Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
In that respect, when I talk about "soft skills" I think it is very likely that you won't really be able to conceive of them, because not only are they not in your skill-set, they are never likely to be by way of your personality traits. None of which is either an insult, nor intended to be, but just a reflection on how I perceive you, and in turn how I perceive your perception of the world.
No insult taken and that's a perfectly valid assessment. However, as I pointed out, my brother in law worked in a difficult inner London secondary school before he decided to move to a private school and whilst he does find his new school much easier to teach (fewer very difficult pupils and the ability to escalate problem behaviours in an environment where they can be properly dealt with due to resources being available), the skill set he uses is the same.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Forgot to say, in response to claud, that in my view expensive items of uniform is a ridiculous notion for any school. Blazers, ties and jumpers are the only items that need to be bought anywhere other than ASDA, but they are also the items least likely to need frequent replacement.

ASDA also sells blazers and jumpers so there is no need to go anywhere else for those...or M&S if you are in a really posh school.

Why on earth in the 21st century are we trying to get kids into that completely useless item of clothing, the tie?

My son's old high school recently implemented a school uniform with light grey blazers with yellow piping around the lapels...a high school, not Eton. Surprise, surprise they were not a stock item in ASDA and could only be bought locally at a couple of shops with links to the school. The policy is very unpopular, widely flaunted but has been facilitated by local charity shops and Facebook/Whatsapp being used to hand down uniforms. The tie is a clip-on version :giggle:, which is even more pathetic (but less likely to be worn just two inches long, and less likely to be used for strangulation) than a real one.

multitool

Pharaoh
No insult taken and that's a perfectly valid assessment. However, as I pointed out, my brother in law worked in a difficult inner London secondary school before he decided to move to a private school and whilst he does find his new school much easier to teach (fewer very difficult pupils and the ability to escalate problem behaviours in an environment where they can be properly dealt with due to resources being available), the skill set he uses is the same.

I also have a brother. He did it in reverse. When he got to a state secondary after 6 years of independent schools he lasted two terms.

There is no way on earth that an independent school will include the most troubled families, and their offspring amongst their intake to suggest otherwise would be ridiculous.

Why on earth in the 21st century are we trying to get kids into that completely useless item of clothing, the tie?

The same reason a bank manager would probably wear a suit and tie, and not jeans and t-shirt. Schools want to look smart, organised and attractive to new business (i.e. pupils). Like it or not, we are in Britain still very traditional when it comes to certain things. Only a few decades ago, no-one would enter a church without their sunday best on. Keeping up appearances and all that. But also a sign of respect i.e. "I have bothered to make an effort because this is important". The tie is the icing on the cake; I still would not go to a wedding or a funeral with a suit and no tie.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Like it or not, we are in Britain still very traditional when it comes to certain things.
Agreed, but if one of those certain things is wearing a tie then I definitely don't like it.

I still would not go to a wedding or a funeral with a suit and no tie.

What about no suit and no tie?

Reactions: C R
Agreed, but if one of those certain things is wearing a tie then I definitely don't like it.

What about no suit and no tie?

nope, I'd always wear a suit and tie. To me it says "I've made the effort". I even bought a new suit for my Gran's funeral because my others either didn't fit or looked too old.

Pale Rider

Veteran
An acquaintance of mine used to run an old-fashioned school uniform shop.

He told me he'd had several 'fathers' over the years ask for both boys' and girls' uniforms, but always without the child.

When he asked about size, the father would say 'the lad/lass is about my size'.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
nope, I'd always wear a suit and tie. To me it says "I've made the effort". I even bought a new suit for my Gran's funeral because my others either didn't fit or looked too old.

I would probably wear clothing that I would imagine the deceased would want/approve of. For my parents, grandparents and elderly relatives a suit and black tie (in future this could be a problem as I am the oldest person in my extended family, and I got rid of my last suit a few months ago, but I still have one tie...black). This year for a close friend and a cousin, both of whom would never be seen in anything as formal as a suit I wore jacket and polo shirt (I did make an effort, the jacket was new), but not in fluorescent colours, although I have been to funerals where the deceased and/or their spouse specified bright colours.

That's the thing with traditions...they develop over time.

multitool

Pharaoh
Whilst it remains the case that many employers, or people in a position of naming decisions about others, form an opinion based in part on appearance it makes sense to grab any advantage available...or rather not disadvantage yourself when not doing so comes at little cost.

You can rail about things you thing shouldn't be the case, but if they are the case you should respond intelligently.

Top Bottom