the UK is being laughed at

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Why keep falling for it then?
Aah, the old "I'll let them think I'm stupid" trick. My mistake, you're far too good at it. :rolleyes:

Beebo

Veteran
He’s not been invited to the dinner tonight either which has surprised this advisors.
Apparently comparing Ukraine to Brexit went down very badly.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
He’s not been invited to the dinner tonight either which has surprised this advisors.
It goes without saying that Johnson is an a*sehole, but the UK is a major contributor to NATO and should not be left out because of hurt feelings by some in the EU.....if that is the real reason. This is too important for petty politics.

PS. Just read that it is an EU leaders' summit meeting, and Johnson, as he wanted, is not an EU leader so his absence can be justified in a petty sort of way.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Nonsense, he's dining at the top table...
FOoSax7XIAYGFzw?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Beebo

Veteran
It goes without saying that Johnson is an a*sehole, but the UK is a major contributor to NATO and should not be left out because of hurt feelings by some in the EU.....if that is the real reason. This is too important for petty politics.

PS. Just read that it is an EU leaders' summit meeting, and Johnson, as he wanted, is not an EU leader so his absence can be justified in a petty sort of way.
Funny how Biden has been invited. Is he an EU leader now?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Funny how Biden has been invited. Is he an EU leader now?
I would have thought that, as the main funder and de facto "leader" of NATO, he would be the guest of honour.

As I said, a rather petty point not to invite Johnson. I normally am happy to see Johnson get snubbed but in this case they should be thinking that the country is a major contributor to NATO and forget about the personality of the man. We would be criticising him like mad if he had snubbed Macron in a dinner for the POTUS and European leaders.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
As I said, a rather petty point not to invite Johnson.
I'm not so sure. You are right about Britain being fairly important within NATO, but with years of defence reviews leading to cutbacks British influence must have waned quite a lot. Conventional forces have suffered due to the expense of the nuclear deterrent. The RAF is quite a force to be reckoned with, but deterring Russia requires a significant army presence, and an army just over twice the size of Belgium's will, I reckon, not put Putin off much.

More importantly is Johnson's reputation for dishonesty, which is fresh in the memories of anyone who had anything to do with Brexit. He simply cannot be relied upon.

The scruffy appearance of Hair Johnson doesn't exactly make you proud to be British either.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I'm not so sure. You are right about Britain being fairly important within NATO, but with years of defence reviews leading to cutbacks British influence must have waned quite a lot. Conventional forces have suffered due to the expense of the nuclear deterrent. The RAF is quite a force to be reckoned with, but deterring Russia requires a significant army presence, and an army just over twice the size of Belgium's will, I reckon, not put Putin off much.
As a brief comparison, Russia has lost more tanks in Ukraine than the British army has tanks.

Top Bottom