The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
Not really. I drove through the existing check on the Austria Germany border earlier this year. One bored polizei leaning on his car watching everyone drive past at normal speed.

Last time I drove to France (2022) the checks on the Belgian border were far more extensive. Two bored gendarmes and all traffic had to slow to a crawl.

Also, it’s only checkpoints on main routes.
It isn’t hard to find a quiet country lane to cross over if you really want to.

Not really. I drove through the existing check on the Austria Germany border earlier this year. One bored polizei leaning on his car watching everyone drive past at normal speed.
I think the additional checks start this week, but I know what you mean. Germany has such a big, rural, land border that you could just pop over the mountains like the Von Trapps if you wanted to, weather permitting. Not sure how they will ensure no crossings.

Last time I drove to France (2022) the checks on the Belgian border were far more extensive. Two bored gendarmes and all traffic had to slow to a crawl.

The crossing from Hungary into Austria on the Budapest/Vienna motorway is nearly always manned, traffic reduced to a crawl and often quite backed-up. Occasionally have to wave a passport....

Bazzer

.... Germany has such a big, rural, land border that you could just pop over the mountains like the Von Trapps if you wanted to, weather permitting.....
As my wife and I discovered accidentally, that was possible even before the fall of the Berlin wall. Only we did it from Germany into Czechoslovakia.

Top Bottom