The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Love or loathe GB and Alistair Darling, in 2010, when they left office, debt was 600bn (just after having to reward banks for their corruption) and GDP grew at 2.2%

Debt is now 2.2tn and growth has been all but non-existent since then. Austerity was supposed to pay down debt and I'm astonished that nobody asks where the money is?

It's on a magic money tree or something I believe?

albion

Guru
And the London stock market is being massively out performed by New York.
The country seems to be stagnant at the moment.

Brexit likely killed the LSE. UK is the gateway to nowhere.

bobzmyunkle

This bloke doesn't do social media
IMG_20240321_130927.jpg

ebikeerwidnes

Your fiend - sorry friend - and mine - Suella Bravermann has warned SUnak that he is heading for a defeat at the next election and need to change course

or - so summarise
a) they are going to loose - and in further news the it'll be dark tonight
b) He should get out of the way and let me take over - preferably after the election so I can;t be blamed

or maybe I'm being cynical

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Your fiend - sorry friend - and mine - Suella Bravermann has warned SUnak that he is heading for a defeat at the next election and need to change course

or - so summarise
a) they are going to loose - and in further news the it'll be dark tonight
b) He should get out of the way and let me take over - preferably after the election so I can;t be blamed

or maybe I'm being cynical

Whatever her faults, you cannot but be impressed by her perceptive abilities ;)

monkers

Guru
https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/how-mp-vote-smoking-ban-rishi-sunak-3010449

Most of the usual suspects voted to let the youngsters start smoking. They ain't really 'popular', it being, as we know, mainly a pretence.

Not true.

This vote was only at the second reading in the Commons.

At this stage, after the second reading, the Bill must undo the committee stage and the report stage.

The Bill does not become law until voting following the third reading in both houses, further consideration of amendments and Royal Assent.

The Bill has not had its first reading in the Lords as yet.

MPs who think that they should keep the Bill alive until it has been debated more thoroughly may vote to support it. They may wish just to support it until they've decided that they don't.

After the third reading it is then entirely proper then to be critical of voting records.

To read the media you'd think that this is a done deed, that smoking is banned. It isn't (yet).

You can follow the progress of the Bill by following this link ...

https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3703

albion

Guru
Probably is a done deal. Flushes out the usual suspects too.

icowden

Legendary Member
Probably is a done deal. Flushes out the usual suspects too.

Have you seen the progress of the Rwanda bill? Definitely not a done deal.
It's probably completely irrelevant though unless it prohibits the same kids from using Vapes. Cigarettes are very last year...

ebikeerwidnes

Latest dog whistle policy from our wonderful government

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68853166

seems to make some sense at the start - allow people who can do some work to get back to work and do what they can

but then we get the "take the responsibility away from the GP" bit
and make it the responsibility of a whole group of new "professionals" (probably meaning "have been on a course")
so - how does this sick person get to see this new group of people
and who do they work for - occy health possibly
and who pays them

sounds like a dog whistle policy pandering to the "get rid of the sick note culture - I never had a day off ill" section of the Tory party faithful and that lot

plus a useful Dead Cat to lob on the table to distract from polling figures and inconvenient revalations about yet another Tory MP who was "totally accidentally" using the wrong funds to pay for stuff he (funny it is always a He???) should have paid for him self - or not paid for at all!!

anyway - LOOK EVERYONE!!!!!

icowden

Legendary Member
sounds like a dog whistle policy pandering to the "get rid of the sick note culture - I never had a day off ill" section of the Tory party faithful and that lot
Yep. He also started essentially calling anyone with a disability lazy again. "we will tighten up the pip".

How about changing it, so that if you have a disability that isn't going to get better, you don't need to keep being re-evaluated.

Beebo

Veteran
The fact that the number of people on sick benefits keeps rising is a huge concern.
But there needs to be some evaluation of cause and effect.
Why are people off work with stress? I suspect just telling them to man up isn’t really the solution.

Mr Celine

The fact that the number of people on sick benefits keeps rising is a huge concern.
But there needs to be some evaluation of cause and effect.
Why are people off work with stress? I suspect just telling them to man up isn’t really the solution.

Last month I saw a play called Don't. Make. Tea.
It's a comedy about what happens during a future version of a work capability assessment.
Unfortunately it seems a tory went to see it and thinks a tougher assessment is a good idea. They must have left before the end of the first act, when the assessor is beaten to death with a pair of crutches.

Top Bottom