Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Beds, surely?

Bridges. Definitely bridges.

icowden

Legendary Member
Luckily for your kids (and you with your apparent awkwardness?) they have the opportunity which is fine, just don't make out they 'need' it anymore than some other kid off the estate.
I haven't. What I have pointed out is that there are many children who are failed by state secondary school. They need the facilities of a private school. Sadly only the very bright and the very wealthy are able to access private schools, and the Government is not interested in funding state schools to make them better.

multitool

It's just a shame Shep that you appear to be as thick as multitool. I went to a private school. My parents were not wealthy.

Sadly only the very bright and the very wealthy are able to access private schools

So, here we have icow insulting me AND by implication referring to himself as "very bright".

Yes, probably for the best that you never had to mix with the scum in a state school, you silly little prig.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I haven't. What I have pointed out is that there are many children who are failed by state secondary school. They need the facilities of a private school. Sadly only the very bright and the very wealthy are able to access private schools, and the Government is not interested in funding state schools to make them better.

Didn’t we used to have a system of state schools for at least one “elite”, theoretically, at least, based on ability, not wealth?, indeed, some areas of the UK still have such schools I believe.

As always “wealth” is relative, compared to my childhood household, your two teacher parents, were positively rolling in money.

icowden

Legendary Member
So, here we have icow insulting me AND by implication referring to himself as "very bright".
Well yes. That's how assisted places are apportioned. I didn't design the system, I benefitted from it. You on the other hand continuously display the intelligence of a twig by repeatedly insulting me despite multiple requests to stop. You still haven't fvcked off and are still delightedly playing in your own shoot. Now fvck off again.

icowden

Legendary Member
As always “wealth” is relative, compared to my childhood household, your two teacher parents, were positively rolling in money.
Absolutely - although one of those parents didn't teach until I was 11 years old and the other died when I was 14. They did have to make a contribution though as my dad had a fairly decent wage as a deputy head up until he died. On yet another hand, *any* child accepted by the school could have a full assisted place if their income was such that they could not contribute. The entry criteria was not solely wealth.

icowden

Legendary Member
Didn’t we used to have a system of state schools for at least one “elite”, theoretically, at least, based on ability, not wealth?, indeed, some areas of the UK still have such schools I believe.
They do, but they are comparatively rare and usually aim at academic ability based on test scores rather than intellectual ability which is what private schools tend to go by. Tiffin Boys and Tiffin Girls Grammar schools are the nearest to us, but they solely admit based on academic ability in English and Maths. Around 1800 pupils per year compete for 180 places. Public schools tend to have a much broader entry exam and are looking for pupils who will fit their ethos and who are keen to learn, usually assessing pupils in multiple ways - not just maths and English.

I agree that the current system is neither fair nor equitable, but I think that you fix it by improving the state offering such that you reduce the need for Private Schools not by stunting the education of those already there.

D

Deleted member 28

It's just a shame Shep that you appear to be as thick as multitool. I went to a private school. My parents were not wealthy.

Do you see? Private schools are not just for the wealthy. It's as simple as that. There is a class of children at private school who are not wealthy. This is a trope trotted out by the labour party.

Do I want to be paying for a private school, of course not. But until we get a government willing to sing *significant* amounts of money into education, there is no acceptable provision for some children by the state.

Finland is held up as the example. Their schools have excellent facilities and small class sizes. There is very little benefit to going private in Finland. We have poor schools with few resources and inadequate teachers. You get good teachers by paying more. You get good schools by investing money in them so that they have equipment and facilities.

Just another self pitying rant, I assume you had a rather tough childhood as you do seem to feel very sorry for yourself.

As for being 'thick ', I'll swap my stress free, house paid off at 56, retired by 60 stress free life for the whining, self pitying, always someone else's fault existence you appear to be living.

multitool

Well yes. That's how assisted places are apportioned. I didn't design the system, I benefitted from it. You on the other hand continuously display the intelligence of a twig by repeatedly insulting me despite multiple requests to stop. You still haven't fvcked off and are still delightedly playing in your own shoot. Now fvck off again.

Have you not noticed the delicious irony of you demanding to be called by a certain epithet, and yet you would choose to deny that privilege to others, in another thread.

Quite apart from the other point that your demand displays gross exceptionalism, not to say immaturity. Do you see Newfhouse complaining when I call him 'newf'? No. Because he's not a big baby.

Top Bottom