The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Do you really think that means the whole country is safe irrespective of one's ethnicity etc?

It's a safe country, albeit a poorer one. That's why there are so many illegal economic migrants

All uphill

Of course it's safe, you can go on holiday there.

Anyone who enters the UK without papers and not through proper channels is classed illegal immigrant. They have no right to claim asylum at anytime

Illegal immigrant bill

What are the proper channels for someone whose country won't allow them a passport or permission to exit?

Reactions: C R

CXRAndy

Veteran
If it's a safe country why has the UK continued to accept that some Albanians are refugees?

All immigrants who try to enter via boats, back of lorries, stowaways are now classed illegal with no chance of asylum -ever. They can be deported at any time

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Of course it's safe, you can go on holiday there.

So why did immigration staff grant asylum to the Albanians I cited above?

Anyone who enters the UK without papers and not through proper channels is classed illegal immigrant. They have no right to claim asylum at anytime

Not during the time that any of your quoted stats relate to.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Only 50 or so we're granted permission last year, I don't know the country breakdown.

I suspect Albania folk will all be rejected

I suspect Albania folk will all be rejected

I've said before that if I were in charge of reducing the Asylum backlog I'd start with low hanging fruit.

If Albania, or perhaps most of it for most of its people is safe then sorting the chancers from the possibly trafficked would be a start.

Equally there are people from Syria, Sudan or Afghanistan who have ammissible claims that are obvious to a one eyed man with glaucoma riding a galloping horse.

The apparent unwillingness of Braverman and her predecessor Patel to do that is, to me, evidence that they're engaging in performative rather than practical politics.

CXRAndy

Veteran
I've said before that if I were in charge of reducing the Asylum backlog I'd start with low hanging fruit.

But we have a system and laws which block immediate removal. Everybody claims asylum, they are told that in France before being trafficked. This blocks instant removal.

The government introduced illegal immigration bill to remove the automatic right to settle in the UK. Once they have sorted the other litigation barriers being thrown ant them deportation should start to speed up. This should stem the flow across the channel/

The only example in current times, was when Australia intercepted all the Indonesians coming in boats, put them on a remote island and told them they weren't getting citizenship. It took about a year before the flow of boats stopped.

But we have a system and laws which block immediate removal. Everybody claims asylum, they are told that in France before being trafficked. This blocks instant removal.

The government introduced illegal immigration bill to remove the automatic right to settle in the UK. Once they have sorted the other litigation barriers being thrown at them deportation should start to speed up. This should stem the flow across the channel/

The only example in current times, was when Australia intercepted all the Indonesians coming in boats, put them on a remote island and told them they weren't getting citizenship. It took about a year before the flow of boats stopped.

There's no right to Asylum; the applicant has to meet criteria in relation to risk of persecution etc. If they want to decide simple clear-cut cases and remove people quickly they can do so.

There's no automatic right to settle either. The right to claim Asylum unless you arrived legally is (purportedly) removed by the Illegal Immigration Act. However the right doesn't exist merely in domestic law but is founded on treaty obligations. I've not seen much so far about challenges although legal journals have mapped out possible routes. Watch what happens when they try to detain and deport people arriving since Rex gave his assent.

Australia is a foreign place round the other side of the world. Just 'cos they speak English it doesn'r mean things that seem to have worked there will transfer to the UK. If we treated people in the way they have we'd rightly be hauled over the Strasbourg's coals.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Fines for employers will be at the level of £60,000 per employee who is illegally in the UK

Landlords upto £20,000 per person

Top Bottom