Sooner or later, and, now it has happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Migration experts have said that the boats are a direct result of the UK govt going out of its way to shut down other routes to claim asylum etc...
Then you get shIte like this from our so called media ffs.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
The friendly bit was tongue in cheek, I should have put it in quotations.
It’s not in the Frenchies interest to stop them. The fact that it pisses-of les rosbifs is an extra incentive for them to do bugger all.
If only we were part of some pan-european organisation that might work together….
Our government thinks it is not in our interest to let them in.

The French government thinks it is not in their interest to stop them leaving.

Neither government is thinking about the interests of these poor people.

PaulB

'One new escape valve was immigration. ....perhaps 50,000 people made the dangerous voyage. Many signed themselves over to indentured servitude for years just to pay for the crossing. Their lot was no better than slavery.' That wasn't written this year, although it could well have been. This was written about English people in 1608. So desperate were they to leave the almost certain death they faced in their own towns and villages, they boarded barely sea-worthy vessels to make the dangerous journey across treacherous seas to reach a land spoken of as providing hope and a fresh chance for them and their families. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

If the boot was on the other foot, we might be doing this ourselves, as our forebears had to.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

As ghoulish as it sounds, I was making at least a semi-serious suggestion. I posted before about the alleged deterrent effect of a large number of Channel crossing deaths and the difficulties both logistically and ethically of attempting to quantify it. Well now's our chance. If Channel crossing attempts decrease then the deterrent effect may be real. If they remain at the current level or increase then there has been no deterrent effect from this incident. If this is the case then we should provide safe passage to these people, at least some of them, since we know that even the very real possibility of death by drowning will not prevent them from attempting the journey.

BTW, I find the 'sooner or later' nature of the thread title somewhat troubling. It does a disservice to the six people who have already lost their lives attempting the crossing this year, and to all those who came before.

Yes, I did wonder about using those words "Sonner or later". It has occurred to me for some time that the current methods of dealing with the small boats was not sensible and, potentially, counter-productive. On a humanitarian level, it was simply wrong. If the objective was to stop them, it clearly was not working. On a Political level, it was clear that, eventually, there would be a tragedy big enough to make the headlines (that is not to say previous losses did not matter, simply that they did not make significant headlines). So, as I say, it was an approach which simply made no sense. IMHO. That is quite apart from any simple human considerations.

Salty seadog

I agree totally with the sentiments in that last paragraph, but have some doubts about whether the closest of our neighbours, from where most of these poor people set off on their perilous journey, is really acting as a friendly neighbour in this instance. I know it is the traffickers who are directly responsible but I am not convinced that the French authorities are doing their best to stop it, especially since Brexit. When even the BBC can film trafficked migrants setting off from France it is difficult to believe the French authorities could not do better. Neither government comes out of this well wrt to caring for the welfare of migrants.

Agreed. If roles were reversed and we were France I'd imagine we'd be handing out dinghies on the beach.

D

Deleted member 49

That'd pretty much put you in the same league as Alexander Lukashenko, weaponising the migrants.
Our own media is good enough at that.Sad thing is we had a chance of someone who cared....but it chose to paint a different picture of him.

Top Bottom