The Dishi-Rishi thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I agree but you could say that about most subjects yet who was it that raised the school leaving age to 17 then 18?

Did people think that was a bad idea too?

Yes I know kids could still leave if they took up an apprenticeship or some other 'educational' position.

Simple one that @shep , if the Tories did it, it is a bad idea. ;)

D

Deleted member 28

Sunak's idea, I think, is that everyone should 'work in finance'.

You would have thought he may have learned from previous outdated ideas for extended education.

BoldonLad

Or indeed decided that the majority should go to university?
Was it because we needed an educated workforce? Nothing wrong with educating the workforce, but the majority of stuff taught in schools, and on many on university courses, has no use in the workplace.
Was in to create a more rounded and cultured population? I don't think that's usually a government priority.

Indeed, "one size fits all" isn't working out too well, IMHO, but, that is what has been happening since Teflon Tony.

Are we simply educating to provide "fodder" for industry?

BoldonLad

We can all agree that ambition is a good one. I can’t help but feel that the time do do so is a long way before sixteen years old.

Would not disagree with that, but, are we going to "write off" those currently in the system, and, create a problem for the next 50 years or so, or, do we try to correct it, by bringing those who have been failed "up to scratch"?

To me, the "who's fault is it argument" is a separate issue to the task of attempting to fix the lack of numeracy skills.

But, others may think differently, of course.

BoldonLad

Industries that I’m involved in don’t think we’re doing a very good job, if so.

Could not agree more.

I am long retired now, but, even 15 years ago, the standards of English and Maths among School Leavers and Those leaving University was frighteningly poor.

It needs to be corrected. That is for sure.

Would not disagree with that, but, are we going to "write off" those currently in the system, and, create a problem for the next 50 years or so, or, do we try to correct it, by bringing those who have been failed "up to scratch?
No, obviously not, but is that the proposal from Sunak, for this to be a short term intervention for a couple of years?

BoldonLad

No, obviously not, but is that the proposal from Sunak, for this to be a short term intervention for a couple of years?

No idea.

It would need to be for more than "a couple of years", the rot begins in Primary School, so, there is probably a "backlog" of at least 10 years.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong in introducing measures (even subsidies) to address a particular problem, and, then, amending those measures (or winding down/ending those subsidies) as the problem diminishes. All too often, it becomes Politically unacceptable to do the sensible thing. Few if any Politician have a view beyond a few months or possibly years (IMHO), hence, any problem which will take a long time (ie 10+ years) to address is unlikely to be tackled effectively.

icowden

Legendary Member
According to the report I have read (BBC), he said to "improve numeracy", no mention of everyone taking A Level Maths.
The issue is that Children in the UK have been taught maths from age 5 to 16. If they are still struggling with maths at 16, how is tow more years of it going to make any difference?

I presume it's a reaction to this:
Overall this confidence is reassuring but contrasts sharply with some indicators of maths attainment: UK teenagers are ranked just 27th in the OECD's most recent global tests when it comes to their maths skills, a fall from 26th place in 2012.

But the solution is not two more years of maths, it's better maths teaching in the first place. Eldest daughter struggles with maths (probably linked to dyslexia) but has had some excellent teachers who have enabled her to progress to a level where she is expected a very good grade at GCSE. Not everyone has that opportunity.

BoldonLad

The issue is that Children in the UK have been taught maths from age 5 to 16. If they are still struggling with maths at 16, how is tow more years of it going to make any difference?

I presume it's a reaction to this:

But the solution is not two more years of maths, it's better maths teaching in the first place. Eldest daughter struggles with maths (probably linked to dyslexia) but has had some excellent teachers who have enabled her to progress to a level where she is expected a very good grade at GCSE. Not everyone has that opportunity.

I cannot be bothered to type it out again, would you care to read my reply or replies to Newfhouse reference those already "in the system", or, is your "solution" just to write them off?

You are quite right, if they are struggling, no point trying to fix it, just give up.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I cannot be bothered to type it out again, would you care to read my reply or replies to Newfhouse reference those already "in the system", or, is your "solution" just to write them off?

You are quite right, if they are struggling, no point trying to fix it, just give up.

There will be a cohort that will need the 2 year fix, but ultimately it's just another governmental sticking plaster that doesn't address the root cause of the problem. Bit like employing a charity to help marooned truck drivers outside Dover when they should be fixing the border issues they created....
It's just a headline to make Sunak look positive in front of his failed management of the economy.

BoldonLad

There will be a cohort that will need the 2 year fix, but ultimately it's just another governmental sticking plaster that doesn't address the root cause of the problem. Bit like employing a charity to help marooned truck drivers outside Dover when they should be fixing the border issues they created....
It's just a headline to make Sunak look positive in front of his failed management of the economy.

I think I said similar, but, in not so may words, in my reply to Newfhouse. You may recall, I didn't vote for them ;)

Top Bottom