The Dahl Affair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Even dyed in the wool reactionary bigots like Shep

He does tend to be judgemental, doesn't he ...

I'm just "calling a spade a spade,".

It's what he'd have wanted.

Ian H

Guru
In so far as childhood literature is integral to educating children into social value systems, it is not surprising that those who grew up reading Rupert the Bear annuals of the 1940s, which depicted black people as rubbery-lipped identical beings called "Coons" with a tendency towards theft and dishonesty, should grow up to be racists.

Naturally, at the time, these children's cartoons were considered entirely appropriate and not at all controversial.

Because we all did of course.

In my case it was the 1950s/60s. The racism had been toned down - a bit. I still have an annual. It's educating to glance through it.

D

Deleted member 28

In my experience as both employee, and employer tolerance of 'scumbaggery' in the workplace goes alongside poor work output, low morale, and does nothing to retain the brightest and best.

It just promotes a 'race to the bottom'.
As can be observed in those two examples you've given.

The way it's portrayed (and swallowed) as some kind of 'thats just how it is - suck it up buttercup' spin by both protagonists and indeed many of its victims is due I reckon in no small part down to our still excessively class, and hierachy bound society.

Still I see a lot of the youth (and a good few older ones too 😇) are no longer having it, and are speaking up, standing up against the bullies, and saying enough is enough - good for them 👌🏼

Just to set the record straight if I may, it appears my use of the term 'scumbag ' has somehow been mistakingly attached to workplace colleagues that use more 'colourful ' terms or language within earshot of your delicate offspring.

I was actually referring to the real scumbags out there that will think nothing of sticking a glass in your face for looking at them the wrong way or robbing your house whilst you're in bed, obviously some on here see these type of crimes on a par with a bit of workplace banter.

As you were.

bobzmyunkle

Well, judging by Cyclechat, yes, a distressingly significant fraction of us did...
Of course. I was merely suggesting that some of the Tool's statements are a bit one dimensional. Rupert = indoctrinated child = racist adult. O.k. maybe not that one dimensional. I'm sure he'll be along in a minute to call me thick.

mudsticks

Squire
Just to set the record straight if I may, it appears my use of the term 'scumbag ' has somehow been mistakingly attached to workplace colleagues that use more 'colourful ' terms or language within earshot of your delicate offspring.

I was actually referring to the real scumbags out there that will think nothing of sticking a glass in your face for looking at them the wrong way or robbing your house whilst you're in bed, obviously some on here see these type of crimes on a par with a bit of workplace banter.

As you were.

You really do think you inhabit a world that none of us have any experience of don't you??

I remember early days you said how you made your mind up really quickly about things, see things in 'black and white' and how you were 'rarely' wrong .

And yet you repeatedly make assumption after assumption about people on here, based on very little evidence, and are very frequently 'wrong'.
eg that I have a 'failed marriage'
Now you assume my offspring are 'delicate' whatever that means.

You seem to think that none of us have any experience of those things of which you speak.

The fact that we do, is often the reason we want to see changes made for the better

We know full well, that there are tens of millions more like you out there who just shrug and go 'Oh well it's just how the world is, let's just accept it' it hasn't escaped us.

Meanwhile, you don't need to come here and tell us
'How it is in the real world '

We already know, we see and live in it ourselves, it's just some of us are for encouraging some change for the better.

If you're not interested, then that's your choice, living in a 'freeish' country, but don't feel you have to keep trying to 'educate' us about the 'real world' that's really utterly laughable..

multitool

Shaman
The funny thing about people who try to tell you about the 'real world' is that almost invariably it turns out that they haven't seen very much of it themselves.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

You really do think you inhabit a world that none of us have any experience of don't you??

I remember early days you said how you made your mind up really quickly about things, see things in 'black and white' and how you were 'rarely' wrong .

And yet you repeatedly make assumption after assumption about people on here, based on very little evidence, and are very frequently 'wrong'.
eg that I have a 'failed marriage'
Now you assume my offspring are 'delicate' whatever that means.

You seem to think that none of us have any experience of those things of which you speak.

The fact that we do, is often the reason we want to see changes made for the better

We know full well, that there are tens of millions more like you out there who just shrug and go 'Oh well it's just how the world is, let's just accept it' it hasn't escaped us.

Meanwhile, you don't need to come here and tell us
'How it is in the real world '

We already know, we see and live in it ourselves, it's just some of us are for encouraging some change for the better.

If you're not interested, then that's your choice, living in a 'freeish' country, but don't feel you have to keep trying to 'educate' us about the 'real world' that's really utterly laughable..

Far too much to say, as usual.

Dismissed.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
In my case it was the 1950s/60s. The racism had been toned down - a bit. I still have an annual. It's educating to glance through it.

It is interesting to see how things get adapted. My daughter started reading the Beano about 6 or 7 years ago (well, I read it to her). I knew it had changed from my day with slipper beatings being removed and Walter the softy becoming more of a super-villain etc.

However in the time we have been reading it, it has adapted. Firstly new strips as all the characters were white. So we have Harsha's Joke Shop, Sketch Khad, Dangerous Dan, Mahira of the Match. To a degree, some of them feel a bit like tokenism (lets do Ball boy but make him female and Asian) and Harsha's joke shop is just an Asian version of Tricky Dicky although a bit better conceived and the characters are actually different.

Where it started to become problematic even for my daughter was in changes to the Bash Street Kids. Fatty is now Freddy, Spotty is now Scotty which she found a bit annoying - their nicknames were never seen as perjoratives, just an integral part of their characters. Fatty often saves the day by eating the kids out of trouble (for example) or using his noxious wind.

The last straw for her was when they decided to expand Class 2b and add in Harsha, Mandi, Stevie Star, Khadija and Mahira as new Bash Street Kids. The result is that the strip doesn't work very well any more. It's hard enough to include 10 characters in a 2-3 page strip and give them all something to do, but 15 characters is too many and the actual Bash Street kids get side-lined through inclusion.

multitool

Shaman
That's a shame. Clearly yet another 6000 year old classic british tradition coming to an end before its time.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
That's a shame. Clearly yet another 6000 year old classic british tradition coming to an end before its time.
Ha ha.

It was more a reflection that sometimes making something more inclusive doesn't work and just breaks the thing. My daughter likes most of the new characters (not Mahira - she doesn't like football) but not at the expense of the Bash Street Kids. Trying to rationalise a comic strip into being like a real school doesn't work. It isn't real.

Top Bottom