The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Every football supporter understands the reference.

Only when you add your own spin on the wording

Is every time someone uses the number 97 anywhere and in any context a beyond all reasonable doubt reference to Hillsborough? Perhaps we need to retire the number 97 from the counting system if so

matticus

Guru
Is every time someone uses the number 97 anywhere and in any context a beyond all reasonable doubt reference to Hillsborough?

No.

But this one is.

spen666

No.

But this one is.

So what EVIDENCE is there to link the use of the number 97 beyond all reasonable doubt to Hillsborough?
You may have your own prejudice ( I do), assumptions etc, speculation etc, but at present on what has been disclosed there is no evidence to link the shirt to Hillsborough.
Whether he meant it as a sick taunt about Hillsborough or not, the evidence is not there at presently disclosed to link it. It makes no reference to Hillsborough, it is not displayed at a game where Liverpool fans were etc.

Evidence at present is lacking

D

Deleted member 49

So what EVIDENCE is there to link the use of the number 97 beyond all reasonable doubt to Hillsborough?
You may have your own prejudice ( I do), assumptions etc, speculation etc, but at present on what has been disclosed there is no evidence to link the shirt to Hillsborough.
Whether he meant it as a sick taunt about Hillsborough or not, the evidence is not there at presently disclosed to link it. It makes no reference to Hillsborough, it is not displayed at a game where Liverpool fans were etc.

Evidence at present is lacking
Why do you not also mention "not enough" that is also printed on the shirt ?

D

Deleted member 121

Why do you not also mention "not enough" that is also printed on the shirt ?

Come on now, lets stop being silly.... When has 97 been enough of anything? Give me a 98 any day. Heck, the ice cream man does a 99 and that is even better!

D

Deleted member 121

Perhaps worth mentioning whether we want to remain wilfully obtuse or not, both clubs (Liverpool and ManU) and others have history in taunting each others past tragedies, so much so that the Premier League are actively working on trying to eliminate it, setting up a working group involving the FA, Supporters Association, Police and the CPS. Perhaps he does mean 97 smarties just isn't enough, perhaps he mean's 97 dalmatians? Who the fück knows, but given the history of this sort of thing and the now proactive approach my the league to eliminate it, it would be at the very least unwise to even insinuate a mocking of their respective disasters with such gestures. Or perhaps some are just happy to bury their heads in the sand like an ostrich?

Mr Celine

I wonder whether the use of 666 in a member's name could be separated from its Old Testament connotations....

New Testament. I don't the member you're referring to is that old.

spen666

I wonder whether the use of 666 in a member's name could be separated from its Old Testament connotations....

A perfect example.

You have assumed it is a religious reference in my user name.

In actual fact, it is nothing of the sort and is nothing more than a coincidence

D

Deleted member 121

A perfect example.

In actual fact, it is nothing of the sort and is nothing more than a coincidence

tenor.gif

You have assumed @deptfordmarmoset is referring to you.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
A perfect example.

And you are assuming the numbers are under your control, whereas in fact you have no power whatsoever over the numbers' significance for other people. 666 is well established as a linguistic meme just as 97 is in a footballing milieu.

spen666

And you are assuming the numbers are under your control, whereas in fact you have no power whatsoever over the numbers' significance for other people. 666 is well established as a linguistic meme just as 97 is in a footballing milieu.

I am afraid, I have no idea what the point you are trying to make here is

I am not assuming any numbers are under my control. I have no control over the numbering system.
The fact that person A is offended at the use of a particular number because they cast meaning on it does not mean the person displaying that number is committing a crime.

The mere use of a number is not a crime. A number can have a significance for one person that is different from the significance for another person.
The issue here is whether a criminal offence has been committed and on the evidence available publicly so far, there is nothing to make out the offence

D

Deleted member 49

because I am lazy and it was less words to type

same thing applies where is the evidence to link those words and Hillsborough
Nah...you chose to leave those words out.
You'd near enough have to have been living under a rock to not get the connection.I reckon there's hardly a football fan or person that only has a slight interest in football that doesn't know what that shirt meant.

Top Bottom