The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
It's three words, I'm not really sure what I've missed?

Reports. Not league(s).:smile: [Other parts of the UK have reporters, not just England :smile: ]

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
OK, good - we got there in the end! :P

I am sceptical that no other parts of the Union make such comments - hence my post.

Got where? To use Scotland as an example, if it's not the Rangers or Celtic, the media is barely interested. I suppose that now our national side are actually decent they get a bit of a look in.

spen666

But as those subjective judgements accumulate, you can on balance of probabilities label something as the best.
  • 5 out of the top 10 clubs with the most fans are in the EPL*
  • 6 of the top 10 clubs with the most money are in the EPL*
  • 5 out of the top 10 clubs who are watched most around the world are in the EPL*
That's a pretty strong argument for "best" and I don't even watch football.

Another way of looking at it is to ask someone like me how many teams they can name in the major leagues. I can name quite a few in the EPL, two in La Liga and one in the Bundesliga. I suspect that this would be repeatable in many countries around the world.

*Although this is only 50% or 40% the remaining teams are split between La Liga, Bundesliga and the Brazilian league.
Person in England knows more English teams than foreign teams is one of your metrics?

Having the most money does not make the Premier League the best league. That nakes them the richest

Ditto for most watched
Ditto for most fans.

Sheff Wed took 50,000 to Wembley for play off and have an average home attendance higher than Bournemouth and Brentford & even Luton. It doesn't make them better than those teams. Indeed Bradfird in L2 have a higher average crowd than Bournemouth, Brentford & Luton.

My club Newcastle United have one of highest average crowds in England over last 68 years, but have not won a single domestic trophy in that time. Hardly makes them one of best clubs

You may think those nettics prove which keague is better, but that is your subjective view.

Please point me to a universally agreed objective set of metrics for determining the best league?

The fact that there is not such a thing is because such judgements are subjective and not objective.

So as I say what is the best league is a subjective not objective claim.

Spanish sides have won 6 of the last 10 Champios League Finals, compared to 3 English sides

Spanish sides have won 7 of last 10 UEFA/ Europe League Finals. English clubs have won2

The head to head in terms of success seems to show different to your chosen metrics

I'm not sure what is controversial in saying a subjective choice is subjective

If you believe League A is the best, then great. That is your subjective view and no one can disprove your subjective view. Similarly you can't disprove someone else's subjective choice.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Purely taking the European Cup example, 6 different English sides have won it, which is a record, compared to 2 Spanish and that's with a 5 year ban from European competition.

There's nothing subjective about that.

spen666

Purely taking the European Cup example, 6 different English sides have won it, which is a record, compared to 2 Spanish and that's with a 5 year ban from European competition.

There's nothing subjective about that.

What is subjective is importance you place on that metric compared to the fact Spanish clubs win it far more often than English clubs.

People are making subjective assessments of which metrics they think are more important

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What is subjective is importance you place on that metric compared to the fact Spanish clubs win it far more often than English clubs.

People are making subjective assessments of which metrics they think are more important

Well, yeah, I guess if you want to be pedantic about it, but a wider selection of clubs from England have won the European Cup, objectively that is true.

So yes, I'd say that the EPL is stronger based on that alone.

Out of interest, how would you judge the strength of a league?

spen666

Well, yeah, I guess if you want to be pedantic about it, but a wider selection of clubs from England have won the European Cup, objectively that is true.

So yes, I'd say that the EPL is stronger based on that alone.

Out of interest, how would you judge the strength of a league?

Its not being pedantic at all. There is a huge difference being objective and subjective

You subjectively put the number of clubs winning above the number of wins. Others would put the number of wins as the key metric

i personally do not compare one country's top league with another. They are all different

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Thanks, I'm aware of the difference... My point, again, is that England has produced more European Cup winners than any other country. That doesn't diminish Real's impressive record, but two winners from a country is objectively not as good as six.

I don't see how you can't to be honest. Obviously I have no stats to back it up, but I reckon that most football fans compare the league their team is in to their equivalents.

spen666

Thanks, I'm aware of the difference... My point, again, is that England has produced more European Cup winners than any other country. That doesn't diminish Real's impressive record, but two winners from a country is objectively not as good as six.

I don't see how you can't to be honest. Obviously I have no stats to back it up, but I reckon that most football fans compare the league their team is in to their equivalents.

no, that is a subjective judgement especially when comparing leagues

matticus

Guru
no, that is a subjective judgement especially when comparing leagues

This is all very reminiscent of the other pointless protracted discussion we had with spen666, earlier on this thread:
[
Everyone: the "97" shirt guy is clearly a dick and guilty as hell
Spen: ahhh ... but it will be almost impossible to prove that!
] ... repeat x N ... until ...

Judge: yup, he's clearly guilty. And a dick.

This is all very reminiscent of the other pointless protracted discussion we had with spen666, earlier on this thread:
[
Everyone: the "97" shirt guy is clearly a dick and guilty as hell
Spen: ahhh ... but it will be almost impossible to prove that!
] ... repeat x N ... until ...

Judge: yup, he's clearly guilty. And a dick.

And just to rub it in, he admitted his own guilt.

Top Bottom