The Dishi-Rishi thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Eluding. Sorry - don't usually do that, but the context seemed to call for it.

No apology needed, perhaps Rishi needs to extend his education ambitions, to include English ;)

As I said elsewhere, always room for improvement ;)

Last edited:

Poacher

Regular
Sunak has been silent for weeks.
His first big announcement is Maths for every pupil until 18. Brilliant.

That will keep the nurses happy.

After much pondering, I've concluded that Rishi Sunak has made a back room deal with Rees-Mogg to drop his leadership bid in return for mandatory use of imperial measurements, which will surely need an additional two years of maths tuition.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

Ian H

Guru
A classic seat where the opposition vote is split between 3 parties. In this case Lib Dems and Greens should encourage their supporters to vote Labour. All that is then needed is a smallish swing to unseat the incumbent.

It don't work like that in Devon. See the Honiton & Tiverton by-election.

icowden

Legendary Member
It don't work like that in Devon. See the Honiton & Tiverton by-election.

Fair enough - then Labour and Green should give way to the Lib Dems (pretty much what happened in Honiton and Tiverton although the Labour and Green candidates did not withdraw - it would have been better had they done so as the paltry 3000 votes they amassed between them were wasted).

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I don't think you can assume that all previous Labour voters will vote that way again. There was a good Lib Dem showing in the before times. I think it's gonna take some local polling to give a better picture closer to election time.

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't think you can assume that all previous Labour voters will vote that way again. There was a good Lib Dem showing in the before times. I think it's gonna take some local polling to give a better picture closer to election time.

Sure - but the point is that Labour / Green and LibDem need to look at the polling and then consolidate the vote behind one candidate - or give up the seat as being Conservative.

In Esher and Walton I suspect that the showing will be for Lib Dem again to get rid of Raab. In the last election, if Peter Ashurst (Labour) had withdrawn and encouraged his voters to vote for Monica Harding (Lib Dem), Raab would have lost by 95 votes. If the independent candidate had also done the same that would have added a potential 347 further votes to unseat Raab, the net result of which is that he wouldn't have been able to keep destroying the Criminal Justice system through his own stupidity.

PartyCandidateVotes%±%
ConservativeDominic Raab31,13249.4

11px-Decrease2.svg.png
Liberal DemocratsMonica Harding28,38945.0
11px-Increase2.svg.png
LabourPeter Ashurst2,8384.5
11px-Decrease2.svg.png

If you compare that with 2017, what you see is a total collapse in the Labour vote and the withdrawal of the Green Party as those voters move to vote Lib Dem, on top of which Raab is massively unpopular.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ian H

Guru
Fair enough - then Labour and Green should give way to the Lib Dems (pretty much what happened in Honiton and Tiverton although the Labour and Green candidates did not withdraw - it would have been better had they done so as the paltry 3000 votes they amassed between them were wasted).

The turn-out was low. My impression was that Tory voters either voted LibDem or stayed away, Labour voters switched tactically. Historically there was a strong Liberal presence in the Southwest until Norman Scott's dog was shot. Labour has gained a couple of urban constituencies, but has a long way to go elsewhere.

Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
In other Dishi Rishi news, I just heard that he is planning to try and change the rules so that people can only go on strike if it doesn't inconvenience anyone. You can tell that he lives in the real world and identifies with the common man...

In other Dishi Rishi news, I just heard that he is planning to try and change the rules so that people can only go on strike if it doesn't inconvenience anyone. You can tell that he lives in the real world and identifies with the common man...

It would be good to know what he thinks the minimum service standards should be on the railways and in hospitals. Perhaps he could do something about enforcing them on non-strike days first.

Top Bottom