Sport - what's the attraction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rather than derail a thread, I'll start another.

I find sport boring. Football particularly so.

Instead of having school sports days, the schools should have an afternoon of something, anything, that isn't sport.

Sport shouldn't be included at the end of news bulletins as it's a) boring and b) not news.

That's not to say that there aren't interesting aspects of sport. I just can't get worked up about sport itself.

That's my view - what do others think? Come on people, convince me otherwise.

mudsticks

Squire
Rather than derail a thread, I'll start another.

I find sport boring. Football particularly so.

Instead of having school sports days, the schools should have an afternoon of something, anything, that isn't sport.

Sport shouldn't be included at the end of news bulletins as it's a) boring and b) not news.

That's not to say that there aren't interesting aspects of sport. I just can't get worked up about sport itself.

That's my view - what do others think? Come on people, convince me otherwise.

I think physical activity of some sort should be encouraged and enabled at school.
But not necessarily bat and ball type games for kids who don't enjoy that sort of thing.

As for sport being reported alongside or even within the news
Nope I don't see why it gets such prominence.

Lots of just as, if not more interesting things are happening, around the world , or even in this country, so why not report that?

I don't have a problem with people playing or watching sport, but it's not really worthy of being reported as news , any more than say the total number of miles that the cyclists of the nation have travelled by bike this week..

Or the numbers of cabbages harvested by the nation's farmers.

But sport does seem to be a widespread obsession , so I think we are stuck with it all for now..

D

Deleted member 49

Got to disagree ! There's so many reasons why sport is important.Especially so when young and in school.Fitness,health/mental health confidence etc.
Same for the news,it's something to take your mind of the reality of it 😁

Salty seadog

Sport is important and newsworthy at the appropriate level of coverage. You don't get much village cricket reported during the 9 o'clock news on BBC1 but it will be in the local paper.

Why do we always seem to hear about a horse that has got stuck in a marshy boggy hole being rescued in the national media?
How is that news?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Personally, I have zero interest in sport. In the unlikely event I am able to contribute to a “football conversation” when out with my drinking pals, I usually get a small round of applause. However, just because I am not interested, I see no reason to deprive others of their enjoyment.

When at school, like the poster in the original thread (@icowden), I learned to "hide" in plain sight. When I reached my mid teens, in summer, the usual technique, during cricket sessions, was to climb over the school fence and dodge off to the beach, where, there were often student nurses willing to indulge in various "sports". learned much more than on the cricket pitch.

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Are you suggesting sport is war by other means?
Absolutely.

mudsticks

Squire
Personally, I have zero interest in sport. In the unlikely event I am able to contribute to a “football conversation” when out with my drinking pals, I usually get a small round of applause. However, just because I am not interested, I see no reason to deprive others of their enjoyment.

When at school, like the poster in the original thread, I learned to "hide" in plain sight. When I reached my mid teens, in summer, the usual technique, during cricket sessions, was to climb over the school fence and dodge off to the beach, where, there were often student nurses willing to indulge in various "sports". learned much more than on the cricket pitch.

None of my close family, or friends, have much, if any interest in sport.

I don't think this is a chance coincidence.

Chats about politics and or religion - bring it on..
If anyone started about 'the footie' the room would go very quiet..

Are you suggesting sport is war by other means?

I've also heard of it being considered a psychological substitute for 'giving chase' to prey animals..

mudsticks

Squire
Cycling can sometimes be a sport. Any cyclists on here?

Of course, but it's not a 'sport' for me

More a very pleasant way of getting about the place, staying fit, and having fun.

I might occasionally glance at the tdf or whatever if the scenery was likely to be nice..

But otherwise.. nope.

Top Bottom