The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
But there's never been a coherent explanation of why, if Scotland is a pauper nation of politically inept, grudge-bearing subsidy junkies, why Westminster governments of whatever hue are quite so cravenly desperate to hang on to us. Has there?
It's simple. Prior to the rise of the SNP as a force to be reckoned with, Labour relied upon Scottish Labour MPs to get their majority.
The Conservatives are not interested in Scotland for the MPs, but for the income tax, north sea oil and the fact that if Scotland were to leave and not take some of England's debt with them, the country would be screwed.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It's simple. Prior to the rise of the SNP as a force to be reckoned with, Labour relied upon Scottish Labour MPs to get their majority.
The Conservatives are not interested in Scotland for the MPs, but for the income tax, north sea oil and the fact that if Scotland were to leave and not take some of England's debt with them, the country would be screwed.

Income tax?, isn’t Scotland one of, if not the, most sparsely parts of UK?

multitool

Shaman
But there's never been a coherent explanation of why, if Scotland is a pauper nation of politically inept, grudge-bearing subsidy junkies, why Westminster governments of whatever hue are quite so cravenly desperate to hang on to us. Has there?

The same could be said of Northern Ireland, and indeed when Eire transformed itself into a bit of a powerhouse I certainly heard some of its inhabitants espousing the view that Eire really didn't want to take on the basket case that is NI, given that it consists of poorly educated people living in a deindustrialised area with little investment.

D

Deleted member 121

I certainly heard some of its inhabitants espousing the view that Eire really didn't want to take on the basket case that is NI, given that it consists of poorly educated people living in a deindustrialised area with little investment.

I heard different. I heard is because there was no police force in entire of Ireland that can cope with the shear aggression of Jim MacDonald.

icowden

Legendary Member
Income tax?, isn’t Scotland one of, if not the, most sparsely parts of UK?
It's quite big though. 5.4 million people there.

In 2020-21, Scotland (including a geographical share of North Sea revenue) raised £62.8 billion in 2020-21, compared to £99.2 billion of public spending for Scotland.

D

Deleted member 49

The same could be said of Northern Ireland, and indeed when Eire transformed itself into a bit of a powerhouse I certainly heard some of its inhabitants espousing the view that Eire really didn't want to take on the basket case that is NI, given that it consists of poorly educated people living in a deindustrialised area with little investment.
No wonder Sinn Fein have become so popular to both the North and South.
I heard different. I heard is because there was no police force in entire of Ireland that can cope with the shear aggression of Jim MacDonald.
That well known Loyalist paramilitary Jim Mcdonald ?

D

Deleted member 121

That well known Loyalist paramilitary Jim Mcdonald ?

Nah, Just the well known wife beater Jim McDonald.

3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FgTt4AEpIlZs%2Fhqdefault.jpg

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed

I don't have all the stats to hand but this is seldom, if ever true. Westminster governments, regardless of rosette colour, historically aren't dependent on Scottish seats. We only got the governments we voted for on the infrequent occasions England could scrape together enough human decency to vote Labour.

And whatever your entirely objective and balanced and utterly agenda-free news media sources might tell you, that is spectacularly unlikely to happen again in the forseeable future.

multitool

Shaman
She's at the National Conservative Conference, which is as hard-right, culture warry as it gets.

They are all there, all the biggest prïcks in the Tory party who think that this sort of stuff will appeal to the electorate.

D

Deleted member 49

She's at the National Conservative Conference, which is as hard-right, culture warry as it gets.

They are all there, all the biggest prïcks in the Tory party who think that this sort of stuff will appeal to the electorate.
All the more reason to let them own it and for Labour to concentrate on things people actually give a feck about.

multitool

Shaman
All the more reason to let them own it and for Labour to concentrate on things people actually give a feck about.

I agree. I don't think Labour should go anywhere near it for the precise reason that it gives people like Braverman and 30p their ammo.

I think it's not necessarily that easy to avoid it though, when facing interviews if for example the trans stuff is presented as standing up for women's rights it cannot just be dismissed out of hand, it has to have some sort of answer.

But this conference is about politicians trying to build a career on populism. My own view is that it is a dead duck. Braverman is, I suspect, living on borrowed time. Her job security rests entirely on whether Sunak needs the hard righto the party or not. Currently, these people are claiming to be putting letters in to Brady to force a vote of no confidence. I call bullshìt on that one.

Top Bottom