Universal credit: Should the temporary increase be kept for longer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Yes. Is there any other humane answer?
I'll try! The government is now facing severe difficulties with stagflation, supply chain problems and spiralling fuel costs. Ministers exhorting the world not to panic will be counterproductive if those ministers are untrusted.

Trying to reduce UC back to pre-covid levels at a time of steeply rising inflation will only make the government even less popular. Sunak's Eat Out to Help Out will come back as Don't Eat to Help Out and will bite him on the bum. Though government and Bank of England projections so far suggest that high inflation is only a temporary phenomenon, I see little to back this up.

The combined effects of fuel poverty and reduced incomes for the low waged could well lead to a latter-day Winter of Discontent that removes this government from power and bring in a more centre right or maybe even centre left rule. Which, depending on your point of view, could be a Very Good Thing.

Which is why I reckon Sunak will bottle it. He doesn't look like someone likely to risk tarnishing his rating.

(Not reducing UC would, of course, be morally repugnant but I doubt that ethical considerations will be figure large in this government's considerations.)

steve292

Yes, without a doubt. Also, it would be a good idea to deal with the employers who pay such poor wages that UC is required for 40% of the workforce.
There's the route cause of it right there. No way should anybody workimg full time require state aid in that form. It's effectively subsidising profits.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Also, it would be a good idea to deal with the employers who pay such poor wages that UC is required for 40% of the workforce.
A link to evidence for that figure would be interesting. Please.
There's the route cause of it right there. No way should anybody workimg full time require state aid in that form. It's effectively subsidising profits.
But we haven't actually been shown the figure from a reputable source yet, it may not be quite correct. But don't worry, we will get clarity any minute now. Although I looked and could not actually find the figure, it must be there somewhere surely.

The number of people in employment must be a 'known known'

The number of people claiming Universal Credit while receiving pay from employers is a 'known known'; it can be derived from the Real Time Information feed that informs UC when payroll is run for claimants.

There will be degrees of grey around people in faux self employment and those mixing employment and self employed work.

Also a huge number in work are still on legacy tax credits. They only move to UC if driven by another change like moving to a different LA while needing housing costs or an award of legacy DWP benefits ending.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The number of people in employment must be a 'known known'

The number of people claiming Universal Credit while receiving pay from employers is a 'known known'; it can be derived from the Real Time Information feed that informs UC when payroll is run for claimants.

There will be degrees of grey around people in faux self employment and those mixing employment and self employed work.

Also a huge number in work are still on legacy tax credits. They only move to UC if driven by another change like moving to a different LA while needing housing costs or an award of legacy DWP benefits ending.

woulnt those figures include part-time workers?

I thought one of the aims of UC was to allow/encourage a situation were everyone who was capable could enter the workplace, even part-time. Thus removing one of the obstacles ie the problem of being better off not working than working?

Milkfloat

Am I right in thinking that so far nobody on the new NACA believes that the temporary increase should be removed now? I jnwo we are a small group - but blimey we all seem to be in agreement.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Am I right in thinking that so far nobody on the new NACA believes that the temporary increase should be removed now? I jnwo we are a small group - but blimey we all seem to be in agreement.

As my posts have hopefully indicated, I question the mechanics of UC, and, other aspects of the benefit system. But, I do think the £20 uplift should be withdrawn, perhaps, not all at once, the withdrawal should be in stages. IMHO. ;)

D

Deleted member 49

As my posts have hopefully indicated, I question the mechanics of UC, and, other aspects of the benefit system. But, I do think the £20 uplift should be withdrawn, perhaps, not all at once, the withdrawal should be in stages. IMHO. ;)
Work harder ?

Top Bottom