Strike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very helpful I am sure

Every man or woman for themselves is the reason poverty pay persists.

albion

Guru
There are no profits. Government is subsidising rail and bus to the tune of billions.
Heavily taxing and/or removing cars is the only way forward.

D

Deleted member 49

There are no profits. Government is subsidising rail and bus to the tune of billions.
Failed privatisation...is that what you mean ?
Poor service and extortionate fares....how is that not going to keep people out of their cars.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

I don’t quite get how taxing/banning cars will makes bus / trains more profitable / efficient?

As far as I can see, it would simply make more people dependant on a crap system, and, hostage to transport unions.

icowden

Legendary Member
I don’t quite get how taxing/banning cars will makes bus / trains more profitable / efficient?
I think the argument is that if cars become more expensive, then more people will use buses/trains. With increased passenger numbers the profits can be put back into those services so that there are more of them and better services all round. The reason that they suffer at the moment is that it's a lot cheaper to go by car most of the time.

For example, my in laws live in the New Forest, not that far from a train station (Note': now they have their OAP passes they use the train to come up and visit rather than drive). However for us to visit them as a family of 4, it would cost £121.10 return plus £18 in parking charges (30 minute walk to the station, no bus service, and an Uber would cost about the same, if not more). Plus we'd have to carry all the baggage.

If we go in the car, we have the car to use while we are down there and it will cost about £20. I'll be fully charged when I leave (£6.22) and I'll probably top up whilst down there - so call that £12.80 for 40kwh.

If I want to take the family to visit my mum in Worcester we are looking at £280 return for a journey that takes twice as long as a car journey that costs £30.

It's a no brainer.

Last edited:

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
I think the argument is that if cars become more expensive, then more people will use buses/trains. With increased passenger numbers the profits can be put back into those services so that there are more of them and better services all round. The reason that they suffer at the moment is that it's a lot cheaper to go by car most of the time.

For example, my in laws live in the New Forest, not that far from a train station (Note': now they have their OAP passes they use the train to come up and visit rather than drive). However for us to visit them as a family of 4, it would cost £121.10 return plus £18 in parking charges (30 minute walk to the station, no bus service, and an Uber would cost about the same, if not more). Plus we'd have to carry all the baggage.

If we go in the car, we have the car to use while we are down there and it will cost about £20. I'll be fully charged when I leave (£6.22) and I'll probably top up whilst down there - so call that £12.80 for 40kwh.

If I want to take the family to visit my mum in Worcester we are looking at £280 return for a journey that takes twice as long as a car journey that costs £30.

It's a no brainer.

Ha ha ha!

BoldonLad

It's a no brainer.

If we take "convenience" into account, it is hard to see how door to door car travel can compete with public tarnsport.

Didn't the post say there were no profits, only subsidies?

Does increased passenger numbers cancel the possibility of disruption through industrial action ?, personally, I would have thought that increased dependance on public transport makes disruption by industrial action more likely, not less likely.

Last edited:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
more people dependant on a crap system, and, hostage to transport unions.
If we had opted to use the railways for our England trip 10 days ago it would have been iffy that we made it, German train drivers called a strike with hardly any notice.

I also hate to think of the bedlam caused by eurotunnel suddenly going on strike yesterday. Next to no chance of a ferry as an alternative.

The moral of the story is note those means of transport liable to go on strike and avoid them like the plague as far as possible.

icowden

Legendary Member
If we take "convenience" into account, it is hard to see how door to door car travel can compete with public tarnsport.
Sure - but it's the cost that is the main driver. Rail travel is far, far too expensive compared to car travel.

Does increased passenger numbers cancel the possibility of disruption through industrial action ?, personally, I would have thought that increased dependance on public transport makes disruption by industrial action more likely, not less likely.
Yes, but the simple solution to that is to pay the staff properly and negotiate industrial action properly.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Sure - but it's the cost that is the main driver. Rail travel is far, far too expensive compared to car travel.

Yes, but the simple solution to that is to pay the staff properly and negotiate industrial action properly.

I do wish you wouldn't make me laugh so much, I am a bit fragile this morning.

Top Bottom