Strike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
Big march in London yesterday. Not that you'd know it from coverage in the BBC.

It does look like a concerted effort to just ignore it and hope everyone else forgets too. Even the Tory press ignore it now, rather than their usual attempts to attack it.

Nurses seem close to accepting a 5% increase. Plus a £1650 one off payment.

The one off payment is such a sly move as the inflation is baked in to future prices so a one off payment looks good for now but leaves everyone short again for the rest of their working career.
People are easily hoodwinked. The effect of 10% inflation still exists even if annual inflation goes back down to 2% next year.

D

Deleted member 28

I take it your life is so dull and uneventful you have alerts set up in order to respond instantly to forum posts, f*ckin ell mate you need to get out more.

multitool

Shaman
You responded to my post, you dõrk

Screenshot_2023-03-16-19-52-15-031-edit_com.mi.globalbrowser.jpg

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Government attempting to settle pay dispute by dicking about with the pay structure again rather than just paying everybody a bit more I see. It was a con job last time which bamboozled the unions so I hope they haven't fallen for it again.

Screenshot_20230317-121520_Chrome.jpg

I wonder where this is going to leave other NHS staff? Do the nurses have greater negotiating power than other workers? Will their pay be increased at the expense of others'?

tom73

Government attempting to settle pay dispute by dicking about with the pay structure again rather than just paying everybody a bit more I see. It was a con job last time which bamboozled the unions so I hope they haven't fallen for it again.

View attachment 3365

I wonder where this is going to leave other NHS staff? Do the nurses have greater negotiating power than other workers? Will their pay be increased at the expense of others'?

Don't assume Nurse's want this , when the details came out about the sell out bribe deal. Most RCN members went WTF is this all about, it's never been talked about , discussed/debated my members or voted on and formally aspected as RCN policy.

On the wider matter of the RCN , members are angry about this sell out the over whelming voice is it looks like it will be rejected.
The RCN has a long history of selling it's members down the river within hours of this deal the process was started for a vote of no confidence. The 4th in as many years current gen sec is only in place as the last one left on the QT when she was shown to have mislead members over an internal vote. It's just the latest in a long line of total disregard and kingdom making by the executive. What's even worse is many members who due to how the NHS works now are doing NHS work but working for a provider. But on full NHS AfC t&c never got a vote on stake action and now find they will not get a vote on the deal either. That's around 100k members. My wife is one them what's even more stupid is in my wife's case is she's a RCN steward prevented by her own union from taking strike action.

We now know that even when it's own member stood in freezing cold on picket lines in January RCN was already holding secret talk with the government. One condition in the deal that the unions are not making clear is if they vote yes they will undertake and agree not hold any strikes for the whole period of this offer ie up to April 2024.

What ever happens Pat Cullen and her 6 figure salary will be gone in matter of weeks and the RCN will yet again find it's self down yet another rabbit hole. They need to get Peter Carter back or find someone as good and fast otherwise it going to get even more messy.

D

Deleted member 49

Some good news.
"A total uplift on basic earnings between 15.2 per cent for the lowest paid grades to 10.3 per cent for the highest paid grades."
And "no compulsory redundancy agreement until January 2025"

View: https://twitter.com/RMTunion/status/1637806977861517316?t=AjgiUanVZwxH_5P5Nr4QIw&s=19

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Well, the strikes all went very well didn't they?

Pat Cullen telling us the 'only way that patient care will be made better is if the NHS staff get 19% pay rise', now it looks like 5% and a bit of a one-off payment is where we are heading. I said pages and pages ago, nurses leaders are half-wits, and they led a well thought of group of people in to a trap where they have accepted 1% more than was already on offer and lost a huge amount of the good will that had been built up, they just didn't want to see it because they were blinded by their own self-importance.

Now we have Mick Lynch doing the rounds looking and sounding highly pissed off that his members have accepted their new pay offer against his highly paid advice. Nobber.

Now we have the Jr Drs asking for 35%, as it is the only way to recruit and retain Drs and keep patients safe. Who wants to bet they accept 6% over 2 years and that Medical Schools will still be over-subscribed for the next 10 years?

Then the teachers, one of who was on tv a couple of weeks ago telling us that the pupils in her school went 'on strike' the day before and the teachers were appalled at their behaviour as they were shouting and waving signs around. I wonder where they learnt that behaviour, possibly from the teachers who just a couple of days previously had been standing around, shouting and waving placards!

Strikes, simply an outdated waste of time by people who should know better.

multitool

Shaman
Which bits were incorrect, or cause you to think I am a nob? It all looks pretty bloody accurate to me.

Sorry, was a bit blunt :tongue:

I disagree with pretty much all of it. Negotiations always involve overstatement because otherwise there is no bargaining room. There is also no guarantee of any sort of 'win'.

I don't think any of the strikers have lost public goodwill because there is so much badwill towards the Tory government.

Top Bottom