Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
One set of my friends are in construction, at various levels. Three of them were on the tools but worked their way out of it because nobody wants to still be doing that in their late forties, let alone late 50s. I didn't invoke the notion of shame, newf did.
Indeed. My neighbour across the way is a "retired" builder. He's only in his 50s, has two properties and a nice car - as well as his van. One of the properties is owned by his ex-wife but still...

D

Deleted member 49

One set of my friends are in construction, at various levels. Three of them were on the tools but worked their way out of it because nobody wants to still be doing that in their late forties, let alone late 50s. I didn't invoke the notion of shame, newf did.

I'm having a laugh that the forum blowhard still has to climb up towers in shịt weather at 57. If it was you, it wouldn't be funny, but you don't spend your time posting about how hard you are :laugh:
Bollox you tried to belittle him about his type of work...I hardly agree with anything Shep says,were polar opposites politically.But what job he does is irrelevant to me,i don't look down on anyone.Im mid 50s and allways done manual work,sorry I did do about 6 days in a office in Sydney and got fired age 19 !
The rest of the argument is fair game,you want to abuse each other that's fine.

multitool

Shaman
Bollox you tried to belittle him about his type of work...I hardly agree with anything Shep says,were polar opposites politically.But what job he does is irrelevant to me,i don't look down on anyone.Im mid 50s and allways done manual work,sorry I did do about 6 days in a office in Sydney and got fired age 19 !
The rest of the argument is fair game,you want to abuse each other that's fine.

Shep is an inveterate inverted snob who tries to belittle anyone with more qualifications than he does (ie, some o levels or upwards). He deserves everything he gets.

multitool

Shaman
I see you have edited it since I asked the question but it still smells of an elitist attitude.

For clarity, I'm in favour of elitism when it exists through actual merit. White collar vs. blue collar or academic vs. labourer comparisons say very little about societal worth.

I edited it before your question, or at least before I saw your question, seeing as how my post elicited such foot stomping.

If you decontextualise my post then, I agree, it is elitist. But in the context of Shep's incessant mockery of education it isn't.

Top Bottom