The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I shall never tire of remembering this match.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_buHZFEP7w

I remember watching that! Celtic thought they were cruising with a 2 - 0 advantage and got absolutely torn apart. Glorious.

Ricky van Wolfswinkel must be one of the best names for a footballer ever. Hadn't realised he was still going, and banging them in by the looks of things. I saw him playing for Norwich once, and you could see he was on a different level to his team-mates which is probably why it never really worked for him over here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Starmer calls for change! About an interpretation of the St. George's Cross on the England football kit...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68632034

Personally I don't see the issue. Plenty of countries don't even bother with the flag on their kits, instead using them to interpret their national colours and symbols. Croatia, perennial favourites of mine (both on the pitch and in kit design terms), are particularly good at this.

I agree about the price though.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
As far as I can see, Nike created the issue by calling it a "playful update on the flag of St George". Might have been better to say it was inspired by given that it has really sod all to do with the flag of St George. It's just a bevelled multicoloured cross.

The price is absurd.

Yeah, I think 'inspired by' would have been better too. It's only a matter of time before the colours are picked up on as being the same used in the Bi Pride flag, which will be fun!

The thing I don't get (which seems to be a relatively new thing) is the "authentic" and "stadium" versions of the kits. Are the "authentic" ones made with more special sweat from the production factories or something?

Either way, absolutely ridiculous, especially in a world where knock-offs are readily available and often indistinguishable unless you're some kind of clothing expert.

icowden

Legendary Member
The thing I don't get (which seems to be a relatively new thing) is the "authentic" and "stadium" versions of the kits. Are the "authentic" ones made with more special sweat from the production factories or something?
Apparently the "authentic" ones are made with the same high tech fabric as wot the players wear, so they are suitable to wear for sport, whereas the "stadium" edition is made to look like the player shirt but uses cheaper fabric as it's just a comfortable display version of the shirt.

Although when you look at the Nike website...

The authentic has:
  • Nike Dri_fit ADV Technology combining moisture wicking fabric with advanced engineering and features to help you stay dry and comfortable
  • 100% polyester
  • Machine wash
Whereas the stadium is much simpler, only having:-
  • Nike Dri_fit ADV Technology moves sweat away from your skin for quicker evaporation helping you stay dry and comfortable
  • 100% polyester
  • Machine wash
I looked further, and it seems a bit more complicated. So the authentic has more tiny holes and has a sleeker design for field play. The replica or stadium version is a relaxed fit with fewer holes. The authentic badges are heat transfer whilst the stadium are embroidered.

So essentially you pay less for more fabric and better badges! Perfectly logical!!

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Haha, it's pissed off Lee Anderson, which is good enough for me...

"The left have a nerve to ask me why I want my country back. This virtue signalling, namby-pamby, pearl-clutching woke nonsense must stop. Any more of this and I'll be on the first flight to Rwanda."

I'd actually consider buying one and having that printed on the back.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Apparently the "authentic" ones are made with the same high tech fabric as wot the players wear, so they are suitable to wear for sport, whereas the "stadium" edition is made to look like the player shirt but uses cheaper fabric as it's just a comfortable display version of the shirt.

Although when you look at the Nike website...

The authentic has:
  • Nike Dri_fit ADV Technology combining moisture wicking fabric with advanced engineering and features to help you stay dry and comfortable
  • 100% polyester
  • Machine wash
Whereas the stadium is much simpler, only having:-
  • Nike Dri_fit ADV Technology moves sweat away from your skin for quicker evaporation helping you stay dry and comfortable
  • 100% polyester
  • Machine wash
I looked further, and it seems a bit more complicated. So the authentic has more tiny holes and has a sleeker design for field play. The replica or stadium version is a relaxed fit with fewer holes. The authentic badges are heat transfer whilst the stadium are embroidered.

So essentially you pay less for more fabric and better badges! Perfectly logical!!

Yeah, I've read similar bollocks to that too.

I've been involved in kit design (nowt special, just a couple of designs for Killie tops) and have samples of different fabrics from Puma and Hummell. The difference in weight and breathability is negligible to be honest, although the badges being laminated does make a difference in terms of chafing.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
For balance, here is the Scotland top, which also features a modified flag using the wrong colours...

jd_702655_c.jpg

I quite like the modern take on tartan that we've gone for. I'm hoping it looks as subtle in reality.

It's 'only' £75 too.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Sunak has had his say...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68632034

I particularly like the social media comments towards the end of the article, particularly this one:

Taxi driver Joe in Stirling said he had "steam" coming out of his ears: "People died for that flag thousands of years ago".

Who clearly loves England so much that he's chosen to live in Scotland. Or at least taken one helluva fare to get up there.

Top Bottom