The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
As justifiably requested by @mudsticks , here’s a thread to discuss the UK’s asylum system, leaving the Good News thread to avoid further pollution.

I’ve quoted a few of the most recent relevant posts so we can carry on from where we left off. If I refer to a post I’ve made previously in that other thread, I’ll make sure I quote it here too.

I'm awaiting the defensive posts ,'oh they're poor helpless people fleeing oppression'.

When in reality almost all of them are illegal economic immigrants

This is a lie and you know it’s a lie. Why do you keep repeating it? Are you thick, nasty, or something else?

Even the ‘hostile environment’ Home Office grants asylum to three quarters of the claimants it bothers to process, even before appeals.

No its the truth, only the best are cherry picked for tribunal, hence the high success rate in % terms.

However there are hundreds of thousands awaiting for cases to be decided. A small percentage of the whole group

At the end of December 2022, there were 132,182 cases (relating to 160,919 people) awaiting an initial decision. This is a much, much higher number than the number of asylum applications made in 2022, which suggests that it is the result of the backlog built up from prior years.

However, in 2022 there were 14,212 grants of refugee status, humanitarian protection or alternative forms of leave out of a total of 18,699 initial decisions. Can you work out the percentage of grants from that, Andy?

mudsticks

Squire
As justifiably requested by @mudsticks , here’s a thread to discuss the UK’s asylum system, leaving the Good News thread to avoid further pollution.

I’ve quoted a few of the most recent relevant posts so we can carry on from where we left off. If I refer to a post I’ve made previously in that other thread, I’ll make sure I quote it here too.

At the end of December 2022, there were 132,182 cases (relating to 160,919 people) awaiting an initial decision. This is a much, much higher number than the number of asylum applications made in 2022, which suggests that it is the result of the backlog built up from prior years.

However, in 2022 there were 14,212 grants of refugee status, humanitarian protection or alternative forms of leave out of a total of 18,699 initial decisions. Can you work out the percentage of grants from that, Andy?

Thanks for that, you forriner loving, virtue signalling, unidentifiable meat pie scented nobber..

...ooops wrong thread.

But still the sentiment stands :shy:

Right bit of tractorising now.
Must put my elf n safety cap on and concentrate :huh:

CXRAndy

Veteran

Now you quote 2022, before the illegal migration bill became law. All those from March 2023 will not be allowed to claim asylum if they arrive in boats or any other illegal methods. Shame really that the government didn't keep the retrospective clause in place.

There has been a shift in political stance and this will hopefully reduce and deter chancers.

post a link.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

No matter if you are for or against immigration/asylum, I fail to see how anyone can be happy with the failure to process arrivals promptly, and, take the appropriate action. The current situation can only be described as a farce.

There may be differing opinions on how and why this situation has developed, but, I would assume all sensible people would agree it needs to be sorted, and, there appears to be little sign of this happening.

Approx 75% per my 30 year old Casio.

It's been at that level for years. Was involved with the Tribunals professionally from 2002 to 2013. The success rate of appellants seems to have gone up markedly over the years. A lot of that was, at least historically, down to poor quality decision making at the Home Office. Indeed there was reported to be a mindset to decline complicated cases and 'let the Tribunal sort it out'.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Question 'how many asylum claims are successful uk'

90% of those who crossed the channel in the year to March 2023 claimed asylum in the UK, but only 504 (1%) people had received a decision by the end of March 2023. Of those who did receive a decision, 305 (61%) were grants of refugee status or other leave.

305 successful out of 504 decisions. There are literally hundreds of thousands waiting, the vast majority are not asylum worthy

Can’t you read your own numbers? 👆 You’ve shown that the success rate, so far, for asylum in the year ending March 2023 is 61%. Does 49% really constitute a vast majority in your eyes?

Now you quote 2022,

Yes, because that’s the timeframe you originally mentioned when you first misrepresented the true rate of asylum or other protection.

Remember when you said:
There was only 500 successful asylum claims last year. There are something like 50,000 arriving each year. A tiny percentage. 1%.

On current numbers around 160,000 backlog. So 0.3 %

The do gooder lawyers are only cherry picking the best chance claims, because most are economic illegal immigrants

Remember that?

Can’t you read your own numbers? 👆 You’ve shown that the success rate, so far, for asylum in the year ending March 2023 is 61%. Does 49% really constitute a vast majority in your eyes?

Yes, because that’s the timeframe you originally mentioned when you first misrepresented the true rate of asylum or other protection.

Remember when you said:

Remember that?

One of the funny things with trolls is that they can't keep track of their own 'opinions'.

CXRAndy

Veteran
It all depends where you pull the figures from, So I got these from .gov website

Oddly Albania now is the biggest illegal immigration population- which is a safe country. That makes them economic immigrants, illegally entering the UK

Of those small boat arrivals who have received an initial decision (7,805) since 2018:

• 53% (4,171) were granted refugee status or another type of leave since 2018

Accepted :okay:

From Sept 2022 things begin to change

31,891 applied for asylum
139 received initial decision
46 granted
57 refused
36 not considered third countries

Now there is the illegal immigration bill March 2023

Enjoy :biggrin:

In January to September 2022, half of small boat arrivals were from just these two nationalities - Albanians (35%) and Afghans (15%), as shown in Figure 4. In the latest quarter alone (July to September 2022), 45% of small boat arrivals were Albanian (9,076), and there were days where as many as 80% of arrivals were Albanian.

Figure 4 – Top nationalities arriving via small boats, as a percentage (%) of total small boat arrivals1,2, January 2018 to September 2022

4.png

Source: Irregular Migration to the UK data tables - Irr_02b

Notes:

1. The top nationalities are those with the highest number of small boat arrivals since January 2018.
  2. The chart does not include arrivals where information on nationality was not yet available in the dataset.
The number of Albanians arriving on small boats has increased substantially in 2022, particularly from May. Prior to this point, Albanians were not commonly detected on small boats. However, there were 11,241 Albanians recorded arriving on small boats between January and September 2022 (96% of whom arrived between May and September), compared with just 264 detected in the same period the previous year (January to September 2021).

The number of Afghans arriving on small boats has also increased since summer 2021. There were 4,781 arrivals between January and September 2022 (57% of whom arrived between July and September), compared to 1,437 Afghan arrivals in the whole of 2021, 494 in 2020, 69 in 2019 and 3 in 2018.

Figures in this section exclude those where the nationality and demographic data has not yet been added to the electronic record (labelled as ‘Not currently recorded’ in the data tables).

4. Asylum claims from small boat arrivals​

Note: data on small boat arrivals in the month of September 2022 are not included in the year ending September 2022 (1 Oct 2021 to 31 August 2022) figures below, as data on asylum claims from small boat arrivals are not yet available for this month due to a change in how cases are recorded.

The majority of small boat arrivals claim asylum. In the year ending September 2022 (1 Oct 2021 to 31 August 2022), 90% (31,891 of 35,345 arrivals) claimed asylum or were recorded as a dependant on an asylum application. Small boat arrivals account for 41% of the total number of people claiming asylum in the year ending September 2022.

Most asylum claims from small boat arrivals are still awaiting a decision; more recent periods will naturally have a higher proportion of asylum applications awaiting a decision, as less time has passed to allow for applications to be processed. 98% (28,529) of small boat asylum applications in the latest year, or 83% (43,476) of all small boat asylum applications since 2018, are awaiting a decision.

Table 1: Small boat arrivals applying for asylum and initial decision outcomes on their applications, 2018 – September 20221,2,3

Total to date (2018 to September 2022)Year ending September 2022Year ending September 2022 as a percentage of total to date
Small boat arrivals62,81435,34556%
Asylum applicants (people)57,70331,89155%
Of which, applications (main applicants only)52,29429,04956%
Applications awaiting a decision43,47628,52966%
Applications withdrawn1,01338138%
Applications which received an initial decision7,8051392%
of which:
granted refugee status or other leave4,171461%
refused646579%
not considered on third country grounds2,988361%
Notes:

1. Data exclude the month of September 2022 as it is not yet available due to a change in how cases are recorded.
  2. Applications awaiting a decision, withdrawn, and which received a decision are a count of applications, not people (i.e. exclude dependants).
  3. Applications granted includes grants of refugee status, humanitarian protection and other forms of leave.
Of those small boat arrivals who have received an initial decision (7,805) since 2018:

• 53% (4,171) were granted refugee status or another type of leave
  • 8% (646) were refused, for reasons such as their asylum claim being ‘clearly unfounded’, or the claimant not meeting the requirements for refugee status or other forms of leave
  • 38% (2,988) of applications were not considered on third country grounds – this means that the UK will not consider the asylum claim (and will instead seek the person’s removal to a safe third country), because the applicant was present or had a connection to a safe third country where they could reasonably have been expected to claim asylum before reaching the UK
Albania was the top small boat arriving nationality applying for asylum in the year ending September 2022, making up 24% of total small boat arrivals applying for asylum in that period. Of the 8,466 Albanian small boat arrivals in the year ending September 2022, 85% applied for asylum (7,219 people, relating to 6,624 applications). Of these applications, 152 were withdrawn (2%) and 50 have received an initial decision (<1%), with the following outcomes:

• 26% (13) were not considered on third country grounds
  • 74% (37) were refused for other reasons
  • None were granted refugee status or another type of leave

All uphill

I just want to say that, imo, this country needs more younger people to work and pay tax to support us old boomers contribute to the economy.

It makes no sense to me to have people here stuck in hotels at our cost who want to work and are able to.

Sure we have a dearth of low cost housing, but that challenge is soluble given the political will.

Ian H

Guru
A local paper states that asylum-seekers housed in a local hotel are being given food of such sub-standard quality that the kids are arriving at the nearby school hungry to the point of malnutrition. The school has decided to feed them itself.
Meanwhile the national press reports that the prison barge off Portland is said by the Fire Brigades' Union to be such a fire hazard that it's not safe to use.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Oddly Albania now is the biggest illegal immigration population- which is a safe country.

It’s not true to say that Albania is a ‘safe country’. If it were, immigration staff would not have granted protection to any Albanian men, women and children last year but they did.

From the same source as you are using:
For example, for Albanians the overall grant rate in the year ending June 2022 was 53%, but for Albanian adult men the grant rate was 14% and for Albanian women and children it was 90%.

That makes them economic immigrants, illegally entering the UK

See above.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Of course it's safe, you can go on holiday there.

Anyone who enters the UK without papers and not through proper channels is classed illegal immigrant. They have no right to claim asylum at anytime

Illegal immigrant bill

Top Bottom