These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

_nc_ohc=uGGIc5XFYhwAX8lF7YB&_nc_ht=scontent-lcy1-1.jpg

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Isn't the rate of admission to hospital a more important metric these days?

The British might have overdone it in suddenly getting rid of the restrictions but I am wondering if the retention of some of them here, such as masking and perspex screens in supermarkets, is really achieving anything.

Saj’s press Conference was pathetic this evening. Does this govt. ever learn? How many more bodies need to pile-up? The NHS is already backed-up, why make it worst?
Hopeless and heartless…

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is that chart actually meaningful?

It takes no account of population size.

So, Iceland is bottom of the chart (ie best), with a population of approximately 350,000, versus our (approx) 66,000,000, is that really a surprise?

Perhaps, a chart showing daily infection rate per 1000 population, and/or daily infection rate compared to population density, would be more meaningful?

Not disputing that UK may be making a mess of Covid Control, but, many of the figures being bandied about are meaningless, even assuming they are accurate.

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran

So, Iceland is bottom of the chart (ie best), with a population of approximately 350,000, versus our (approx) 66,000,000, is that really a surprise?

Perhaps, a chart showing daily infection rate per 1000 population, and/or daily infection rate compared to population density, would be more meaningful?

Not disputing that UK may be making a mess of Covid Control, but, many of the figures being bandied about are meaningless, even assuming they are accurate.
The graph is very striking, and you’re right about the per population metric. But Germany, France, Italy and Spain are all on the list. And anyone with an understanding knows that these countries have large populations.
Which ever way you cut it the UK is doing badly.

BoldonLad

The graph is very striking, and you’re right about the per population metric. But Germany, France, Italy and Spain are all on the list. And anyone with an understanding knows that these countries have large populations.
Which ever way you cut it the UK is doing badly.

Quite, I did say I was not disputing that UK was doing badly.

But, quoting questionable figures just makes people disbelieve everything they read/hear, which is not helpful. IMHO.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Quite, I did say I was not disputing that UK was doing badly.

But, quoting questionable figures just makes people disbelieve everything they read/hear, which is not helpful. IMHO.
Is this one closer to your requirements?

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...tbreaks=false&country=USA~GBR~CAN~DEU~ITA~IND
You can change the countries using the link above.

BoldonLad

Saj’s press C

It's statistics. If the population is over 20 million, they do a % of the pop per 1 million.

If the pop is under that, it's a % of the population per 100,000. It means that the figuers are statistically accurate for Covid infections in that country regardless of the population size.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Yes, that is more like it. Bar chart would be easier to read IMHO. Just about to join daughter no4 for lunch, will play with graph later, Brazil should be interesting.
It might be interesting but the figures are dependent on how much testing is going on. An untested case does not show as a case so you have to apply a ''look less, find less'' filter to the results. Interestingly, the UK dashboard is showing just under 50,000 new cases, the Zoe app is showing just under 80,000.

Beebo

Veteran
It might be interesting but the figures are dependent on how much testing is going on. An untested case does not show as a case so you have to apply a ''look less, find less'' filter to the results. Interestingly, the UK dashboard is showing just under 50,000 new cases, the Zoe app is showing just under 80,000.
That was the Trump school of thought.
Test no one, report zero cases.

BoldonLad

It's statistics. If the population is over 20 million, they do a % of the pop per 1 million.

If the pop is under that, it's a % of the population per 100,000. It means that the figuers are statistically accurate for Covid infections in that country regardless of the population size.

OK, I can buy that... so.... why include countries with populations of less than 20million? Unless, that is, you want to make look even worse than it is (and, yes, as I have said already, it is bad).

BoldonLad

Yes, another possible distortion in the figures. How do we know that testing is uniform across all of the examples quoted?

I repeat, I am not trying to justify or excuse the UK figures, but, there are some very suspect numbers being bandied about, and has been for the last 12-18 months. Personally, I am beginning to disregard just about all of them, no matter where the originate from. I suspect, I am not alone.

Top Bottom