The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Presumably an invented all powerful creator, but which one? I guess the white Protestant version?

From what? Death, disease, or getting caught being unspeakable? Can the god being addressed really be persuaded to change their divine plan based on such an entreaty? Anyway, isn’t the best healthcare available at any price - plus homeopathy! - enough?

Definite article. Just this king but none of the foreign ones? Do we have to pretend, with the usual exceptionalism, that yours is the only one worth the prayer?

An absurd concept made even less palatable by looking at the damaged individuals born and raised into the role. Set them free before you condemn future generations to the same fate.

multitool

Judging by the amount of people turning out for Royal events quite a few.

Read her question.

She said "how".

This might actually be a worthy sentiment that I can get behind. Of course, I'd have to be convinced it was written in good faith first ...

That’s a judgement you must make. I can do no more than point out that it’s not the first time I’ve said it on this and predecessor forums.

Imagine the fruit of your own loins, if you have them, being so restricted in their life chances, not just by you as a parent, but by the weight of a whole country’s expectations and the intrusions of the world’s media. If you wouldn’t subject your own children to that then why do the same to others?

multitool

The same could be said for some people involved in the pride parade, how the f*ck can you take anyone seriously dressed like that?

I'm guessing some do though?

Sure, but what has that got to do with the Monarchy? I'd add that a Pride festival doesn't affect you in any way, unless of course you are a bigoted homophobe and the mere existence of it has you seething. Unlike the Monarchy, of course, who are baked into system of governance, but also hierarchical social structures.

Want to have a crack at answering Claud's question?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

Sure, but what has that got to do with the Monarchy? I'd add that a Pride festival doesn't affect you in any way, unless of course you are a bigoted homophobe and the mere existence of it has you seething. Unlike the Monarchy, of course, who are baked into system of governance, but also hierarchical social structures.

Want to have a crack at answering Claud's question?

Which question, the taking seriously thing?

People like pomp and nonsense I presume, throw in a bit of old fashion tradition and there you have it.

I suppose people take that freak izzard seriously as well?

matticus

Guru
That’s a judgement you must make. I can do no more than point out that it’s not the first time I’ve said it on this and predecessor forums.

Imagine the fruit of your own loins, if you have them, being so restricted in their life chances, not just by you as a parent, but by the weight of a whole country’s expectations and the intrusions of the world’s media. If you wouldn’t subject your own children to that then why do the same to others?

Part of the answer to that (and do you see how I'm answering your question? Aren't I a good little NACA subject??); I am NOT their parent, have you asked their parents?

Pale Rider

Veteran
how does anyone take this shit seriously?

You are making the mistake of believing that because someone is not vehemently against something they must be equally strongly for it.

Not the case at all.

I reckon the majority of the country don't think about the monarchy from one day to the next, and certainly don't take the Royal family especially seriously.

But they do like the events when they hove into view, and are generally content with the monarchy as it is.

Top Bottom