The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
If you thought the Tories were bad, it looks like Reclaim will become the new 'scam party'.

Anti vaccine, anti bicycles and, according to fellow 'scam artist' the Torygraph, 'anti woke'.
They have their first MP, Andrew Bridgen And are to be the voice of the downtrodden, ensuring they stay thus.

To be adopted by fellow downtroddeners, the Telegraph?

Salty seadog

I think Starmer has ruled out PR. Silly really, especially as he has also said he'd let the Scots have another leave referendum. If they leave and we have FPTP you won't see Labour government for a long time.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Shaman
I suspect the Tories are now so desperate that we are going to see overt lies in the hope that some don't fact check. Andrew Neill was also promoting this fib.

albion

Guru
"If Labour wins they will reduce the voting age, abolish voter ID, and introduce Proportional Representation making it impossible for the Conservative party to win an outright majority in the future"

We wish. Sadly, it is in Labours interests to keep Britain sick via the 2 party system.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
I think Starmer has ruled out PR. Silly really, especially as he has also said he'd let the Scots have another leave referendum. If they leave and we have FPTP you won't see Labour government for a long time.

This again. Historically, Scottish votes do not tend to have any effect on Westminster governments. Also Starmer has said in no uncertain terms that he will never do any sort of electoral deal with the SNP, and that there will be no second independence referendum under any circumstances. Remember Labour front-bencher Lisa Nandy has stated that she 'hates' the SNP (Scotland's legitimately elected government) and that they & independence campaigners should be 'dealt with' in the same way they were in Catalonia.

Labour doesn't give a fück how Scotland votes, their only interest is keeping a boot firmly on its neck.

multitool

Shaman
Labour doesn't give a fück how Scotland votes, their only interest is keeping a boot firmly on its neck.

Genuine question: what, in your view does England gain from Scotland being part of the Union beyond the break up signalling some sort of decline?

I view Labour's attitude to Scots Ind as analogous to attitudes to Irish unification pre GFA. I think they just can't say the currently unsayable.

albion

Guru
Fact is, PR is the only thing that would keep the union. There comes a point when the whole of Scotland will say FU.

Reactions: C R

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Genuine question: what, in your view does England gain from Scotland being part of the Union beyond the break up signalling some sort of decline?

I view Labour's attitude to Scots Ind as analogous to attitudes to Irish unification pre GFA. I think they just can't say the currently unsayable.

This article is worth reading:

https://www.livebreathescotland.com/would-england-be-richer-without-scotland/

Obviously it's written from a pro-independence perspective, and it's your prerogative to dimiss it as propaganda based on selective and massaged interpretations of statistics and facts, if you so choose. I am not an economist (borderline functionally innumerate is probably fair!) so that may be the case.

But there's never been a coherent explanation of why, if Scotland is a pauper nation of politically inept, grudge-bearing subsidy junkies, why Westminster governments of whatever hue are quite so cravenly desperate to hang on to us. Has there?

Top Bottom