Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
True, but, it is a fairly typical turnout, in this area if no where else

That may be the case, but if the number of people who really super want to vote Labour in a byelection is the same as, or less than, the total number who voted for them in a general election they could still be in trouble.

Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
No single by-election is ever going to be a reliable predictor of votes in a GE except possibly if it is further evidence of a definite trend in results. There will be those who hail it as a portent of things to come and those who will grasp at any reason to show that it is not, but a win of any sort is better than a loss even if it just gives momentum to the idea that Labour could defeat the Tories at a GE. Perception is important in politics.

D

Deleted member 49

A wins a win right ...But there's no enthusiasm for either party.The Tories are fecked and I think Labour will almost certainly win the next election.For me the best outcome would be without a majority though, hopefully the Greens can gain some MPs.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A wins a win right ...But there's no enthusiasm for either party.The Tories are fecked and I think Labour will almost certainly win the next election.For me the best outcome would be without a majority though, hopefully the Greens can gain some MPs.

As I said in another thread look where enthusiasm led us with Blair and Johnson.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
That may be the case, but if the number of people who really super want to vote Labour in a byelection is the same as, or less than, the total number who voted for them in a general election they could still be in trouble.

True, anything is possible ;)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

I am with you on that, would not like to see either side with a massive majority.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

See this is a huge part of the reason that I frequently vote Lib Dem. Greens have been doing well round here recently though so who knows?

I think you are labouring under the misapprehension that it is all about truth. It isn't. It's about perception, and in political terms the ability of an opponent to shape it.

This is why I think Corbyn was such an utter fool. He didn't jnderstand politics. He gave the Tories a massive open goal, and all they had to do was dribble the ball in.

Compare and contrast Starmer's caution over the Israel issue with Corbyn liking an antisemitic mural than claiming he didn't realise it was antisemitic.

.What a buffoon.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5JXO8pHwgo

multitool

What a load of crap.

I didn't get past the electorally illiterate notion that Labour were only "2350 votes away from winning the election". They weren't and the people who pushed that idea seem to have forgotten we have a FPTP system.

If you look carefully you'll find Truss claiming that she was pushed out by a conspiracy too. It's sort of true, but nobody would claim it was a bad thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom