Stop the War!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Does it matter what she is wearing? Would we comment on her attire if she were a man?

Male or female, I do agree she is a pretty lame MP, never mind Foreign Secretary.
Personally I think it's fair game to question, or point out if there's a certain type of image that's being attempted .

Particularly if it seems somewhat, manipulative eg aping Thatcher..
Although quite how that's supposed to help Truss I don't know - she seems to be well out of her depth. but...

However comments on perceived attractiveness (or otherwise) in the eye of the beholder are much more problematic.

Particularly in the case of women, as this aspect has historically been where the 'value' of a woman has largely been ascribed, and that really needs to change

In the case of politicians what they say and do should (of course) be of greatest import.

'Looks' are (or should be:rolleyes:) irrelevant.

But projected 'Image' is still part of the 'game'..

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Why not ?

The principle is the same. Politicians carefully choose their public images to make a point e.g Truss's hat, and cannot complain when they are sussed out. ;):whistle::rolleyes::okay::laugh::wacko::becool:

Because, a few days ago, when I harked back to Prescott’s Command and Control Centres, as an example of Government Incompetance/waste, one of the unofficial mods whined about me going back that far. I may be wrong, but, I think Maggie predated Prescott.

BoldonLad

Personally I think it's fair game to question, or point out if there's a certain type of image that's being attempted .

Particularly if it seems somewhat, manipulative eg aping Thatcher..
Although quite how that's supposed to help Truss I don't know - she seems to be well out of her depth. but...

However comments on perceived attractiveness (or otherwise) in the eye of the beholder are much more problematic.

Particularly in the case of women, as this aspect has historically been where the 'value' of a woman has largely been ascribed, and that really needs to change

In the case of politicians what they say and do should (of course) be of greatest import.

'Looks' are (or should be:rolleyes:) irrelevant.

But projected 'Image' is still part of the 'game'..

As always, if you say so.

mudsticks

Squire
As always, if you say so.
Maybe you don't mean to come across like that but.

"As always if you say so"

Sounds quite patronising / dismissive.

If you agree with some or all of what I've written, or disagree same, then by all means say so, and ideally why.

Otherwise it comes across as if you really can't be bothered to consider any of it .

Which is also your perogative, but at least have the guts to say so ;)

mudsticks

Squire
“Whatevs.”

Yup..

But it's all ok now, like as if I care, if Bolders giveth a shoot, about any of it.. ;)

Anyhoo up,I realised I was just in a bit of a bad mood cos I couldn't find the right sized spanner, and it's been raining continuosly on my 'day off' But I found it now, and its cleared up .

So just time for a quick jolly jaunt out before it gets dark. :hello:

BoldonLad

Maybe you don't mean to come across like that but.

"As always if you say so"

Sounds quite patronising / dismissive.

If you agree with some or all of what I've written, or disagree same, then by all means say so, and ideally why.

Otherwise it comes across as if you really can't be bothered to consider any of it .

Which is also your perogative, but at least have the guts to say so ;)

I made the point (previously) that IMHO, it is unfair to comment on a female politician's choice of clothing, and/or physical appearance. Generally, people would not comment on a male politician's choice of clothing and/or physical appearance. Another contributor pointed out that. comments on male politicians (Foot and Corbyn) sartorial. standards, are made. I don't dispute the latter, but, with male politicians, their appearance/dress sense is not generally used as a regular put-down. Think Boris, rumpled shirt, uncombed hair, barely gets a mention.

To be clear, I prefer Politicians (regardless or party and/or gender, and/or sexual orientation) to be competent. As has been discussed previously, in other threads, none of us are totally immune to some prejudice, but, generally, whilst sartorial elegance may be "nice to see", my first preference is competence. So, whilst I am am immune to Ms Truss's choice of hats, I would prefer her to be competent.

As you say, in Politics "image" is part of the game (eg topless Putin, riding his horse, I am sure there are myriad other examples).

Last edited:

stowie

So, it is allowed to dredge back many years for examples? ;)

Well, the Corbyn example was from 2018, so I am not sure that counts as "many years" ago.

He was "branded scruffy and disrespectful" according the Daily Mail. Who was branding him this is unsaid, but I assume it was also the Daily Mail.

Liz Truss is trying to cultivate "a look" with her new role and her ambitions. She has - apparently - had hundreds of photos taken by official photographers since becoming FS. It is reasonable under these circumstances to consider what look she is trying for and why..

stowie

As a side note, there are probably more important things to discuss than Liz Truss's wardrobe and photograph opportunities.

Like how that nasty piece of work Sergey Lavrov managed to make the UK foreign secretary look like a total moron with one question.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well, if it means what I think it means, I am a septuagenarian, so, that is my excuse, what's yours? (I don't know @newfhouse's age, so, cannot comment for him/her).
Excuse for what?

What do you think it means?

We are the same age and even I know it is just a version of the rather juvenile:

BoldonLad

Well, the Corbyn example was from 2018, so I am not sure that counts as "many years" ago.

He was "branded scruffy and disrespectful" according the Daily Mail. Who was branding him this is unsaid, but I assume it was also the Daily Mail.

Liz Truss is trying to cultivate "a look" with her new role and her ambitions. She has - apparently - had hundreds of photos taken by official photographers since becoming FS. It is reasonable under these circumstances to consider what look she is trying for and why..

True, one example was "only" four years old, Michael Foot was 1980's !

Yes, it is reasonable to ponder the "look and why" but, only if a male politician would be similarly scrutinised. Also, other than her perceived competence level, is there ay reason why Ms Truss should have ambitions?, presumably, we expect (say0 Starmer to have ambitions to be PM?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
As you say, in Politics "image" is part of the game (eg topless Putin, riding his horse, I am sure there are myriad other examples).
And, because of that, all fair game for criticism/cynicism, whether Putin, Truss or anyone else.

P.s. afaik Putin, Foot, Corbyn, Johnson, Milliband were/are all male and have all come in for mockery over their look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom