The Dishi-Rishi thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Even as a diversionary tactic it's poor.
Yet again, remind me who's been in charge for 12 years....

How's it going down in the Mail, Sun and Express this morning?

I'll have to scan the front pages on the way past.

The education system is in a dire, dire state especially for kids with additional needs. Until you've been a part of it you can't understand but it should be a source of national shame and an absolute scandal.

mudsticks

Squire
In all seriousness it's a ridiculous stunt and I actually find it offensive beyond it just being silly. Start with making primary education accessible to all children then maybe work your way up to secondary and further education.

Yup, if the necessary maths skills for most of us to function at a reasonable level in everyday life and work haven't been taught by mid teens then there's either some deficiency in the teaching system.

Or potentially in the learning capacity of the student, two more years of it isn't going to fix what did, or didn't happen earlier

By the time you get to A level maths you're getting into some pretty obscure equations, and concepts , not really required for most disciplines.

It's just a 'stupid stunt' on the part of Sunak

Does he really think that people are too thick not to see that.??

To be fair, there’s more to maths literacy than pure maths. I’d rather youngsters left school able to instinctively estimate size and weight, understand simple database concepts, and judge straightforward financial projections than have them all able to solve quadratics in their head. How many of the voting public believe that falling inflation means falling prices, for example?

When I interview entry level electronics engineers one of the simplest yet most revealing tasks is to ask them to pull about three metres of cable from a drum; that’s it. I find it astonishing - every time - how many otherwise bright people have no idea where to start. It’s not a deal breaker if they can’t but it does speak to their comfort with everyday practical tasks.

D

Deleted member 28

Yup, if the necessary maths skills for most of us to function at a reasonable level in everyday life and work haven't been taught by mid teens then there's either some deficiency in the teaching system.

Or potentially in the learning capacity of the student, two more years of it isn't going to fix what did, or didn't happen earlier
I agree but you could say that about most subjects yet who was it that raised the school leaving age to 17 then 18?

Did people think that was a bad idea too?

Yes I know kids could still leave if they took up an apprenticeship or some other 'educational' position.

icowden

Legendary Member
I agree but you could say that about most subjects yet who was it that raised the school leaving age to 17 then 18?
Did people think that was a bad idea too?
Not a bad idea, but possibly one that's becoming outdated - much like the way a lot of teaching is done. Most exams are still "memorise this lot and then write it down", yet most jobs are "research this, find out the information using everything at your disposal".

bobzmyunkle

Or indeed decided that the majority should go to university?
Was it because we needed an educated workforce? Nothing wrong with educating the workforce, but the majority of stuff taught in schools, and on many on university courses, has no use in the workplace.
Was in to create a more rounded and cultured population? I don't think that's usually a government priority.

D

Deleted member 28

Or indeed decided that the majority should go to university?
Was it because we needed an educated workforce? Nothing wrong with educating the workforce, but the majority of stuff taught in schools, and on many on university courses, has no use in the workplace.
Was in to create a more rounded and cultured population? I don't think that's usually a government priority.

Nor do I but it does seem that anything this government does is rubbish yet other's not so much?

Funny old world isn't it.

D

Deleted member 28

Not a bad idea, but possibly one that's becoming outdated - much like the way a lot of teaching is done. Most exams are still "memorise this lot and then write it down", yet most jobs are "research this, find out the information using everything at your disposal".

I see it's just outdated now whereas it was a good idea then.

Got it.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Does he really think that people are too thick not to see that.??

Am assuming a rhetorical question....

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I was told at school that I needed maths because I 'wouldn't always have a calculator in my pocket' which turned out to be bollocks.

I did grow up to be a scientist so maths is useful to me although my usual approach is that if I can plot it on a straight line then it's probably fine.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The country is not exactly awash with maths teachers so I think we can expect contracts for the usual suspects for online courses. I wonder if Sunak knows of any software companies that might be able to step up.

Might be good news for Daughter No2. She is a Maths teacher.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
To be fair, there’s more to maths literacy than pure maths. I’d rather youngsters left school able to instinctively estimate size and weight, understand simple database concepts, and judge straightforward financial projections than have them all able to solve quadratics in their head. How many of the voting public believe that falling inflation means falling prices, for example?

When I interview entry level electronics engineers one of the simplest yet most revealing tasks is to ask them to pull about three metres of cable from a drum; that’s it. I find it astonishing - every time - how many otherwise bright people have no idea where to start. It’s not a deal breaker if they can’t but it does speak to their comfort with everyday practical tasks.

Indeed.

According to the report I have read (BBC), he said to "improve numeracy", no mention of everyone taking A Level Maths.

An interesting proposition, it does raise the old question regarding "the purpose" of education, is it simply to provided fodder for industry, or, is the a more "noble" aspect, ie education for the sake of it.

What is clear (to me) is that a "one size fits all" approach, eg everyone to have a degree (I think education, education, education was the catch phrase) is not what is required.

Top Bottom