The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
He pleaded guilty.
So his defence didn’t get heard.
I presume his lawyer told him not to bother.

Exactly. Any lawyer trying to create any sort of credible defense for that shirt wants to give their head a wobble.

spen666

Exactly. Any lawyer trying to create any sort of credible defense for that shirt wants to give their head a wobble.

There in a nutshell is proof of your misunderstanding of how the law works.

No lawyer "creates" a defence. It is for the prosecution to prove all essential elements of the offence. A defence lawyer is merely trying to show the prosecution have not proved all essential elements of the offence

matticus

Guru
"
District judge Mark Jabbitt said: “It is hard to imagine a more … offensive reference to the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.”

The judge added that the shirt White wore bore a “hateful expression” – calling it an “abhorrent message” – and that the impact of his actions are “profound and distressing”.
"
And added: "what a massive tw@t" off-mike.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
There in a nutshell is proof of your misunderstanding of how the law works.

No lawyer "creates" a defence. It is for the prosecution to prove all essential elements of the offence. A defence lawyer is merely trying to show the prosecution have not proved all essential elements of the offence

Thank you for the 'splain. I really had no idea about that. And in any case it's not what I actually said, but hey ho, you do you babes.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It seems like the Saudi league is the go to for players wanting a massive payday towards the end of their career. I can understand players like Kante, Ronaldo and Benzema heading there, but Nevez is in his prime so that one's a bit strange.

I do find it funny though, when English reports are quick to criticise the amount of money being paid for players there, yet the obscene sums for players in the top flight here seem to just be accepted.

D

Deleted member 49

It seems like the Saudi league is the go to for players wanting a massive payday towards the end of their career. I can understand players like Kante, Ronaldo and Benzema heading there, but Nevez is in his prime so that one's a bit strange.

I do find it funny though, when English reports are quick to criticise the amount of money being paid for players there, yet the obscene sums for players in the top flight here seem to just be accepted.

I’ve got a dodgy shoulder but still reckon I could do 30 or so mins a game in the Saudi league

Let the bidding commence ?

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
English or British?!?

English. The Premier League is the best in the world...

That said, the Saudi league is actually older than it. It'll be interesting to see where it goes, China experimented throwing money at players and coaches and it never really went anywhere. The USA have been marginally more successful in that respect, but not by much.

spen666

English. The Premier League is the best in the world...

That said, the Saudi league is actually older than it. It'll be interesting to see where it goes, China experimented throwing money at players and coaches and it never really went anywhere. The USA have been marginally more successful in that respect, but not by much.
A claim often made, but as there is no single agreed objective definition of what makes something the best league in the world, it is a meaningless subjective claim

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
A claim often made, but as there is no single agreed objective definition of what makes something the best league in the world, it is a meaningless subjective claim

I was being facetious...

That said, it would be pretty easy to make a case for the EPL being the best in the world.

spen666

I was being facetious...

That said, it would be pretty easy to make a case for the EPL being the best in the world.

only on a subjective basis.
What one person thinks mates it the best others would disagree with.
It may for example be most profitable - that to others doesn't make it the best

icowden

Legendary Member
But as those subjective judgements accumulate, you can on balance of probabilities label something as the best.
  • 5 out of the top 10 clubs with the most fans are in the EPL*
  • 6 of the top 10 clubs with the most money are in the EPL*
  • 5 out of the top 10 clubs who are watched most around the world are in the EPL*
That's a pretty strong argument for "best" and I don't even watch football.

Another way of looking at it is to ask someone like me how many teams they can name in the major leagues. I can name quite a few in the EPL, two in La Liga and one in the Bundesliga. I suspect that this would be repeatable in many countries around the world.

*Although this is only 50% or 40% the remaining teams are split between La Liga, Bundesliga and the Brazilian league.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth

F*ck it, I'll humour you. How is it not? It's more competitive than La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and any other league you'd care to mention.

Pretty much all the big clubs have waiting lists for season tickets, the infrastructure around the top flight and the investment in local communities is huge. English clubs are routinely in the latter stages of European competition.

I don't even follow a top flight English club, beyond an interest in Newcastle, and I don't much care for the EPL, but it's pretty obvious that it's objectively the best by any metric.

Would it be if it wasn't fuelled by TV money? Probably not, but while it is you really can't come up with a credible alternative.

Top Bottom