Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Ah the old game of damned if he doesn't, damned if he does, I see.

Hardly 'damned'. I just think it's a bit odd, when he could just Tweet something bland like 'Today I was with the @PrifWeinidog, listening to Muslims in Cardiff about their concerns about the situation in Gaza'. The hostage framing looks a bit racist, and it all looks Too Little Too Late. I mean, like the rest of us, they probably heard him say what he says he didn't say.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Pharaoh
Hardly 'damned'. I just think it's a bit odd, when he could just Tweet something bland like 'Today I was with the @PrifWeinidog, listening to Muslims in Cardiff about their concerns about the situation in Gaza'. The hostage framing looks a bit racist

Why racist? He isn't holding some Muslims in a community centre in Cardiff responsible for the actions of Hamas.

, and it all looks Too Little Too Late. I mean, like the rest of us, they probably heard him say what he says he didn't say.

I expect they noticed he didn't repeat that he felt Israel had the right to turn off power and water either after the LBC interview, nor before it, and nor did any other Labour front bencher, and I expect they came to the conclusion that the LBC interview was the outlier and was probably a confusion.

D

Deleted member 49

So thoughtful of him to call for Gaza to have water and electricity to enjoy while they’re being bombed out of existence.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Why racist? He isn't holding some Muslims in a community centre in Cardiff responsible for the actions of Hamas.

For the LOTO to publicly link random Muslims with hostage-taking in a climate of rampant anti-Muslim prejudice is irresponsible at best. That's the generous reading.
I expect they noticed he didn't repeat that he felt Israel had the right to turn off power and water either after the LBC interview, nor before it, and nor did any other Labour front bencher, and I expect they came to the conclusion that the LBC interview was the outlier and was probably a confusion.

Probably a good idea not to repeat things that have gone down like a bucket of cold sick, I agree. Pretending you didn't say it isn't a good look, though. I'm so old I remember when the previous LOTO was relentlessly pilloried, mostly by hostile centrists, for failing to take control of the media narrative.

multitool

Pharaoh
For the LOTO to publicly link random Muslims with hostage-taking in a climate of rampant anti-Muslim prejudice is irresponsible at best. That's the generous reading.

Where on earth do you get the notion that he was linking random Muslims to hostage taking???

Because he was in a Muslim community centre? Are they a hive mind now? Sounds a bit...err...racist on your part tbqhwy.

Probably a good idea not to repeat things that have gone down like a bucket of cold sick, I agree. Pretending you didn't say it isn't a good look, though. I'm so old I remember when the previous LOTO was relentlessly pilloried, mostly by hostile centrists, for failing to take control of the media narrative.

The point is he didn't say it BEFORE the LBC interview, and the LBC wasn't his first interview on the topic.

The truth, which below your faux-naiveté I think you realise, is that the LBC interviewer was desperate for a gotcha along the lines of 'Labour leader is still antisemitic', and Starmer was determined not to give it to him.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
the LBC interviewer was desperate for a gotcha along the lines of 'Labour leader is still antisemitic', and Starmer was determined not to give it to him.

F*cked that one up then didn't he? This has been my point all along. Starmer is so afraid to appear antisemitic that he's become an Islamophobic war crime endorsing genocidal maniac.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
F*cked that one up then didn't he? This has been my point all along. Starmer is so afraid to appear antisemitic that he's become an Islamophobic war crime endorsing genocidal maniac.
I see what you did there.

This is the anti-Starmer thread so I suppose a little ironic hyperbole for comic effect is to be expected.

matticus

Guru
I do love a really well-crafted, rhyming chant:

https://novaramedia.com/2023/10/20/...abour-faces-protests-over-israel-gaza-stance/
Labour’s headquarters in London were hit by protests today, after the party’s political crisis over its response to Israel’s war on Palestine deepened throughout the week.

The protesters, organised by London Palestine Action, held banners saying, “Blood on your hands”, “End the occupation” and “Stop arming Israel”. They chanted:
Keir Starmer, you can’t hide, you’re endorsing genocide.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Why racist? He isn't holding some Muslims in a community centre in Cardiff responsible for the actions of Hamas

Now who's doing faux-naiveté? It's in the Tweet. I went to meet some Muslims and repeated my call to release the hostages. Association. Context (sorry, Aurora). Only marginally more subtle than Richard Madeley asking Layla Moran whether she'd heard about the Hamas plan.

the LBC interviewer was desperate for a gotcha along the lines of 'Labour leader is still antisemitic', and Starmer was determined not to give it to him

This is the sort of madness it is only possible to write if you have forgotten what the whole purpose of the 'Labour Antisemitism' scandal was and what Starmer's role in it has been.

multitool

Pharaoh
Just getting in early to pre-empt the inevitable tedious Corbyn related hyperbolic response.

OK, so you are saying that Starmer was desperate not to appear anti-semtic, but it's hyperbolic to suggest that this was a result of the Corbyn era.

So if this sensitivity was not a result of the Corbyn era, what was it? Because I don't recall it being an accusation made before Corbyn's leadership.

Top Bottom