well north of" and "month". That post seems to have disappeared, glitch in the forum software perhaps?

FFS Bolders, why do I keep having to explain such simple things to you? My (I believe) reasonable starting point was £100,000 salary. My educated guess was that would yield around £5,000 a month take home. Edit… I was 10% too low.

Oh look, reed.co.uk agrees with me.

IMG_3808.jpeg

Last edited:
You're right. The fact that both of my kids went to state primary, I taught music in a state primary for about 5 years, my mum was a teacher in state schools, my BiL was a teacher in state secondary and my wife is a deputy head teacher in a state primary are probably of no consequence at all.

True. Private schools tend to be dealing more with children who have mental health issues, emotional and behavioural difficulties which benefit from small class sizes etc. They do of course have the luxury of excluding children if they need to.

Are you seriously going to tell me that teachers in state primary and secondary schools have some sort of ninja therapy training to deal with these children?

<spoiler> They don't </spoiler>

Usually issues around child protection will be dealt with by the senior leadership team ,as will EHCPs, additional support etc. Just like in Private Schools. What they usually spend a lot of time doing is trying to deal with and accommodate children who have been given an inappropriate educational placement and have been insufficiently dealt with by the massively underfunded education system which lacks Educational Psychologists. Additionally a lot of schools spent a lot of time dealing with incompetent social workers due to the underfunded social services.

You've seemed to have forgotten the first rule of NACA which is that any personal or professional areas of expertise are null and void.
Carry on....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
FFS Bolders, why do I keep having to explain such simple things to you? My (I believe) reasonable starting point was £100,000 salary. My educated guess was that would yield around £5,000 a month take home. Edit… I was 10% too low.

Oh look, reed.co.uk agrees with me.

View attachment 4614

That was not the point, the point was, they are not the figures quoted in your original post (which, it would seem, has disappeared).

The original post, if I recall correctly, used figures of £500 and £2,000, with no reference to payment frequency, or deductions.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
No they aren't. Only one school is run by a weirdo self-publicising twit called Miss Snuffy.

Her school was founded by a bunch of utter cùnts, and she has used it as a platform to try and gain celebrity, by using it as a culture war weapon. It didn't work out well for her because she isn't sharp enough (resigned from Chair of Social Mobility Commision).

But that doesn't mean it is a bad school, and it doesn't mean she is wrong about everything. Some of what she says is true; that there is a "soft bigotry of low-expectations" in state education.

Again, I want my children's school to push the local public school into being the place that supplies the plumbers, delivery van drivers etc etc. That isn't going to happen by allowing kids to pîss about.

In broader terms, the privileged minority class is never going to willingly hand over their privilege to the rest of us. It has to be taken from them, aggressively.

Bit of a sense of humour failure, Multz? Anyway, at least we agree that she's a weirdo.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to schools choosing to have a uniform policy if they wish, or to parents being able to choose to enrol their children in schools or other institutions whose uniform policy, rules or culture they find appealing (even if I find them repugnant). I do think that it shouldn't be acceptable for state schools to have gendered uniform rules (producing gendered subjects is still one of its main functions, IMO, and it's interesting how some criticisms of the way children dress upthread are focused on the traditional sexualised complaints about girls wearing short skirts or tight trousers) to punish children disproportionately for minor transgressions, or to fail to accommodate reasonable attempts to comply with rules according to the means of parents.

A politics based on social mobility is going to have very different educational ideals than a politics based on social transformation or class liberation. That's not a problem, but as schooling is compulsory and most children attend schools based on mundane criteria such as proximity rather than some sort of ideological matching, schools need to be sufficiently flexible to accommodate children (and their parents) whose modes of being are not gratuitously disruptive but represent a minor challenge to their ethos, or what they claim is their ethos. Schools who claim to value smartness or pride in appearance quite frequently punish children who demonstrably have those values but deviate from the school's preferred aesthetic, which suggests to me that the smartness thing is mainly a proxy for conformity.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
:laugh:

It's clear you know very little, Ike.

Many people are open (or naive) enough to explain their work or other experience in their posts so that others can judge if they are more than just Google experts. It is clear you are not so naive. Good tactic.

Reactions: C R
That was not the point, the point was, they are not the figures quoted in your original post (which, it would seem, has disappeared).
That’s the second time you have implied that I have edited or deleted my post. Don’t do it again, please.

Anyway, is this the one you failed to find?
https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/schooliform.544/page-16#post-75698
The original post, if I recall correctly, used figures of £500 and £2,000, with no reference to payment frequency, or deductions.
Well, I did say per week, but it was only intended to illustrate the obvious point, which you still dismissed, that more income makes for easier life choices.

It’s not the figure you subsequently disputed, which was from this. Look, you even bolded it, Bolders.
IMG_3809.jpeg

(Edit for typo.)

Last edited:

multitool

Pharaoh
Takes one to know one?

Not so much a playground insult as an evaluation of your personality based on what you present here. I'm sure you have many skills, but I doubt one of them is emotional intelligence, because I suspect you struggle a little with human relationships. In that respect, when I talk about "soft skills" I think it is very likely that you won't really be able to conceive of them, because not only are they not in your skill-set, they are never likely to be by way of your personality traits. None of which is either an insult, nor intended to be, but just a reflection on how I perceive you, and in turn how I perceive your perception of the world.

multitool

Pharaoh
Bit of a sense of humour failure, Multz? Anyway, at least we agree that she's a weirdo.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to schools choosing to have a uniform policy if they wish, or to parents being able to choose to enrol their children in schools or other institutions whose uniform policy, rules or culture they find appealing (even if I find them repugnant). I do think that it shouldn't be acceptable for state schools to have gendered uniform rules (producing gendered subjects is still one of its main functions, IMO, and it's interesting how some criticisms of the way children dress upthread are focused on the traditional sexualised complaints about girls wearing short skirts or tight trousers) to punish children disproportionately for minor transgressions, or to fail to accommodate reasonable attempts to comply with rules according to the means of parents.

A politics based on social mobility is going to have very different educational ideals than a politics based on social transformation or class liberation. That's not a problem, but as schooling is compulsory and most children attend schools based on mundane criteria such as proximity rather than some sort of ideological matching, schools need to be sufficiently flexible to accommodate children (and their parents) whose modes of being are not gratuitously disruptive but represent a minor challenge to their ethos, or what they claim is their ethos. Schools who claim to value smartness or pride in appearance quite frequently punish children who demonstrably have those values but deviate from the school's preferred aesthetic, which suggests to me that the smartness thing is mainly a proxy for conformity.

And what is wrong with conformity?

Or are you suggesting that deviance is necessarily acceptable?

I have suggested several times that insistence on what you perceive to be very minor rules is likely to be a way of deterring deviance on the bigger more consequential issues. Added to which, it may well be a way of avoiding endless arguments over minor issues. As I have said, if we have a tradition of uniform them we either apply the rules to the letter and spend our time on more productive things or we open ourselves up to constant conflict, which is of no practical use to anybody and sours relationships.

multitool

Pharaoh
Forgot to say, in response to claud, that in my view expensive items of uniform is a ridiculous notion for any school. Blazers, ties and jumpers are the only items that need to be bought anywhere other than ASDA, but they are also the items least likely to need frequent replacement.

Top Bottom