Stop the War!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
...Think Boris, rumpled shirt, uncombed hair, barely gets a mention...
Johnson gets regular criticism, albeit mostly from elderly conservatives who think he should look 'respectable'. Others have commented on how he rumples his naturally tidy hair before public appearances.
Criticism of Truss is directed at her crass image manipulation, not at her appearance per se. It's fair game to comment because she is blatantly using it to convince us that she's Thatcher's rightful heir. All that effort could have gone into mastering her brief.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Johnson gets regular criticism, albeit mostly from elderly conservatives who think he should look 'respectable'. Others have commented on how he rumples his naturally tidy hair before public appearances.
Criticism of Truss is directed at her crass image manipulation, not at her appearance per se. It's fair game to comment because she is blatantly using it to convince us that she's Thatcher's rightful heir. All that effort could have gone into mastering her brief.

Yes, it would certainly have helped if she did a bit of “swotting”.

D

Deleted member 49

What's with the fashion Police in this thread ! Can we keep on topic please !

That Starmer looks like a PM in waiting though doesn't he....you don't hear anyone criticizing his choice of suits 🙄

swansonj

Regular
Anyhoo up,I realised I was just in a bit of a bad mood cos I couldn't find the right sized spanner, and it's been raining continuosly on my 'day off' But I found it now, and its cleared up .....
Are we talking delicate little spanners for tightening up mudguard stays on bicycles, or are we talking FO big spanners for tackling the rear wheels on tractors?

(not that I know what size spanner you need to change the rear wheel on a tractor, I just presume it weighs as much as your average entire bicycle...)

mudsticks

Squire
Are we talking delicate little spanners for tightening up mudguard stays on bicycles, or are we talking FO big spanners for tackling the rear wheels on tractors?

(not that I know what size spanner you need to change the rear wheel on a tractor, I just presume it weighs as much as your average entire bicycle...)

Medium sized ones for internal workings of bigger tractor.

I leave rear wheel nuts, to proper mechanics with mahoosive hydraulic wrenches, and a jack safe enough to support it all..

I'd rather keep both legs intact if possible.

Happy to say I knew where the dainty little allen keys necessary for minimal bike adjustment were, already.

So back home safe, in time for chicken bedtime .. 🐔🐔🐔🐔 etc

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I made the point (previously) that IMHO, it is unfair to comment on a female politician's choice of clothing, and/or physical appearance. Generally, people would not comment on a male politician's choice of clothing and/or physical appearance. Another contributor pointed out that. comments on male politicians (Foot and Corbyn) sartorial. standards, are made. I don't dispute the latter, but, with male politicians, their appearance/dress sense is not generally used as a regular put-down. Think Boris, rumpled shirt, uncombed hair, barely gets a mention.

To be clear, I prefer Politicians (regardless or party and/or gender, and/or sexual orientation) to be competent. As has been discussed previously, in other threads, none of us are totally immune to some prejudice, but, generally, whilst sartorial elegance may be "nice to see", my first preference is competence. So, whilst I am am immune to Ms Truss's choice of hats, I would prefer her to be competent.

As you say, in Politics "image" is part of the game (eg topless Putin, riding his horse, I am sure there are myriad other examples).
Wildly confused post, IMO. Clothing is a signifier - its meanings are culturally encoded. I've got plenty to say about Rees-Mogg's suits, Sunak's trousers, Starmer's hair, Priti Patel's Nazi overcoat range, and indeed Thatcher's handbag. I wrote something on-topic but unflattering about Johnson's appearance in a thread over the road and it actually got deleted by CC's resident Tory Protection Officer. It's one of the more tedious carry-overs from the other place to pretend to be unable to distinguish between Things That are Not the Same in order to appropriate superficially progressive arguments to reactionary ends. There is nothing misogynistic about noticing and commenting on the fact that Truss, someone touted as a leadership contender, is wearing Russian hats and posing in tanks like the most fetishised leader in Tory mythology. That doesn't mean that Truss isn't also the subject of sexist commentary - although she would probably disagree, given that her spell as Women & Equalities Minister didn't appear to involve any recognition on her part that sexism actually exists.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
What I mean is that the need for Starmer to show he is not Corbyn has gone so I am not sure how you think he is still often telling us he is not Corbyn. I think that perhaps it is just your dislike of Starmer colouring what you see, as in the post above about the interview.
Adam's right about this. There's no change in Labour's policy on NATO since the 17 and 19 manifestos - Starmer isn't announcing a new policy, he's rhetorically distancing himself and the party under his leadership from its brief flirtation with considering what an ethical foreign policy might look like. And signalling his support for the Tories' new war. Of course it'll go down well with the media, the military and so on, but it's absolutely batshit crazy.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Adam's right about this. There's no change in Labour's policy on NATO since the 17 and 19 manifestos - Starmer isn't announcing a new policy, he's rhetorically distancing himself and the party under his leadership from its brief flirtation with considering what an ethical foreign policy might look like. And signalling his support for the Tories' new war. Of course it'll go down well with the media, the military and so on, but it's absolutely batshit crazy.
What Tory new war? I didn't realise they were in a position to start one.

Do you mean Johnson wanting to take attention off his domestic woes by talking tough over Ukraine?

mudsticks

Squire
Wildly confused post, IMO. Clothing is a signifier - its meanings are culturally encoded. I've got plenty to say about Rees-Mogg's suits, Sunak's trousers, Starmer's hair, Priti Patel's Nazi overcoat range, and indeed Thatcher's handbag. I wrote something on-topic but unflattering about Johnson's appearance in a thread over the road and it actually got deleted by CC's resident Tory Protection Officer. It's one of the more tedious carry-overs from the other place to pretend to be unable to distinguish between Things That are Not the Same in order to appropriate superficially progressive arguments to reactionary ends. There is nothing misogynistic about noticing and commenting on the fact that Truss, someone touted as a leadership contender, is wearing Russian hats and posing in tanks like the most fetishised leader in Tory mythology. That doesn't mean that Truss isn't also the subject of sexist commentary - although she would probably disagree, given that her spell as Women & Equalities Minister didn't appear to involve any recognition on her part that sexism actually exists.

Here's me daring Bolders to reply with a 'whatevs'

😊

stowie

Yes, it is reasonable to ponder the "look and why" but, only if a male politician would be similarly scrutinised. Also, other than her perceived competence level, is there ay reason why Ms Truss should have ambitions?, presumably, we expect (say0 Starmer to have ambitions to be PM?

I would say her competence level is a pretty big reason for us to be concerned about her getting to the top job. In that being PM really should require quite a high level of competence and she has so very, very little of it.

mudsticks

Squire
I would say her competence level is a pretty big reason for us to be concerned about her getting to the top job. In that being PM really should require quite a high level of competence and she has so very, very little of it.
That would seem to be so.

But the present incumbent has arguably even less competence , and even seems quite proud of the fact.

Or at least seems keen to project the bumbling amateur schtick.

Small wonder then that he surrounds himself with 'yes' people, who are unlikely to outmanoeuvre him.

If you had half an eye to the next election not being won by the Tories , then Truss would seem like quite a good choice, for the next PM.

Top Bottom