The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

I can, that's exactly why i was asking because in this case i don;t need to rely on studies as there are some numbers and that is that people 97% off people with an status are still on benefits 10 years later in the Netherlands. Now the numbers for the uk could be different off course, would be great if the uk released hose numbers too but so far i known they don't. But from ''they work harder'' to 97% is quite the difference. Party it surely is true, i mean those Bulgarian Poles etc. come here (western europe) when there young they make a lot of hours so they have some savings a few years later.

However that is just one group, that won't even show in all many numbers because they are temporarly workers.

My reading of Dutch government figures (from SER) suggests 42% of refugees aged 18 to 65 are in work after 5 years. Some may also be eligible for in work benefits.

1695127357958.png

Where do your figures come from?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I'm willing to assert that none of it is any evidence of poor treatment of asylum seekers.

The search continues...

Just to add to the previously cited examples, here’s the latest result of a public inquiry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-66846891

A public inquiry into a migrant removal centre found a toxic culture with detainees forcibly moved while naked and some subjected to unnecessary pain.
It found migrants at Brook House, near Gatwick Airport, were subjected to degrading treatment and to racist and derogatory language by staff.
The inquiry was triggered by a BBC Panorama investigation in 2017.
Inquiry chair Kate Eves recommended that the government change the law to limit detention at such centres.
Ms Eves called for a 28-day time limit for holding detainees.
There is currently no maximum period detainees can be held while they wait to be deported or fight for asylum.
The Brook House Inquiry Report found it to be a place of "stress and distress".
The inquiry identified 19 instances over a five-month period that amounted to mistreatment contrary to Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which protects you from inhumane, degrading treatment or punishment.
The 19 instances of mistreatment identified by the inquiry included:
  • Inappropriate use of force against 10 detainees
  • Forcibly moving detainees while naked or near naked
  • Unnecessary pain used on four detainees
  • Dangerous restraint techniques used on four detainees
  • Use of inappropriate and humiliating comments against two detainees during suicide attempts
  • Homophobic comments against one detainee
  • Initially failing to help a detainee after a suicide attempt
The centre was found to be overcrowded, dirty and noisy from aircraft at nearby Gatwick, while there were limited activities for detainees and prolific use of the so-called zombie drug Spice, with evidence custody officers were bringing it into the centre.
Ms Eves' report found staff had used inappropriate and dangerous force. In some incidents, teams of custody officers carried detainees naked and screaming through Brook House.
The report also found there was abusive and racist language used, including in two cases where detainees were trying to kill themselves.

Top Bottom