The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
It may well have done, but it became apparent that it couldn't be ignored.

D

Deleted member 121

They were also in a hung parliament with Conservative voters bleeding to UKIP. The Brexit vote may have been advisory but to the Tories it was manditory. We are seeing a not too dissimilar situation now. The cons have lurched further to the right as it bleeds much needed support to Dick Tice and co. Political survival trumps the needs and morality of the country...

multitool

Shaman
Only because they cowered from unelected political agitators and other assorted gobshites - hardly a basis for functioning democracy or nation building.

They said, prior to the referendum, that they would implement the result of the referendum.

There may not have been a legal obligation, but there was a moral one.

monkers

Guru
They were also in a hung parliament with Conservative voters bleeding to UKIP. The Brexit vote may have been advisory but to the Tories it was manditory. We are seeing a not too dissimilar situation now. The cons have lurched further to the right as it bleeds much needed support to Dick Tice and co. Political survival trumps the needs and morality of the country...

They said, prior to the referendum, that they would implement the result of the referendum.

There may not have been a legal obligation, but there was a moral one.

It was unlawful on a number of levels.

1 The referendum was pre-legislative. ie the electorate were not invited to vote on a piece of available legislation. This type are always advisory. Cameron needed permission from parliament to offer such a referendum - he didn't have. In this way he broke international law under the Venice Convention.

2 Cameron campaigned in the general election following this unlawful promise using false manifesto.

3 The leaflet sent to each household made no mention of
i) The Customs union
ii) The border arrangement on the island of Island
iii) The Belfast Agreement held under the ECtHR and the Vienna Convention at the United Nations
iv Disrespecting the sovereignty of the Republic of Ireland and its people who held a referendum to accept the Belfast Agreement
v) Breaching the terms of the British Irish Agreement assuring to remain partners with the Republic of Ireland within the EU.

Theresa May ignored the advice of her own Attorney General (Geoffery Cox) who told her that Brexit was unlawful.
Geoffery Cox informed the Commons that the referendum was advisory on parliament and not binding on government.
May attempted to circumvent parliament. The intrepid Gina Miller stopped her.
Retrospective legislation that was used to trigger Article 50 - unlawful again.

Johnson unlawfully prorogued parliament - Miller stepped in again.

On top of which parliamentary procedures were broken willy-nilly.

There was evidence of corruption - political parties were fined.
Cambridge Analytica
Interference from foreign states including the USA and Russia.

The country has been left in tatters economically and socially.

I'd like to hear about this moral case if you can spare the time please.

Beebo

Veteran
Look at this!

https://x.com/PippaCrerar/status/1764351091452325939?s=20

Jeremy Cûnt's ministerial salary is £155k. So he is spending 65% of this years salary to try and retain his seat, with no guarantee of doing so.

It takes about 5 seconds to work out why.

EDIT: It transpires the £100k is over the past 5 years. Makes no difference to overall point

He’s very rich.
He sold his business for £15mill a few years ago.

Reactions: C R

the snail

Can you point to a time when an election was cancelled in any major democracy?

It's not going to happen, CR. This is the United Kingdom.

If the government tried to cancel an election the people would get so angry they might almost say something.

1940 in the UK?

C R

Über Member
Well at least that was a cross party grand coalition, with large public support. I don't think that shït is going to fly today.

Considering Starmer's response to Sunak's blathering, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

D

Deleted member 121

Considering Starmer's response to Sunak's blathering, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

Don't you worry CR. If that happens and once I've had my operation and recovered I'll be on the front lines with my slightly wonky green beret and ak47 to power the revolution to victory.

• Love

tarric

I hope you are right.
They don't really have the choice.
Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act 2022
Automatic dissolution of Parliament after five years
If it has not been dissolved earlier, a Parliament dissolves at the beginning of the day that is the fifth anniversary of the day on which it first met.
When Parliament is dissolved, every seat in the House of Commons becomes vacant. All business in the House comes to an end. MPs stop representing their constituencies. There will be no MPs until after the general election.

monkers

Guru
They don't really have the choice.
Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act 2022
Automatic dissolution of Parliament after five years
If it has not been dissolved earlier, a Parliament dissolves at the beginning of the day that is the fifth anniversary of the day on which it first met.
When Parliament is dissolved, every seat in the House of Commons becomes vacant. All business in the House comes to an end. MPs stop representing their constituencies. There will be no MPs until after the general election.

I wouldn't put it past this rabid infestation of a government to start a war in order to carry on using emergency powers.

I didn't watch/listen to his speech, he seldom seems effective at delivering a coherent message. However, what I think was meant to be his meaning, ie polarisation based on race or religion seldom produces a good outcome, is something I would agree with.

Seemed like gaslighting to me.....

Top Bottom