Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
There is no way on earth that an independent school will include the most troubled families, and their offspring amongst their intake to suggest otherwise would be ridiculous.
Which is why I didn't suggest it. However it isn't the teacher's job to manage family troubles - that's down to senior leadership. There can be disruptive children in private schools, the difference is that they often don't remain in the school if their behaviour doesn't change. On the plus side, access to counselling, smaller class sizes and the ability to take the problem child out of class as you have the resource to do so, makes it much easier to manage those difficult behaviours.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
If I was a kid I'd be thinking you can't even be arsed to bequeath us a habitable planet but get pissy about trousers: haddaway and shyte the lot of you. And stop calling us 'kids' you patronising, pee-stinky, greedy old goat-gammons.

But I'm not a kid, so I think kids should have more respect and think about farming cassava in regulation length skirts and learning to ride sandworms.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
If I was a kid I'd be thinking you can't even be arsed to bequeath us a habitable planet but get pissy about trousers: haddaway and shyte the lot of you. And stop calling us 'kids' you patronising, pee-stinky, greedy old goat-gammons.

But I'm not a kid, so I think kids should have more respect and think about farming cassava in regulation length skirts and learning to ride sandworms.

Haven't heard that expression in a long time, it was one of my late father's favourites ;)

multitool

Pharaoh
Which is why I didn't suggest it. However it isn't the teacher's job to manage family troubles - that's down to senior leadership.

And you think that "family troubles" won't get reflected in children's behaviour in a classroom??????

Jesus.

The Crofted Crest

Haven't heard that expression in a long time, it was one of my late father's favourites ;)

I actually said it to a colleague this morning. She, being Dutch didnae understand.

Mr Celine

I actually said it to a colleague this morning. She, being Dutch didnae understand.

I've a friend who has lived and worked in the Netherlands for years. She complained that she had an annoying colleague who professed that his English was so good that he would understand anything said to him in any accent.
I reminded my friend that she hailed from Dundee.

'Twa pehs pleeze an an ingin ane an aw' showed him his arse wis oot the windae.

multitool

Pharaoh
Not necessarily, and you miss the point that children at private schools also have family troubles, they just manifest in different ways.

Yes, he had a lot of family troubles.

What you said was senior leadership deal with "family troubles" as if this magically solves the issues and angry/disruptive/withdrawn behaviour ceases to manifest itself.
No teacher can solve the social issues of families. The best they can do is have some soft skills to provide a structured environment for the kid with boundaries.

As for private school kids, their families are self-selecting. It's pretty obvious that they are affluent enough to pay their way in. That doesn't mean they will be ideal families but I doubt many private schools have crackhead parents who are perpetually in and out of prison.

One of the rationales for you sending your kids to independent school is precisely to avoid families like this and the disruption they bring.

Reactions: C R
Why won’t he just accept his oppression?

IMG_3821.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/23/black-high-school-texas-hair-federal-lawsuit

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
What you said was senior leadership deal with "family troubles" as if this magically solves the issues and angry/disruptive/withdrawn behaviour ceases to manifest itself.
Nope. They deal with "faimly troubles" whether it's referring children to the child protection team or trying to get Educational Psychologists to visit to get children into suitable placements. A class teacher teaches. End of. They don't have time to have a chat to the kids. If they are lucky enough to have TA who isn't off sick, they might get to do some small group work.

As for private school kids, their families are self-selecting. It's pretty obvious that they are affluent enough to pay their way in. That doesn't mean they will be ideal families but I doubt many private schools have crackhead parents who are perpetually in and out of prison.
Because only kids with crackhead prison based parents have problems. Gotcha.

One of the rationales for you sending your kids to independent school is precisely to avoid families like this and the disruption they bring.
Nope. That is none of my rationales. My rationales are about small classes, excellent pastoral care and good facilities.

multitool

Pharaoh
Nope. They deal with "faimly troubles" whether it's referring children to the child protection team or trying to get Educational Psychologists to visit to get children into suitable placements. A class teacher teaches. End of. They don't have time to have a chat to the kids. .

Utter bollocks. EVERY teacher is involved in pastoral care because they have a statutory duty so to do. I've taken the time to read the legislation and the stutory guidance that all staff working in schools have to read on a yearly basis. I'm also aware of the reporting responsibilities of all staff. This stuff is easily accessible. You should inform yourself.

As for "a class teacher teaches", how do you envisage "teaching"? As some sort of didactic process where rows of compliant children absorb knowledge through osmosis.
Because only kids with crackhead prison based parents have problems. Gotcha.
Hi Aurora.
Nope. That is none of my rationales. My rationales are about small classes, excellent pastoral care and good facilities.

Would you be concerned about bullying and disruptive behaviour in class if you had to send your children to a state school?

Top Bottom