Sturgeon resigns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
In her latest 'straight talking' outburst, she appears to have said that trans women are, in her view, biological males.

Which, awkwardly, constitutes a breach of the SNP's own rules on transphobia:

View: https://twitter.com/MhairiHunter/status/1363858296524931077?s=20

Oops.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment

How does the guideline that it is transphobic to impute the actual or perceived wrongdoing of one trans person to the group as a whole equate with the notion that white heteronormative males are responsible for the ills of the world as a class?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
How does the guideline that it is transphobic to impute the actual or perceived wrongdoing of one trans person to the group as a whole equate with the notion that white heteronormative males are responsible for the ills of the world as a class?

Yawn.

monkers

Guru

Oh dear it's that word 'equate' causing you problems again. It doesn't suggest any attempt to 'equate' one thing with the other - that was 'all inside your head', just like the other times.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Right. I understand why this is funny. But what's the ironing board meme about?

Fpl4B8hWIAAyhvJ.jpeg

Makes me realise how little Scottish news (and NI and Wales I suppose) makes it into English newspapers and websites.

Edit: Nevermind. Scottish Twitter folk have started explaining it to the rest of us. Bit of an unfounded rumour/conspiracy theory apparently, which explains why it wasn't in the news.

Last edited:

Milzy

I'm afraid that is not correct. Ordinarily children are deemed to be mature enough to decide on their own medical treatments from the age of 16. Under circumstances they can be overruled if they are not competent enough; this is known as Gillick competence.

Also, regret rates are very low.

https://epath.eu/wp-content/uploads...BI4e8igpbXiBOxh4NQc6un1QvQcgt85kFFnk#page=139

Yes I know the law but I’d put it up to 18. They can do what they like for me as long as they’re happy.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
One of the criticisms of the Cass report, apart from rushing kids onto puberty blockers before exploring their numerous issues, was that the Tavistock didn't keep adequate records. Noone knows what the regret rate is because many kids dropped off the records and there is poor long term follow up to see what happened. There's often a period of initial euphoria and regret doesn't kick in til later when you realise transitioning didn't solve all your problems and gender dysphoria was a symptom of them not the solution.

(I'm talking about children and under 25 ish here obviously, not people in their 30's/40's/50's who have had years to think it through).

D

Deleted member 121

All three candidates for the SNP leadership race, replacing Sturgeon have stated that they believe Scotland can be independent in 5 years when asked directly "If you win, will Scotland become independent within five years?"

Responding:
Humza Yousaf says: "I believe it can be and I want to be the one to deliver it but we have to stop talking about policy... and build a consistent majority for independence."

Kate Forbes says she believes Scottish independence will come sooner than in five years. "If you make the case and see the dial shift in support, there will be a route forward."

Ash Regan says Scotland will become independent in five years if she becomes first minister. For her "it's urgent - I want us to have all the power to create a better country for the people who live here". She says she would use a "voter empowerment mechanism to give people the power to say when they're ready for independence.

Interesting all three answer yes but talk about building support and i have no idea what "voter empowerment mechanism" means.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
It's waffling, empty and meaningless bollocks. Unfortunately the reason why we are left with these three no-marks to choose from is because no-one of any substance in Holyrood will go near it.

The leader/FM role is a poisoned chalice now, whoever occupies that position cannot deliver on the promises of the 2021 election because the Supreme Court ruled that Scotland has no ability to make its own decision on independence without permission that both Tory & Labour parties have sworn they will never give, regardless of the circumstances.

There is not, and will never be a legitimate route to independence under the existing UK system.

icowden

Legendary Member
All three candidates for the SNP leadership race, replacing Sturgeon have stated that they believe Scotland can be independent in 5 years when asked directly "If you win, will Scotland become independent within five years?"
Well, if they didn't say that they thought that, they wouldn't be running for leader of a party whose key mission is Scottish independence, would they? As @Xipe Totec said. It's meaningless rowlocks.

It would be like asking a Labour leader if they supported Unions or a Conservative Leader if they were going to cut taxes.

Top Bottom