Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
China went one child, which was better for the planet.

Although arguably not better for the abandoned children or those left to die on hillsides.

albion

Guru
So much better than stopping / reducing the building coal fired power stations or reducing carbon emissions?
Probably. Though the recent glut in solar panels means China now implements more green than the rest of the world combined.
If you included China as another crazy pseudo carbon offsetter then maybe they would be greener than the rest of the world 5 fold.

Ian H

Legendary Member
IMG_20240724_111809502_HDR.jpg

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Although arguably not better for the abandoned children or those left to die on hillsides.

True, but, presumably, sooner or later, population growth will have to be confronted, otherwise, even more may die.

Personally, I think the problem will be “solved” by something like Covid+

China went one child, which was better for the planet.

Which didn't do well for the population as it faces a population crunch in about a decade's time. Too many old people, not enough young people to fill the gap.

China basically scrapped its one child policy years ago but the problem is that the young people around are not having kids, or enough of them, to fill the upcoming population crunch. They can't afford it and the 996 work regime is leaving them exhausted.

Much to the annoyance of the CCP.

albion

Guru
One good China thing came to light recent. Those in manual labour get to retire early, which is how it should be, as they die earlier.

Here it is/was much the opposite, at least in government.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
If we are, not fast enough, perhaps?

Perhaps, but how in real terms do we reduce the planet's population? And where; those countries that are reducing their birth rates or those that continue to have large families? Government dictat, voluntary action, international agreement?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Perhaps, but how in real terms do we reduce the planet's population? And where; those countries that are reducing their birth rates or those that continue to have large families? Government dictat, voluntary action, international agreement?

Good question. Same way we "cooperate" to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, reduce use of fossil fuels, etc etc. In short, personally, I don't see it happening. "Nature" will take a hand mass starvation/water shortages/disease/war will "solve" the problem. The Human Race may, or may not survive. It is not what I WANT to happen, but, based on our performance so far, I think it is what will happen.

D

Deleted member 159

What have you done Starmer. You have literally painted the vast majority of the British public as right wing thugs. They wont forget or forgive when the time comes.

albion

Guru
I doubt it matters, them moving in drove from the Tories to the Farage gang.
They are a tiny minority, one that probably gets even smaller in this instance

Top Bottom