Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
A moment ago you were trying to say there were no high schools in UK.
There aren't. It's an American term. There are schools that call themselves high schools but they are secondary schools and the word "high" has no relevance.

So a school with 100 subject teachers will have 50 TAs....
You don't have subject teachers in Primary Schools. Lets
dream on.
Instead of dreaming, lets try research. My local state school has 99 subject teachers listed on their staff list. They have 28 Staff with the title of "Inclusion", 20 "other support staff" and 10 listed for leadership roles. That's a ratio of er... 99 teachers to 48 support staff of one sort or another... Plus the 10 leadership staff.

I don't think you understand how school finance works.
I'm not convinced you understand how schools work, but there we go. It was you who suggested that TAs are only paid for out of money sourced from EHCPs.

multitool

Pharaoh
There aren't. It's an American term. There are schools that call themselves high schools but they are secondary schools and the word "high" has no relevance.

Secondary modern has no relevance. They don't exist. High schools do exist, whether the terminology is US or not. 'Academy' is a reference to who controls it, as is 'freeschool'.

You don't have subject teachers in Primary Schools.

I know. At no point have i mentioned primary schools because primary schools are not part of the discussion on draconian uniform rules. You keep wanging on about them for some reason.
Instead of dreaming, lets try research. My local state school has 99 subject teachers listed on their staff list. They have 28 Staff with the title of "Inclusion", 20 "other support staff" and 10 listed for leadership roles. That's a ratio of er... 99 teachers to 48 support staff of one sort or another... Plus the 10 leadership staff.

"Inclusion" could be anything. Could be oddbods employed to administer isolation rooms and behaviour system or attendance, and could include teaching staff. They are probably not classroom assistants. The leadership roles will be teaching staff taking on pastoral and academic management roles.

I'm not convinced you understand how schools work, but there we go

That is only because you are speaking from a position of ignorance, but also an unfounded self-confidence. It doesnt matter whether your mum was a teacher 20 years ago. My dad was a doctor, but i know FA about the health service because if it.
. It was you who suggested that TAs are only paid for out of money sourced from EHCPs.

No, I didn't suggest that at all.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Glasgow High School, The Royal High School and the high schools of Stirling, Brechin, Dundee and Dunfermline were all in existence long before Columbus even 'discovered' America.
Fair enough. I didn't say you couldn't have a school named High School. Just that it isn't a defined term except in the USA (and possibly scotland)

NORTH AMERICAN
    a secondary school.

(in the UK except Scotland) used chiefly in names of grammar schools or independent fee-paying secondary schools, or for the lower years of a secondary school.
    "Wycombe High School"

multitool

Pharaoh
Fair enough. I didn't say you couldn't have a school named High School. Just that it isn't a defined term except in the USA (and possibly scotland)

There is no "defined term" for secondary modern (which no longer exist) or Senior Schools. Both of which you said were types of school.

In the state sector there are faith schools, free schools, academies and city tech colleges and that is it. (There may still be some state boarding schools too)

'High school' is a type of faith/free/academy. As is a grammar school.

Mr Celine

Secondary modern has no relevance. They don't exist. High schools do exist, whether the terminology is US or not. 'Academy' is a reference to who controls it, as is 'freeschool
And you're as ill informed as @icowden
My alma mater was an Academy founded in 1696. It even had a school song but in common with numerous other Scottish academies it was and still is a cooncil comprehensive.

multitool

Pharaoh
And you're as ill informed as @icowden

Prepare to eat my shìt

My alma mater was an Academy founded in 1696. It even had a school song but in common with numerous other Scottish academies it was and still is a cooncil comprehensive.

'Academy' is now a legal definition describing funding and control of a type of state school. It was started by Labour in the 2000s as a way of removing schools from LEAs (as they were then known) that were deemed to be failing. They are funded by govt. but NOT controlled by LA, but an academy trust which might actually be themselves, or a chain.

Most secondary schools are now academies.

Whatever your school was called is irrelevant.

Mr Celine

'Academy' is now a legal definition describing funding and control of a type of state school. It was started by Labour in the 2000s as a way of removing schools from LEAs (as they were then known) that were deemed to be failing. They are funded by govt. but NOT controlled by LA, but an academy trust which might actually be themselves, or a chain.

You were arguing with @icowden about the types of school in the UK. Your definition of academy above does not apply to the UK. As far as I can be bothered looking it only applies to one of the UK nations. [Academies Act 2010, s1(5)(a)]

multitool

Pharaoh
You were arguing with @icowden about the types of school in the UK. Your definition of academy above does not apply to the UK. As far as I can be bothered looking it only applies to one of the UK nations. [Academies Act 2010, s1(5)(a)]

I never mentioned the UK.

Ike might have, but that is up to him. I'm fully aware of the differences that exist within the 4 provinces of the UK, but Ike and I both live in England, where the vast majority of UK schools exist.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
There is no "defined term" for secondary modern (which no longer exist) or Senior Schools. Both of which you said were types of school.

Secondary modern schools today[edit]​

ial_photographs_of_Wetherby_%287th_May_2021%29_005.jpg Wetherby High School; a former secondary modern; now comprehensive school
In counties still operating a selective system, as of 2015 there were 130 schools fulfilling the role of the secondary modern by taking those pupils who do not get into grammar schools.[16] These schools may be known colloquially (though not officially) as high schools (Medway and Trafford), upper schools (Buckinghamshire), all-ability or non-selective schools.

The term secondary modern has completely disappeared in the naming of schools, although in 2013 the National Association of Secondary Moderns was founded by Ian Widdows, former Headteacher at the Giles Academy in Boston, Lincolnshire.[17] The organisation represents non-selective schools in selective areas[16] and has organised a number of national conferences since it was founded, such as one in April 2016 addressed by Shadow Secretary of State for Education Lucy Powell, Tim Leunig from the Department for Education, and National Schools Commissioner Sir David Carter, among others.[18][19]

In the state sector there are faith schools, free schools, academies and city tech colleges and that is it. (There may still be some state boarding schools too)

'High school' is a type of faith/free/academy. As is a grammar school.
You just said that grammar schools don't exist. Make your mind up.

Top Bottom